Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

AM / FM Radio + Squeezebox

Hi guys,

I'm looking to invest in Squeezebox as my multiroom audio platform, but I noticed that none of the devices have an AM / FM radio built in, they only support Internet Radio.

Getting our local radio stations will be very important for the spouse approval factor, especially since this will be quite a bit of money in our local currency here in Trinidad. If my wife can't get the stations she wants then I would have wasted the money.

Is there any way to get our local stations on the Squeezebox systems?

- rmjb

Have you checked to see if any of your local stations stream on the internet? That's how I listen to local stations on my Squeezeboxes. Below is a screenshot of the T&T stations that are listed in RadioTime. Others may be available that are not listed on RadioTime, and for those you can "tune in" via the URL.

If your local stations are not available over the internet, you could still have your SB working alongside your AM/FM tuner. So instead of replacing your local AM/FM stations, it would be adding to them.

Also, create a free www.MySqueezeBox.com account, then go to MySqueezeBox.com > Remote Control > Internet Radio > Local
    Or try the Search feature and/or World > City under Internet Radio.

No registered players needed to see what is available to stream, but this will NOT play streams on your computer.
    Using the full SBS on your computer may offer additional streams from your area as well.

IF you really really want FM - I have a pluginto support the Griffin RadioShark 2 ( see http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/radioshark2 ). You need a local SBS running either Windows or Linux and the Radioshark is plugged into the same server.

The RadioShark FM reception is OK but AM is not great.

Hey thanks guys, I didn't know that local stations streamed on the net.

I downloaded the server and SqueezePlay to test these out, unfortunately a lot of the streams don't work properly . I only got a couple to play out of the stations she wanted. And some of the stations didn't show up.

I'm interested in interfacing with that radio module, we only need FM really. Do you have any more details about about that posted anywhere bpa?

-rmjb
    Last edited by rmjb; 2010-10-03 at 11:58. Reason: clarification

The RadioShark plugin thread is here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54926

The plugin is available from the Settings/Plugins under 3rd party plugins.

A cheaper alternative, assuming the SBS server has a line-in port (which is normal for a PC), would be to connect the headphone socket of an FM radio to PC Line-in ands use WaveInput plugin to stream audio from Line-in socket. The downside of this method is tuning is manually done on radio.

BTW software Squeezeplay cannot play some formats such as WMA so that it is possible a hardware player will play the local stations that didn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
    I downloaded the server and SqueezePlay to test these out, unfortunately a lot of the streams don't work properly . I only got a couple to play out of the stations she wanted. And some of the stations didn't show up....
    Very rarely is a station listed in SBS server or MySqueezeBox.com that the hardware players cannot play.
    So if it is there in the menu's it will almost certainly play on the actual hardware player.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Others may be available that are not listed on RadioTime, and for those you can "tune in" via the URL.
    Or you can contact RadioTime so they can add it to the guide.

Hi bpa,

I know this is a stale thread but I see that they Synology NASes support USB audio devices. See here:
    http://www.synology.com/support/faq_...d=392&lang=enu
    and here:
    http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index...e_USB_Speakers

Does this mean that the RadioShark will work with these NASes?

The RadioShark is a USB audio source unlike a speaker which is a USB audio output - you would need to check if the NAS kernel has audio input support included not just audio output. Also you need to determine what sort of audio support has been implemented usually OSS or ALSA or Pulse as it will affect what other support applications you need.

The RadioShark support app for tuning is built for a 2.6 x86 Linux kernel with a specific version of glibc. To acquire audio from the RadioShark the plugin need a version of either ecasound (OSS or ALSA) or arecord (ALSA).

IIRC Synology NAS have a variety of processors and I'm not sure of kernel version of glibc support so you would probably have to rebuild the RadioShark support app to support your NAS.