Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezeplay 1024x600 skin

This is a skin I made for my own project using a netbook. thanks to the Joggler skin guys as I was able to take some from there to get the layout right.

The skin itself is set for 1024x600 or typical netbook resolution. I updated the wallpaper graphics and file such that the wallpaper is full screen for the included wallpapers. I updated all of the clock layouts and graphics such that they show up more correctly on the screen instead of offset to the left side. This annoyed me when using strictly the joggler skin at 800x600 and 1024x600 and I imagine the same issue is with the joggler 800x480 skin as well. I did not comment things at all as I was literally just "try this" until I found settings that looked ok. You should be able to compare the files, though, to see what changes I made. The analog, digital, and dot matrix clocks all are correct. I did not mess with the radial clock, though...

I also have sent Erland a comment about making the Album Flow and Custom Clock plugins not default to the "controller" setting for Squeezeplay resolutions. I edited the Album Flow file so that it shows up like itunes cover flow with large artwork in the center of the screen. I only edited the settings for the circular setting (I think?) as it was the one I planned to use. The custom clock app I also edited to fool it into thinking the Squeezeplay player is a touch, but I didn't do much with trying to get the layouts on those clocks set for this resolution

Also with help from Erland, I found how to change the font to what I wanted it to be. I included a sample font file with instructions in case you might want to change fonts. The ones I have in there are a font called Wide Glide and are related to a project I am working on.

The splash screen can also be changed and I included my edited version... it isn't much, but it works for now

This does work on my Windows 7 ultimate netbook... I have no way to test it on other platforms... And I may really be the only person who had a need or want for this anyway.

I believe I made it so that this was the only skin that was available... but that may have been one of my trials that I got rid of.

I am not a programmer by any means... I am a logical trial and error type person. I will help if I can, but I am limited

I attached my project I am working on. The rendering does not reflect the font changes. This uses a Dell Mini 9 for the processing and screen and I added a resistive touch screen. All presets are mapped to favorites in squeezeplay as well as a couple instant access buttons to the squeezebox server and to start squeezeplay. The joystick on the left is for playback control. The knob on the right is currently a Griffin Power Mate although I hope to build more of these and integrate an encoder into the development board I am using to interface to the computer.I am intending to run a squeezebox server on the same machine and might add the Radio Shark to it as well. It has 2 3x5 speakers with 15 watts per channel in a sealed enclosure design... Sounds actually pretty good. I have most of the electronics done and am waiting on finishing up the cabinet and painting it now. This whole skin, though, is done for this design. I did an 800x600 version as well for a vintage radio conversion I finished a few weeks ago

The files for the skin can be downloaded from below. DO NOT BOTHER ERLAND ABOUT THE FILES I EDITED. Those are my creations and he has enough issues without having to deal with my bastardized versions... I will help with those if I can.

http://www.mediafire.com/?umdbhk5n7a1p3hl

Quote Originally Posted by jemmicat View Post
    I am not a programmer by any means... I am a logical trial and error type person.
    You'd be surprised how many professional programmers work exactly like this.

That's all pretty cool, but do you mean to say that it then uses SqueezePlay to play music through the netbook's onboard audio and out the headphone jack?

If you're running a full Atom based computer inside this radio and have a touch screen, what advantage is there using Squeezebox Server and SqueezePlay? It's not the most versatile player, the user interface leaves a lot to be desired, and it's certainly not a very efficient use of resources. I would think that there are better approaches on the software side.

The interface works well for this application. I researched jukebox type software and carputer software a couple years ago and I really did not find anything that worked how I wanted it. I personally like the squeezeplay interface myself and with a 7" or 9+" screen, it's very usable. If you know of a better interface that is "free" and easily customizable, let me know... it was a couple years since I did the intensive trial and error and really Squeezeplay came closest to what I was trying to do. I would love to have buttons in the interface to launch Netflix directly or watch movies or whatever, but all in all, I think it's a very good interface. And unlike itunes, it's not a hog.

The only advantage of having the server onboard is that I am looking at making these for people on like a custom basis as there are a lot of people like me who like the art deco period furniture and all but who can't really live with AM radio by getting a restored desktop Philco unit or whatever. I've taken a large Philco tombstone and integrated a mini ITX motherboard and all into it as well as power amp and stereo speakers and it retains the old look while having a functional interface that works with me. but anyway, personally I have a LARGE media library (94k songs) so it's not feasible for me... but for the "average" user I am trying to make it all as easy as possible. I am going to have a dock in back to dock a removable hard drive (I'd supply the case/drive that the dock would be designed for) and they could add music to that drive directly or through the USB ports. And adding music has to be very easy for someone like my mom and having it all internal as far as the server and all eliminates a lot of setup issues. I will probably design in a discrete ipod dock too as that opens doors for other users. Basically I am just trying to take all of the pieces and put it in one place for people to easily use. I may never make another one... but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback as there is a niche market for something like this. I am also working on a tombstone design that incorporates a 10" subwoofer and maybe even a record player along with the other features here... Again trying to capture a niche market with a few specialized devices...

As far as sound... right now yeah I plan on just using the headphone/line out on the motherboard. I have a USB hub that is inside also and I may upgrade to a USB sound card if I need to. I've just been plugging in my Sansa Clip into the power amp board into the box just to test the sound and I was surprised how good it did sound. It is lacking in low end, but I am working on a redesign of the cabinet to try to provide more volume for the speaker cabinets and we'll go from there. I am using a Class D power amp and I'd been testing it at 12 volts too but the power supply I am using is 19.5 so it should be more efficient and louder than it is... but still not the low end so yeah... we'll see

Edited:

I added some screen shots of this skin with the changed font. I just noticed that I need to tweak the digital clock layout for use with this font but you get the idea... And mind you this layout is at 1024x600 so would be full screen on a 9" or 10" netbook. This isn't looking at a touch or radio screen although it really is just s blown up version
    Last edited by jemmicat; 2010-08-01 at 06:43. Reason: Added screen shots of skin with font

Please pardon my ignorance...what do I need to do to install it?

Any chance of getting the 800x600 version???

Thanks!

what do you need to install it? You have to install squeezeplay and then copy the files I attached into the various folders that are in the post and then you should select the WQVGAsmall skin and you should be good.

As far as the 800x600... actually you can use the joggler skin and it will display at 800x600 with just slight changes. I only edited the digital clock on the 800x600 skin and it's really not complete. I did what I needed only and I would rather not release it because I think it would come back to burn me with questions. I am using that skin on a 7" touch screen that has a 800x480 native resolution (what the joggler has I think) because the Epia motherboard I am using in there won't display 800x480... it's still fairly clear.

Is there a way to have it open to the Now Playing screen? Controlling everything with iPod Touch, looking to use this mainly as a standing Now Playing display on an HTPC.

Thanks for the work!!
    Last edited by fphredd; 2010-08-02 at 07:14.

Dude... please read my post. I am NOT a programmer and I am NOT the person to be asking this. If you have issues with the skin layout, let me know. There is absolutely nothing I can do about the operation... All I did is change some numbers and values so that it looked ok on my screen... Hence a skin. Not how it operates. The ONLY help I can provide is with the skin itself.

This is why I wasn't going to provide a half baked 800x600 skin...

Quote Originally Posted by jemmicat View Post
    Dude... please read my post. I am NOT a programmer and I am NOT the person to be asking this. If you have issues with the skin layout, let me know. There is absolutely nothing I can do about the operation... All I did is change some numbers and values so that it looked ok on my screen... Hence a skin. Not how it operates. The ONLY help I can provide is with the skin itself.

This is why I wasn't going to provide a half baked 800x600 skin...
    Apologies for upsetting you...Please understand, I DO appreciate your efforts. Sometimes others chime in as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    Apologies for upsetting you...Please understand, I DO appreciate your efforts. Sometimes others chime in as well.

Thanks.
    Edit the file applets/SlimMenus/SlimMenusApplet.lua

below these lines:
    self.waitingForPlayerMenuStatus = false
    jnt:notify("playerLoaded", _player)
    appletManager:callService("hideConnectingToServer" )

add this line:
    appletManager:callService("goNowPlaying")

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!