Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    More and more I'm thinking a Windows Home Server is the solution. It will work with SharkPlay, since I saw someone test that in the SharkPlay thread.

It would be great to roll my own, but I want something small, neat and low power consumption. I'll probably wait on the next release of the Windows Home Server though; it makes no sense buying now when the next version is *supposed* to come out in 2010.

I doubt that the ARM based Linux in the QNAP or Synology have audio support built in.

In the mean time I can probably buy the RadioSHARK 2 and play around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
    I doubt that the ARM based Linux in the QNAP or Synology have audio support built in.
    I have a recollection that some NAS had audio support as a user reported using an USB audio adaptor and so the NAS also worked as a player.

For an example see this post about audio out from a QNAP TS-209 http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=12285

Thanks for all your help and tips guys, especially bpa.

The post to add audio to a QNAP looks promising. A little risky for me though since I wont be able to return anything that I buy since I have to ship in everything from the US.

I'm going to start by getting a Squeezebox Boom and see how that works. From there I may step up to the radio SHARK 2 if needed.

Then after that I'll decide on a NAS, either QNAP or the next release of Windows Home Server.

- rmjb

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Others may be available that are not listed on RadioTime, and for those you can "tune in" via the URL.
    Or you can contact RadioTime so they can add it to the guide.

Hi bpa,

I know this is a stale thread but I see that they Synology NASes support USB audio devices. See here:
    http://www.synology.com/support/faq_...d=392&lang=enu
    and here:
    http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index...e_USB_Speakers

Does this mean that the RadioShark will work with these NASes?

The RadioShark is a USB audio source unlike a speaker which is a USB audio output - you would need to check if the NAS kernel has audio input support included not just audio output. Also you need to determine what sort of audio support has been implemented usually OSS or ALSA or Pulse as it will affect what other support applications you need.

The RadioShark support app for tuning is built for a 2.6 x86 Linux kernel with a specific version of glibc. To acquire audio from the RadioShark the plugin need a version of either ecasound (OSS or ALSA) or arecord (ALSA).

IIRC Synology NAS have a variety of processors and I'm not sure of kernel version of glibc support so you would probably have to rebuild the RadioShark support app to support your NAS.

I'm after tunable FM radio with multi room setup and I guess this is a good way to do it.
    Since Radioshark is no longer available, is using RTL8232 an option?
    I've found out, on this page
    askubuntu.com/questions/173643/is-there-a-simple-recipe-for-listening-to-rtl2832u-fm-radio
    that tuning should be quite easy with
    Code:
    rtl_fm -f 96.3e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
    How hard/easy would be to adapt original radioshark plugin to work with rtl sdr sticks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rasto View Post
    I'm after tunable FM radio with multi room setup and I guess this is a good way to do it.
    Since Radioshark is no longer available, is using RTL8232 an option?
    I've found out, on this page
    askubuntu.com/questions/173643/is-there-a-simple-recipe-for-listening-to-rtl2832u-fm-radio
    that tuning should be quite easy with
    Code:
    rtl_fm -f 96.3e6 -W -s 200000 -r 48000 - | aplay -r 48k -f S16_LE
    How hard/easy would be to adapt original radioshark plugin to work with rtl sdr sticks?
    Quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Quite easy.
    Hello
    someone have success to stream AM / FM to squeezecenter ?

Quote Originally Posted by tanguy View Post
    Hello
    someone have success to stream AM / FM to squeezecenter ?
    Yes with Griffin radioShark (plenty old ones on ebay) .

If you want to be able to "tune" from an SB player - it will depend on the Radio interface device you choose (and the OS of your LMS). So except for Radioshark - there is no off the shelf solution.