Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Another option is to use a separate device as your now playing screen. There is a SBS skin that can be accessed from any browser and gives a nice now playing display. I have an old HP tablet I wasn't using, started a browser and pointed it at the NP skin, and presto I have a large now playing display thats easy to read from across the room. Of course thats takes a computer and screen, but any old barely able to boot system can be used for that.

Another option is a wifi enabled photo frame. Someone has written a program to drive these, but its a fairly lashed together affair rather than a slick product. The problem is these are designed to look at photo sites with specific protocols, not generic web pages. The solution for this looks like a photo site to the fram, but of course the "photo" is the now playing screen.

John S.

While Now Playing readability is important, the more serious issue that affect usability of the Touch is text size during navigation, which cannot be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    Is it possible to do a single field that spans multiple lines so it doesn't scroll? For instance if I were willing to just have the track name (no artist, album etc) on screen could it be spread over three lines with no scrolling? Of course then you have the issue of where to make line breaks, but THATS a different issue.
    I haven't seen any automatic support for doing line breaks, but it would definitely be possible to implement.

The question is just how the line breaking should work:
    - Line breaking between words is going to waste unnecessary space if there is a log word on the right side which doesn't fit on the upper row.
    - Line breaking in middle of word is going to look and work bad because your brain isn't going to recognize the word which is split upon two lines.

Actually, there might already be line break support when I think about it because it's implemented for the rsstext item type in Custom Clock, I think that should work for all *text items, for example a "tracktext" item where you have set the "text" attribute to "TITLE". To make it work, the "scrolling" attribute needs to be set to false and the "linelength" attribute needs to have a value (number of pixel width of each line). Unfortunately, the "linelength" attribute currently doesn't exist in "tracktext" in the Custom Clock Helper configuration page, but it is supported in the applet.

The easiest way to solve it, is probably just to add "lineheight" and "linelength" attributes to the Custom Clock Helper plugin.

That way, you can configure a "tracktext" item as:
    - text: TITLE
    - fontsize: 60
    - lineheight:80
    - linelength: 400
    - scrolling: false
    - posx: 10
    - posy: 10

This should give you a multi line title with 80 pixels between the lines, a 60 pixel font and a line break after 400 pixels. You will have to experiment with the exact values, these are just examples.

I've attached a patch which I think should add the necessary lineheight and linelength attributes to Custom Clock Helper if you like to try it.

If you try the attached patch and it's usable, let me know and I'll include it in next Custom Clock Helper release.

If you don't like to patch Custom Clock Helper, you can also modify the settings page on the Touch for Custom Clock clock using vi or similar tool. /etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/CustomClock.lua
    I think you need to reboot the Touch for the changes to take effect in this case.

If you want to patch the standard SqueezePlay Now Playing screen to do line breaks, you will find the Custom Clock line breaking logic in the _wordwrap function in CustomClockApplet.lua.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    While Now Playing readability is important, the more serious issue that affect usability of the Touch is text size during navigation, which cannot be fixed.
    Unless someone provides a patch for SqueezePlay that fixes it.

However, the issue is that the Touch screen isn't really wide enough to have a 2 line display as this would result in too much scrolling. This is probably also why Logitech has selected to have three lines in the large font mode.

If I remember correctly it works fairly good in most menus but there was one menu that used formatting with multi line text items with really small fonts. I think it was something playlist related, not sure if it was the "Playlists" menu or the "Current Playlist" that had a lot smaller font than all the other menus.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    Another option is a wifi enabled photo frame. Someone has written a program to drive these, but its a fairly lashed together affair rather than a slick product. The problem is these are designed to look at photo sites with specific protocols, not generic web pages. The solution for this looks like a photo site to the fram, but of course the "photo" is the now playing screen.

John S.
    I found that the Samsung 10" frame SPF-107H can be used as mini monitor through mini USB connection to a computer. It could be used with Nowplaing plugin or Moose to display the now playing screen much better visible than the Touch screen.
    Chris
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/function/s...yword=spf-107H

Quote Originally Posted by krzys View Post
    I found that the Samsung 10" frame SPF-107H can be used as mini monitor through mini USB connection to a computer. It could be used with Nowplaing plugin or Moose to display the now playing screen much better visible than the Touch screen.
    Nice. 1024 x 600 resolution, so they're probably using a screen similar to those used in their netbooks. What someone needs to do now is develop an app that runs on the Touch to feed the frame through the Touch's USB port.

Anyone think the Touch is capable of running a browser?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Nice. 1024 x 600 resolution, so they're probably using a screen similar to those used in their netbooks. What someone needs to do now is develop an app that runs on the Touch to feed the frame through the Touch's USB port.

Anyone think the Touch is capable of running a browser?
    I would love to connect an old vga monitor via a USB adapter to a Touch so I can see what's playing.

IPad my SBT is now my BCR ( blurry colored rectangle ) the old SB3 was readable for me without glasses on not the Touch. Withe pad in my hand i see what going on.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Multi line title

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    I haven't seen any automatic support for doing line breaks, but it would definitely be possible to implement.

The question is just how the line breaking should work:
    - Line breaking between words is going to waste unnecessary space if there is a log word on the right side which doesn't fit on the upper row.
    - Line breaking in middle of word is going to look and work bad because your brain isn't going to recognize the word which is split upon two lines.

Actually, there might already be line break support when I think about it because it's implemented for the rsstext item type in Custom Clock, I think that should work for all *text items, for example a "tracktext" item where you have set the "text" attribute to "TITLE". To make it work, the "scrolling" attribute needs to be set to false and the "linelength" attribute needs to have a value (number of pixel width of each line). Unfortunately, the "linelength" attribute currently doesn't exist in "tracktext" in the Custom Clock Helper configuration page, but it is supported in the applet.

The easiest way to solve it, is probably just to add "lineheight" and "linelength" attributes to the Custom Clock Helper plugin.

That way, you can configure a "tracktext" item as:
    - text: TITLE
    - fontsize: 60
    - lineheight:80
    - linelength: 400
    - scrolling: false
    - posx: 10
    - posy: 10

This should give you a multi line title with 80 pixels between the lines, a 60 pixel font and a line break after 400 pixels. You will have to experiment with the exact values, these are just examples.

I've attached a patch which I think should add the necessary lineheight and linelength attributes to Custom Clock Helper if you like to try it.

If you try the attached patch and it's usable, let me know and I'll include it in next Custom Clock Helper release.

If you don't like to patch Custom Clock Helper, you can also modify the settings page on the Touch for Custom Clock clock using vi or similar tool. /etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/CustomClock.lua
    I think you need to reboot the Touch for the changes to take effect in this case.

If you want to patch the standard SqueezePlay Now Playing screen to do line breaks, you will find the Custom Clock line breaking logic in the _wordwrap function in CustomClockApplet.lua.

Hello,

sorry to bring up this really old thread - I have searched through a lot of posts and could not find anything else.

I am trying to build a custom clock as "Now Playing" screensaver. I would like to have the title broken into three lines. And it does not work as you describe above. I can only see the first line, if I turn the "animate" attribute on, I see the rest of an underlying second line, but I don't succeed in putting lines beneath each other.

So far, I am using this item definition:

Code:
    {"itemtype":"tracktext","line2fontsize":"","align":"left","fontsize":"22","fontfile":"","width":"320","visibilitygroup":"","order":"","visibilitytime":"","posy":"107","linelength":"320","line1fontsize":"","line1height":"40","line2height":"40","line3height":"40","posx":"5","lineheight":"40","visibilityorder":"","fonturl":"","text":"TITLE","margin":"20","color":"lightgray","line3fontsize":"","scrolling":"false","animate":"false"},
    Is there anybody who has done something like that?

Examples would be highly appreciated! Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by schup011; 2019-12-29 at 16:23.