Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basic Squeezbox Facts.....?

Okay I am sure that the regulars get absolutely sick of people like me... I am a newbie to the world of Squeezebox. I have wanted one for ages.

The dream was always to get some NAS turn my CDs into Lossless files and then connect (via wireless) my Squeezebox to the NAS and way-hey....!

Well the first step was always to buy the NAS and turn the CDs into Lossless files. I can then carboot the CDs and save for a Squeezebox. So I have. The best value NAS that I could get was a 4tb BlackArmor NAS 220.

Specifications:

I wanted to link to the specs but I am not allowed...

Now.... having got the NAS I have begun to think about the Squeezebox end and it is now that I discover about the Squeezebox Server. Thinking logically perhaps I should have realised that cars do not run on fairy dust and Squeezebox will need some software to order and access massive memory files on NAS.

SBS can run on Windows Home Server and Netgear's ReadyNAS... but not the Seagate.

Can I make it run (without having a puter turned on)?

How?

What is it going to cost, perhaps I should sell my shiny new NAS and buy Netgear NAS (expensive)?

HELP

PLEEEEASE!

Welcome to the squeezebox tribe.

There is actually a dedicated forum for 3rd party hardware including NAS.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Also, here is a link to a beginers guide
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...rs#NAS_Devices

and list of compatable NAS
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NAS_Compatibility

I dont run a NAS so other than the links, im afraid im not much help

If you want a cheap platform for SBS you could consider going along the SheevaPlug route. Look in the 3rd party hardware forum for lots of info.

You could run this alongside your NAS. You will probably find this to be a less painful route than trying to get your NAS to run SBS (I have no experience but my impression is that even compatible NASes sometimes have performance problems). Meanwhile you keep your NAS to do the job it is good at.

Hmmmm the compatible devices list is an eye opener and one thing that I should have seen before I went a NAS hunting... It does look as though the SheevaPlug is the way forward, but it is a pity because I paid about ú260 for the Nas & the SheevaPlug will come in at about ú100.... I am sure for ú360 I could have gotten a Netgear ReadyNas Duo and 2 x 2tb disks....

Hi,

In article <loosetooth.4gq4bz1283535001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    loosetooth<loosetooth.4gq4bz1283535001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > I can then carboot the CDs and save for a Squeezebox.

Not sure on the legality of that personally...

Andy

Okay well neither am I, but I am not illegally downloading, the CDs have been bougght and if I want to sell my CDs I will.... unless you are a police officer?.... :O

Hi,

In article <loosetooth.4gqazz1283543641 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    loosetooth<loosetooth.4gqazz1283543641 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > Okay well neither am I, but I am not illegally downloading, the CDs have
    > been bougght and if I want to sell my CDs I will.... unless you are a
    > police officer?.... :O

Nope, I'm not a police officer. And yes, it's entirely up to you if you sell
    them.

If you bought them, burnt a copy, and then sold the original at a car boot
    sale, would that be Ok too?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by loosetooth View Post
    Okay well neither am I, but I am not illegally downloading, the CDs have been bougght and if I want to sell my CDs I will.... unless you are a police officer?.... :O
    Of course it's down to you - but that would be illegal. Just so you know - in case you didn't.
    Legally there's no difference between downloading the files or buying the CD's, recording/ripping them and then selling them on - or even giving them away. You didn't buy "the music" - you bought the physical carrier (in this case the CD). You can't sell the carrier and retain a copy of the music. Seems a lot of folks don't quite get this...
    Last edited by Phil Leigh; 2010-09-03 at 14:51.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Okay well lets be clear. I am not talking about the buying of new CDs and turning them into FLAC and selling the originals on... it is a bit of a hassle. From now I will buy FLACs from Napster or some such alternative....

What we are talking about is the turning my present CDs (from the last 20 years) into FLACs and selling them.

Is it illegal? Probably. But then it is legal to hang a Welshman in Worcester if you find him within the old walls and it is after midnight.... not all law is particularly sensible or adherred to.

I feel no moral compunction to adhere to the law of destroying Radiohead's "OK Computer" after I have changed into a FLAC... I will sell it for ú2-4 at a carboot and if that makes me a criminal then so be it.

Im with you

Loosetooth your absolutely right. The more laws brought in the more likely it is that we are all eventually criminalised.
    Our last government went law happy here.