Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is driving me nuts

Running latest versions of LMS and Squeezepad. Ripped music library and LMS reside on Mac. Played over UPNP to digital amp. I have the Qobuz and UPNP plugins on LMS.

Lately I am unable to play an album or playlist, whether from ripped files or streamed from Qobuz on the stereo. Playing on the Mac is fine.

I can select a track using Squeezepad and it plays, then stops. Despite LMS set to ‘play all tracks in albums or playlists’ it does not.
    A short while ago I could also fast forward a track my moving the progress slider. I can still move it, but all sound then stops. When the track reaches the end it does not play the next track.

Occasionally Squeezepad stops talking to my amp (via the Mac I know) and suddenly switches to my Ipad as the music player, with a completely different track.

And, if anything to do with it, when playing another input on the amp (e.g. TV via optical spdif) it will suddenly switch to the UPNP input as LMS suddenly ‘wakes up’ and decides it wants to continue with a playlist (left abandoned but not closed down, hours ago).

I just cannot seem to find any consistency in what is happening (this morning I managed to play three tracks in succession before the list stopped playing again).

Aaaagghh

Is your connection to the amp wired or wireless? If the latter, I'd check for network issues. Try another wireless channel. If you're using a mesh router, those are known to be problematic with LMS.

Are you using LMS as your server because you have other Squeezeboxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Is your connection to the amp wired or wireless? If the latter, I'd check for network issues. Try another wireless channel. If you're using a mesh router, those are known to be problematic with LMS.

Are you using LMS as your server because you have other Squeezeboxes?
    Wired, albeit via homeplugs.
    I have always used LMS. Used to have a SB Classic and a Touch, them Raspberry Pi, but now a Lyngdorf amp which as built in UPNP and Airplay support.

Did try Audirvana as the server and liked the sound and Qobuz integration but the Ipad controller interface was very poor. So will wait to see if they improve it.

Are you able to test temporarily via a long network cable to eliminate the homeplugs?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

This is driving me nuts

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Are you able to test temporarily via a long network cable to eliminate the homeplugs?
    I have to concur to the idea. I have been having homeplugs forever, all generations, all brands and they always have been a consistent disaster with issues like what you describe. If you can, remove them. I’ve not been able to get rid of all of them unfortunately, but at least I just have 2 for a simple bridge
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I have to concur to the idea. I have been having homeplugs forever, all generations, all brands and they always have been a consistent disaster with issues like what you describe. If you can, remove them. I’ve not been able to get rid of all of them unfortunately, but at least I just have 2 for a simple bridge
    I agree. They tend to start off working ok then seem to degrade badly with exactly these symptoms.
    I ended up wiring key rooms to remove home plugs from the equation and upgraded the WiFi with 2 x Business grade APs.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom - SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Pioneer ceiling speakers
    Guest Room - Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

+1 on homeplugs --- I started out with 2 netgear devices and was an inconsistent experience ... if ethernet cable is not possible, you can try another outlet for homeplug
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 21:27:07 CET 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I agree. They tend to start off working ok then seem to degrade badly with exactly these symptoms.
    I ended up wiring key rooms to remove home plugs from the equation and upgraded the WiFi with 2 x Business grade APs.
    I must be lucky. I have my LMS server on a Raspberry Pi connected to my router via Homeplugs and haven't noticed any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I must be lucky. I have my LMS server on a Raspberry Pi connected to my router via Homeplugs and haven't noticed any issues.

It really depends how many you have and how far they are and how many noise/black-out generators you have at your home. In my case, they really have always screwed up any real-time sensitive traffic like RTP. Anything that can't buffer will have these black-out periods from time to time. A while ago, I even wrote small C apps to verify what happens using UDP frames to confirm the issue
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    It really depends how many you have and how far they are and how many noise/black-out generators you have at your home. In my case, they really have always screwed up any real-time sensitive traffic like RTP. Anything that can't buffer will have these black-out periods from time to time. A while ago, I even wrote small C apps to verify what happens using UDP frames to confirm the issue
    My house is fairly small which probably helps and I only have three homeplugs. One connects to my Raspberry Pi LMS server and another to a Virginmedia TV box which are both upstairs and the router is downstairs with another Virginmedia TV box wired to the router. I had a strange issue where the Virginmedia boxes could see each other if the Raspberry Pi was not connected but lost contact with each other when the Pi was connected. This turned out to be an issue with the Virginmedia Hub 3 combined modem and router. Putting the Hub 3 in modem mode and adding a standalone router fixed the issue.