Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alarm is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder boy View Post
    In my opinion Logitech should pull it from their range until they can guarantee full functionality in the vast majority of cases. They are clearly selling a product they know is not fit for purpose and will not do what many people want it to!!
    The strange thing is that it do seems to work for some people, mostly people with a 24/7 SBS server on a computer. Similar issues can also be caused by error or non optimal configuration in your local network or your ISP.

However, due to the fact that people tends to complain here instead of telling Logitech support about their problems, I'm not sure Logitech are aware of how many people that are still affected. So even if Logitech support staff isn't able to solve the problem immediately it's extremely important that people tell them about their problems.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    The strange thing is that it do seems to work for some people, mostly people with a 24/7 SBS server on a computer. Similar issues can also be caused by error or non optimal configuration in your local thnetwork or your ISP.
    That's always been the case. Fairly reliable with a local server, not at all reliable with mysb.com. Part of the problem lies in the lack of reliability of mysb.com, but that should be dealt with in the software running on the Radio/Touch.

However, due to the fact that people tends to complain here instead of telling Logitech support about their problems, I'm not sure Logitech are aware of how many people that are still affected.
    Oh, come on. How could they not be aware of it?

The biggest problem is that Squeezebox has been deprecated, with few resources remaining in software development. There's no such thing as a critical problem for a product that represents 1/1000th of 1% of a company's revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    There's no such thing as a critical problem for a product that represents 1/1000th of 1% of a company's revenues.
    Good point. In their 2010 Financial Statements, they report sales revenue of $1,966,748,000 (almost $2 billion dollars). I gotta believe that squeezebox products are a very small part of that amount.

The biggest problem is that Squeezebox has been deprecated, with few resources remaining in software development.
    The reason would be one or a combination of:
    1. They no longer see any potential in the Squeezebox products
    2. They think the software is cheaper to maintain than it is
    3. They have put a maximum limit on what the maintenance is allowed to cost
    4. They aren't aware of any major problem because they refuse to read community forums and instead relies on people telling them directly by calling the official support channel, which is the same way as many other companies handle support.
    5. They temporary needed the resources for some other project which have higher priority.

If they really don't see any potential in the Squeezebox products, I can't understand why the developers are doing the stuff they are doing. Considering the amount of development resources there are a lot of new development going on in 7.6 and I really can't see the point of this if the products are considered deprecated. If you are correct, it would have been a lot better to only focus this development time on bug fixing.

If something costs a lot and you aren't sure about its potential, it's not that strange if you like to restrict the costs during a period until you have investigated/analyzed the potential.

There's no such thing as a critical problem for a product that represents 1/1000th of 1% of a company's revenues.
    Agreed, especially if barely none of the customers is even willing to call the support or post in their official support forum and ask them to fix it.
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Agreed, especially if barely none of the customers is even willing to call the support or post in their official support forum and ask them to fix it.
    I had a gander over at the support site. People *are* mentioning issues with the software, and the tone is similar to that here. Posts with titles such as

Squeezebox Radio - Disastrous software for months ...

and

Squeezebox 7.5.1 Update--Same Old Problems

would certainly give them a clue that there might be a problem. And, given these posts (and the moderator over there stating "Please be assured that your voice is being heard") would lead any decent product manager to have a gander over *here*, where he/she should *know* (or would certainly find out in short order) that there is a fairly active community largely dissatisfied with the Radio software design.

It's time for Logitech to either properly fund/staff this product line or sell it back to a specialty audio manufacturer. The Radio could have infinitely more potential, and the developers could focus on things like music and programming features, if the fundamental client/server design were sound and silly things like an alarm clock simply "just worked".

-mark

I have reported the problems directly to Logitech by their established procedure. It resulted in their replacing the SBRadio for me, however it made no difference and I so informed them.

They have told me that they are aware of the problems and are working on updated firmware.

In my report I concentrated on the display freezing as to me that is the most annoying problem for me.

Not much more I can do but wait.

Quote Originally Posted by mbonsack View Post
    I had a gander over at the support site. People *are* mentioning issues with the software, and the tone is similar to that here. Posts with titles such as

Squeezebox Radio - Disastrous software for months ...

and

Squeezebox 7.5.1 Update--Same Old Problems
    That's good.
    People should keep complaining in those threads and eventually I'm sure it will get some priority because the support staff gets tired of reading the complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by mbonsack View Post
    It's time for Logitech to either properly fund/staff this product line or sell it back to a specialty audio manufacturer. The Radio could have infinitely more potential, and the developers could focus on things like music and programming features, if the fundamental client/server design were sound and silly things like an alarm clock simply "just worked".
    You don't have to convince anyone here, we all feel the same way.

I don't know if this little tidbit is still of any value for the masses, but it seems to have improved my experience of the alarm.

When you go to sleep at night, be sure that you do so either via sleep mode, or by pausing (not stopping) the current stream and then powering off into standby.

I seem to remember someone mentioning that if you pause, the radio doesn't know how soon you intend to resume, so it maintains a constant wireless connection. Whereas if you press stop on the stream or worse, merely press the power button, the radio assumes you won't be coming back anytime soon and "relaxes" the wireless connection, resulting in intermittent behavior with the alarm the next morning.

Logical or not, it's improved my alarm experience. Your mileage may vary.

I also know the issues on the alarm.

I am a hapy Duet user and for that reason we've expanded the Sb-suite to a Radio. And on the alarm it is where the troubles starts.

Bases on this thread i've added a bug to the logitech people as well.

Thx for the suggestions for the sleep mode and the pausing of the radio. I will try this.

Anybody know what the experiences are with waking us with your own music? Does it have the same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by BLatSD View Post
    , or by pausing (not stopping) the current stream and then powering off into standby.
    There is only a pause button, how would you stop oterwise?
    2 Booms, 1 radio, a touch and an SB3...think that's enough?