Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

AM / FM Radio + Squeezebox

Hi guys,

I'm looking to invest in Squeezebox as my multiroom audio platform, but I noticed that none of the devices have an AM / FM radio built in, they only support Internet Radio.

Getting our local radio stations will be very important for the spouse approval factor, especially since this will be quite a bit of money in our local currency here in Trinidad. If my wife can't get the stations she wants then I would have wasted the money.

Is there any way to get our local stations on the Squeezebox systems?

- rmjb

Have you checked to see if any of your local stations stream on the internet? That's how I listen to local stations on my Squeezeboxes. Below is a screenshot of the T&T stations that are listed in RadioTime. Others may be available that are not listed on RadioTime, and for those you can "tune in" via the URL.

If your local stations are not available over the internet, you could still have your SB working alongside your AM/FM tuner. So instead of replacing your local AM/FM stations, it would be adding to them.

Also, create a free www.MySqueezeBox.com account, then go to MySqueezeBox.com > Remote Control > Internet Radio > Local
    Or try the Search feature and/or World > City under Internet Radio.

No registered players needed to see what is available to stream, but this will NOT play streams on your computer.
    Using the full SBS on your computer may offer additional streams from your area as well.

IF you really really want FM - I have a pluginto support the Griffin RadioShark 2 ( see http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/radioshark2 ). You need a local SBS running either Windows or Linux and the Radioshark is plugged into the same server.

The RadioShark FM reception is OK but AM is not great.

Hey thanks guys, I didn't know that local stations streamed on the net.

I downloaded the server and SqueezePlay to test these out, unfortunately a lot of the streams don't work properly . I only got a couple to play out of the stations she wanted. And some of the stations didn't show up.

I'm interested in interfacing with that radio module, we only need FM really. Do you have any more details about about that posted anywhere bpa?

-rmjb
    Last edited by rmjb; 2010-10-03 at 11:58. Reason: clarification

The RadioShark plugin thread is here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54926

The plugin is available from the Settings/Plugins under 3rd party plugins.

A cheaper alternative, assuming the SBS server has a line-in port (which is normal for a PC), would be to connect the headphone socket of an FM radio to PC Line-in ands use WaveInput plugin to stream audio from Line-in socket. The downside of this method is tuning is manually done on radio.

BTW software Squeezeplay cannot play some formats such as WMA so that it is possible a hardware player will play the local stations that didn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
    I downloaded the server and SqueezePlay to test these out, unfortunately a lot of the streams don't work properly . I only got a couple to play out of the stations she wanted. And some of the stations didn't show up....
    Very rarely is a station listed in SBS server or MySqueezeBox.com that the hardware players cannot play.
    So if it is there in the menu's it will almost certainly play on the actual hardware player.

Thanks for the tip on the software vs. hardware players.

Some of the errors I got on the streams were "Icecast connection limit reached" which tells me the local stations are not putting a lot of effort into providing their internet streams.

I just read your SharkPlay plugin thread, that is some great work there!
    I was looking at using a QNAP NAS as the centre of my media platform, since this runs on an ARM based Linux will the plugin even work?

AM is not really needed since we only have a couple (literally) AM stations in Trinidad... and we don't listen to them.

Build yourself a mini pc based on an atom mobo so that you can have a real x86 cpu you be happier with the performance of SBS and transcoding between formats will work (needs cpu/fpu) .

Put in the OS of your choice and go

PS admin in remotely no need for keyboard or screen.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
    Some of the errors I got on the streams were "Icecast connection limit reached" which tells me the local stations are not putting a lot of effort into providing their internet streams.
    Not necessarily - there could be a lot of expat users using the internet but the station cannot afford network charges to support more users as they will only have a small local listenership which actually generates revenue.
    I just read your SharkPlay plugin thread, that is some great work there!
    I was looking at using a QNAP NAS as the centre of my media platform, since this runs on an ARM based Linux will the plugin even work?
    There is only a small custom application to tune the Radioshark and this could be built for an ARM system assuming the right tools, libraries and kernel modules (for USB support) are available.

There are two more fundamental issues:
    1. An audio subsystem such as OSS, ALSA or very unlikely Pulse is required.
    2. To encode a stream from WAV into Flac requires processor power and you have not specified the model - IIRC QNAP have NAS which have ARM processors ranging from about 250Mhz to 1.2Ghz. It is possible to get around this but you would need a good network to stream WAV.

You can test for the presence of an audio subsystem by plugging in some sort of audio source device such as USB microphone, USB audio adaptor, USB mic/Headphone set used for Skype etc. - often PC users have one of these. If OSS is installed then you will see new devices such as /dev/dsp0. For ALSA check the directory /proc/asound.

Once USB audio device is installed, check if you can you use arecord to copy the audio stream into a file. If arecord is not available then is likely ALSA is not installed. Use cp on /dev/dspx (x is a number) if OSS devices are used.
    Last edited by bpa; 2010-10-05 at 01:03.