Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I return my Boom?

Hi,

Hopefully someone with a Boom can confirm that my newly received unit is actually faulty and needs returning.

It has a number of annoying problems that I'm sure cannot be right:

1) Every time I power it off and back on I have to step through the wireless networking setup. It has remembered things like network SSID and the WPA password.

2) The menu very often freezes for long periods and is unresponsive via the IR remote or the buttons on the front.

3) I just experience the "nothing displaying on screen but buttons lit up" issue that I see others experience on this forum. After about 5 or 6 attempts at unplugging and powering up it finally came back. However as I type this it's currently stuck at "Setup is complete! Press knob to continue."

Background:

I have had a duet for a few years and no issues there. I have successfully configured the Boom via the duet remote and via the web interface.

Currently running squeezecenter 7.5.1 and I *think* the Boom updated ok. Hardware firmware version was 50.

I have tried doing factory reset via the duet remote but I think that may only reset the remote control itself.

Any suggests or confirmation of how I can factory reset the Boom itself would be great.

Thanks

Alex
    Last edited by abarnes; 2010-07-24 at 07:16. Reason: clarifications

Small update.

After about 10mins of being stuck at "Setup is Complete! Press knob to continue." it started responding again.

Quote Originally Posted by abarnes View Post
    Small update.

After about 10mins of being stuck at "Setup is Complete! Press knob to continue." it started responding again.
    50 is most current firmware. Your issues sound like low wifi strength. Now that it is connected, what does it show your wifi strength to be? On the boom, go into settings/information/boom, then scroll to see wifi strength. if it is below, say, 60%, that's your culprit.

you shouldn't have to go through network setup everytime you turn on, but i suspect it had yet to be fully connected, or it doesn't see last connection. This again points back to low wifi connection. Keep in mind that the antenna, etc. doesn't work near as well on SB players as a laptop. So just cause your laptop connects to wifi ok, doesn't mean your SB is getting a strong enough connection.

Is your SSID a unique name? i.e. Not named Linksys or D-Link or similar common names.
    Your Boom might be trying to initially connect to the wrong network with the same name (SSID).

Are you waiting long enough when it says it is connecting? Mine takes about 20 seconds to reconnect after it has been unplugged.
    Just using the OFF button (standby), then back ON, should be instantaneous as it was never actually disconnected from your router in standby (or should not have actually disconnected).

That said, I can unplug my Boom, move it to another part of the house, plug it back in, it reconnects automatically, no input needed by me.
    This is how yours *should* work.
    Last edited by toby10; 2010-07-24 at 08:08.

Thanks for the swift reply guys.

WiFi Strength:
    Currently its about 2 feet from my router and the Boom Information page shows 95% signal strength. This is the position is was in when it frooze at "Setup is complete". Putting it back in the kitchen (room directly next door) shows 80%+ signal strength. I can confirm using both my HTC Desire and the Duet remote that signal strength downstairs in my house only drops as low as 83% but is usually up to 90%+ when I stop walking around.

*EDIT*: Turning off via the Duet remote is no longer working. It is streaming BBC Radio1 with no drops or buffering. The request to go into standby registers but it keeps coming back on immediately.

SSID:
    Yep my SSID is unique and not factory default.

Keeping settings:
    It does "keep" the previous settings in as much as remembering the last SSID and my WPA key. But why it always starts a "Setup step 1 of 5" is baffling.

Other strange things I have noticed:

a) Cannot always get the clock to show, i.e. go into standby. Pressing the red standby button on the remote initially makes the time flash up but then almost instantly the boot splash messages appear "Logitech" followed by "squeezebox" and then we're back at "Now Playing". Using the Duet remote to "Turn off Squeezebox" works perfectly. Could this simply be a software bug rather than hardware?

Things I'm going to try next:

1) Disable WPA encryption.

2) Switch to a new WiFi frequency.

3) Try wired connection. (If this fixes it I think it will be going back as there is no reason my WiFi signal shouldnt be good enough).

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming please, I really want this to work and after 15 years as an IT professional I'll be damned if I let this defeat me

Alex
    Last edited by abarnes; 2010-07-24 at 08:39. Reason: update

Sorry too many edits.

The bug with the restarting Boom seems like it could be due to streaming radio.

Paused radio = no standby
    Start playing MP3 from library = standby immediately

I fired up my work laptop and checked the WiFi channel usage in my area and can confirm I'm the only one using my selected channel.

In case anyone else wants to do this the command I used in Windows 7 is:
    Open up a command shell (cmd.exe)
    Code:
    netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

I fired up my work laptop and checked the WiFi channel usage in my area and can confirm I'm the only one using my selected channel.

In case anyone else wants to do this the command I used in Windows 7 is:
    Open up a command shell (cmd.exe)
    Code:
    netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

vistumbler (win7) or netstumbler are nice programs for finding nearby wifi networks.

probably not your issue, but it can't hurt to do a xilinx reset. unplug from outlet, hold "1" key down and then plug in (while holding 1 key). Should see the resetting message on your boom screen.

1) Every time I power it off and back on I have to step through the wireless networking setup. It has remembered things like network SSID and the WPA password.
    How do you power off the boom? Standby with the remote or anything else?
    LG
    Steve
    --------------------------------------------------
    3x SB Boom
    2x SB3 Classic
    SB Radio
    Controller
    2x Duett
    Touch
    an SqueezoboxServer 7.7.2 auf einem Scaleo WHS