Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Sync issue - Boom+SB3

Recently, I'm having sync problems when I play local music (flac/mp3) streaming wireless from my laptop. The Boom - or SB - is rebuffering every 10-30 seconds.

I can sync radiostations though (last.fm), and my Boom and SB can play local music seperately for hours with no prolems. I guess that eliminates that it is a router issue ?

Wireless strength is 87% and 80%

Any suggestions, please ?

Btw - Where can I find the documentation formerly located on slimdevices.com/documentation ?

Edit: Here's a bit from the server logfile.

[10-07-28 11:16:34.3822] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1165) Warning: [11:16:34.3820] Use of uninitialized value $mapped in hash element at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 593.
    [10-07-28 11:16:34.3827] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (146) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: Can't call method "resultset" on an undefined value at /<C:\PROGRA~1\SQUEEZ~2\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 548.
    ; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0x77 feccc)
    [10-07-28 12:31:35.8908] main::init (323) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.1, r30836, Tue Jun 1 06:02:45 PDT 2010) perl 5.010000
    Last edited by Adjunkten; 2010-07-28 at 04:38.

Red face Lame fix

A bit of surfing in the forums on 'rebuffering' led me to install lame and reduce flac files to 320 kbs mp3 on the Boom. Haven't had any sync problems since. I guess it was a routerproblem after all.

Even though I can now go back to "happy listening - mode" I feel it is more a fix than a real solution to my problem - it's a bit lame to compress your lossless to listen to it.

I wonder why I have been able to sync flac files for several months without any rebuffering? - Is a 54mb router to small for more than one device ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adjunkten View Post
    A bit of surfing in the forums on 'rebuffering' led me to install lame and reduce flac files to 320 kbs mp3 on the Boom. Haven't had any sync problems since. I guess it was a routerproblem after all.

Even though I can now go back to "happy listening - mode" I feel it is more a fix than a real solution to my problem - it's a bit lame to compress your lossless to listen to it.

I wonder why I have been able to sync flac files for several months without any rebuffering? - Is a 54mb router to small for more than one device ?
    54Mbps is more than ample.

The problem is that isn't guaranteed... you have interference to contend with, just general noise, etc. So you'll get something less than that.

To make matters more interesting 'signal strength' isn't all that useful of a number. A strong signal isn't the same as a reliable signal.

If it worked for you fine until recently, and the additional load of transcoding on the server doesn't make it worse, then the problem isn't in the server speed, but the network speed.. and something has changed there.

It may be your router is as stupid as mine and it eventually just keels over and needs to be rebooted... or it may be your neighbor installed a new network and is sitting near your channel. Changing your channel could help if you can find a free spot. (The default on most routers is 6: change to 1 or 11 and see if it helps.)

Make sure your server is wired to the router: one wire will save two wireless hops. (Ie, your server sends wireless packet to router, router send packet to Boom; your server send wireless packet to router, router sends packet to SB3... wiring the server to the router will move the first hops out of the air and onto wire, where they wont have to fight for airtime.)

OK, thankyou for your help, Snarlydwarf.

Network Stumbler told me that my neighbour used the same channel on his network, so I changed my wireless channel and beamed some pure flac to the Boom, only to hear the "rebuffering hick-ups" return.

It puzzles me. Sending flac AND 320 KB transcoded MP3 to the router and different signals from the router to the devices should take more "packets" than just one flac file?

I guess that wiring my laptop to the router would help - but my wife hates cables - and I'm a lazy boy :-). I might switch over to a NAS instead.

Thanks again.

Sync issue - Boom+SB3

On 07/29/2010 06:11 PM, Adjunkten wrote:
    > I guess that wiring my laptop to the router would help - but my wife
    > hates cables - and I'm a lazy boy :-). I might switch over to a NAS
    > instead.

Doing two hops, one from the computer running SBS (laptop in your case)
    to WiFi and then WiFi to players is always a problem. It doubles the
    traffic and if anything is marginal, you will have problems.

Running Ethernet from the SBS server to the WiFi point will greatly
    improve things.

Use a powerful NAS, sheeva plug, old crock PC, etc. If you can, stick it
    in the basement so you never have to think abou tit.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/