Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

how to listen to my music without computer on

So I have a classic squeezebox in my living room next to my stereo. My house is wired so I have it hardwired to my router. My computer is upstairs and my ripped CD collection is on an external hard drive next to the computer. So now if I want to listen to music I have to first go upstairs and turn on the computer and hard drive. Is there another option short of leaving my computer on at all times? Im not the most computer savvy person, but there must be some better way to do this.
    Thanks

Touch or Dedicated Server

Short answer is NO.

But you have at least two other options. You can buy a Touch and run TinySC on it with a USB drive attached. Or you can build/buy a dedicated Music Server that you leave on all the time. As an example the Vortexbox Appliance uses less then 25 Watts and costs about $25 a year (in most places) to leave on 24/7/365.

I am using both to some extend but my dedicated Music Server is always on.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Also, see to it that the the server supports WOL = wake on lan .

Then the machine can be booted by the squeezebox.

When pressing power it will send a WOL packet then, you ingnore the "can't conect.." spiel a while later the server is up and running .

Whether wol works or not depends on motherboard and network card and bios.
    How to turn it depends on os .
    Google wake on lan .

Note the computer must be wired to the network for it to work
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If your computer motherboard and network card support Wake-on-Lan you do not need to go upstairs. Just set the computer power saving option to put the computer into standby and then the SB will wake it when you try and use it to listen to music.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

WOL any real savings over a purpose built server?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    If your computer motherboard and network card support Wake-on-Lan you do not need to go upstairs. Just set the computer power saving option to put the computer into standby and then the SB will wake it when you try and use it to listen to music.
    How much power is really saved with this? The PC is still really on with its 500 to 1000 watt power supply running. Granted its not powering everything as some functions are shut down but isn't it still in the area of a couple hundred watts. A purpose built dedicated server only uses 25 Watts maximum and even less when not playing.

On a main desktop PC, can using WOL get the draw down below 100 Watts?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    How much power is really saved with this? The PC is still really on with its 500 to 1000 watt power supply running. Granted its not powering everything as some functions are shut down but isn't it still in the area of a couple hundred watts. A purpose built dedicated server only uses 25 Watts maximum and even less when not playing.

On a main desktop PC, can using WOL get the draw down below 100 Watts?
    Sure - my PC eats <15 watts in S3 sleep
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

You can install VortexBox if you've got an old PC that you no longer need, you don't have to buy their hardware. I resurrected a Dell Core2Duo doing so, works great!
    Win7 > iTunes 10.5 > SBS 7.5.4 > iPeng > Squeezebox 3 / Boom / iPhone > ears

You could of course buy a NAS box.

I've just bought the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with a 1TB drive (and another free 1TB drive on the way thanks to a mail in offer) for ú200 !!!!

Squeezebox server pre-installed (although I went through the relative pain of upgrading to the latest version) and despite the fears, performance is fine feeding both my SB3 and my Boom.

ReadyNAS is also waaaaaay better at serving 1080p video to my 2 PS3s via 200 Mbps HomePlugs that my other 'budget' NAS box (WD MyBook World).

So now my ReadyNAS runs away under my study desk relatively quietly all the time with no PC or Mac connected most of the time but happily sttreaning media to my SB's, PS3s etc, I update iTunes via my iMac but can also connect via my 2 PC laptops.

Very easy, pretty cheap !
    =========================================
    Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mjm2705
    =========================================