Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CBC_fan View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure out why something can supposedly be fixed in one release, then when the next one comes out, they manage to break again what they previously fixed?
    The euphemism for that is "regression".

:-(
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Honestly I think the complete software design is broken to the core. They seem to try to fix this by adding patches and workarounds instead of fixing the underlying issues. Maybe they are not able to find them or simply know too little about real time systems and robustness, maybe they figured they would need to redesign the system from scratch and decided that they will have to live with it until the next SB generation.
    Anyway, it's a shame that a big company like Logitech is not able to hire the people needed to fix this and instead let the once so great SB brand go down in flames.
    A Chumby One for half the price has a (much bigger) touch screeen, nicer apps and simply works. Yeah, it's not perfect either, but heck, at least the basic functions work as expected. How embarrassing for Logitech to be still not able to deliver a working product after all that time and so many software updates.

"Reduced random pausing of Internet radiostreams"

> Honestly I think the complete software design is broken to the core.
    > Anyway, it's a shame that a big company like Logitech is not able to
    > hire the people needed to fix this and instead let the once so great SB
    > brand go down in flames.

Please file your job application. You seem to be the man.

--

Michael

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Honestly I think the complete software design is broken to the core.
    > Anyway, it's a shame that a big company like Logitech is not able to
    > hire the people needed to fix this and instead let the once so great SB
    > brand go down in flames.

Please file your job application. You seem to be the man.

--

Michael
    Michael - it's Saturday. Chill. Have a cold beer or a nice glass of wine. Don't let them grind you down... :-)
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

"Reduced random pausing of Internet radiostreams"

> Michael - it's Saturday. Chill. Have a cold beer or a nice glass of

Oopss... shouldn't have ordered that hot Indian food?

--

Michael

Well, indeed I develop realtime software in the automobile business for more than 11 years now and if I'd deliver software quality like this, I'd be either fired or in jail by now. So I figure a job at Logitech would be kinda relaxing compared to the quality standards I'm used to. Unfortunately, I guess it would be also underpaid.
    Anyway, there's no need to get emotional. It's a plain fact that the state of the software is a shame. While this might not be the fault of single developers, it's for sure the fault of the management that is not able or willing to get the needed amount of people able to do the job.

As long as logitech don't control the whole internet our isp's and the radio channel intended to play our national powergrid etc, their best effort would be .
    "Reduced random pausing of Internet radio streams" .

You can never have "no random pausing of internet radio" .

reduced bla bla.. is a description on what we realistically can get no need for sarcams ?

The benchmark would be how it's working with local server
    given a reliable isp and proper internet connection.
    read not "shrug" these USB dongles ? providing high latency finicky "broadband" as best, or heavy traffic shaping "cheap" isp.
    Then it's pretty reliable. It mostly works occasionally a station won't play .

If they can make mysb.com behave or rather the firmware in sbr ,not being that finicky about it, seems from my amateur pow that to many "state machines" and mutual status info needs to match precisely in time, creating confusion when it does not, this will not occur on your very reliable local network.

Imho logitech is to conservative on what they consider "abuse" of the radio suplier, many other devices an pc software seems to do substantially more agressive retries when the streams breaks down due to "natural" causes.
    Why not be as aggressive as everybody else ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html