Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    >That would do it!!<

Yes, that was the problem. After disabling my Hamichi VPN interface, Whitebear was visible to clients on the LAN. Any chance of a config option or command line switch to set the interface binding?

Some mixed results with clients -

iPad:

PlugPlayer app crashes trying to create a playlist from content served by Whitebear
    MPPlayer Lite plays fine

Sony BD-S370 disk player

MP3 played fine, FLAC were shown as LPCM but always reported as corrupt when tried to play

Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 TV

Seems to play everything, inc. the transcoded FLACs which tripped up the BD-S370

Reinforces what a poor job the designers of the DLNA 'standard' did!
    Last edited by amcluesent; 2010-08-25 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by amcluesent View Post
    Yes, that was the problem. After disabling my Hamichi VPN interface, Whitebear was visible to clients on the LAN. Any chance of a config option or command line switch to set the interface binding?
    Yes. I would like to do this. I am just struggling with what the config option list should offer i.e. how it should look. You obviously have more experience than me with such configurations, so I wonder if you can suggest how you would like it to be?

Some mixed results with clients
    Thanks for the brilliant feedback. It is exactly what I wanted !!

PlugPlayer app crashes trying to create a playlist from content served by Whitebear
    That's cool ;-/
    Any chance of running a log on PlugPlayer to trace what failed?

Sony BD-S370 disk player
    MP3 played fine, FLAC were shown as LPCM but always reported as corrupt when tried to play
    It is normal that Flac would appear as LPCM since the Sony's don't support FLAC and transcoding is therefore needed. But can you perhaps tell me something about the Flacs that caused the error? Specifically do you have 44kbps sampling or 48k or 96k higher? Could you send me one of the failing Flac files?

Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 TV
    Seems to play everything, inc. the transcoded FLACs which tripped up the BD-S370
    This confirms my experience with Sony TVs. I have a Sony KDL-40Z4500 which also works a treat. Frankly I am a bit surprised that the Sony Blu-Ray player tanks; you would expect them to use the same firmware...
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Andrew,

Reading through the rest of this thread, I wondered if you ever got the UPnP Renderer functionality working? Am I correct in thinking that this would allow a UPnP Controller to determine what is played by the Squeezebox? I am hoping that I will be able to use XBMC (which is shortly due to gain a UPnP Controller service) to control my squeezebox, with the squeezebox doing the actual playing.

Thanks for all the hard work!

MrSinatra
    i want to join the AndrewFG fan club, where do i sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by farope View Post
    I wondered if you ever got the UPnP Renderer functionality working?
    Yes. I got it working. And -- even though I say it myself -- it IS really cool!!

But I did not yet post it on my web site, since I still need to do some more testing to ensure nothing got broken in the orginal functionality. I estimate that in 1..2 days it should be ready ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by farope View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that this would allow a UPnP Controller to determine what is played by the Squeezebox? I am hoping that I will be able to use XBMC (which is shortly due to gain a UPnP Controller service) to control my squeezebox, with the squeezebox doing the actual playing.
    Correct. I don't have XBMC (actually I don't even now what it is). But as an example, with Windows Media Player 12 on a PC, you can see and browse your SBC library in WMP12 via Whitebear Media Server, and when you find what you want, you right click on the item in WMP12 and select "Play To", and Whitebear Media Renderer will start playing the respective track on the respective SB player.

Also in the WPM12 player, you can issue player control commands [Play/Pause/Stop/Previous/Next/Volume/Mute] through Whitebear Media Renderer to the respective SB player.
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

MrSinatra
    can you guys explain a bit?

what is it that WMP12 and XMBC have, DLNA-wise, that allow them to be able to control and play tunes via slim hardware? what is the features proper name?

i am asking b/c i VERY MUCH want to use winamp to be able to play/control my music over slim hardware, (i don't like SBS). the problem is i don't know if winamp has what dlna features it needs, (or if it does DLNA at all).

if it doesn't, i need to know what EXACTLY to request in their wishlist forums.

am i correct in thinking that winamp wouldn't actually be playing the music, but rather that it would just be controlling SBS? what lag time, if any, would this entail?
    Last edited by MrSinatra; 2010-09-01 at 14:09. Reason: minor edit

foobar2000 can also be a renderer \ controler via the upnp component. Haven't tested it yet.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post

what is it that WMP12 and XMBC have, DLNA-wise, that allow them to be able to control and play tunes via slim hardware? what is the features proper name?
    I thought the name would be upnp and\or dlna. Winamp should have something either by default or via a plugin.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Actually WMP12 and XMBC have NOTHING that allows them to play tunes via Slim hardware!! What they DO have is the ability to talk to two things called respectively Digital Media Servers (DMS) and Digital Media Renderers (DMR). A piece of software (like WMP12 and XMBC) that has this capability to talk to a DMS and/or a DMR, is itself called a Digital Media Controller (DMC) or Control Point (CP).

The "language" (protocol) that allows communication between DMC/CP/DMS/DMR, is called Universal Plug & Play (UPnP). The basic specifications of the UPnP protocol for DMC/DMS/DMR is slightly unclear in some respects, so the home electronics companies (like Sony) established a group called Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) that adds more precision to the UPnP protocol specification. Software (like WMP12, XMBC etc.) and hardware (like TVs, Blu-Ray players etc.) are tested and certified to be UPnP/DLNA compliant. This means that their respective DMC/CP/DMS/DMR can (in principle) talk to ANY other tested and certified DMC/CP/DMS/DMR in a reliable and predictable manner.

The DMS and the DMR have different functions. A DMS is something that provides a "Content Directory" of audio visual media. The Content Directory is usually structured in some way like Albums/Artists/Folder/Genres etc. The DMC/CP talks to the DMS in order to browse Content Directory structure or to search for specific media items. The DMS also informs the DMC/CP about the media content tag data and its supported encoding format(s) and it also provides a URL where the actual media can be downloaded from. And a DMR is something that can play audio visual media. It is an interface to a physical or software based media player of some sort. The DMR supports commands like play/stop/next/back/volume/mute etc.

So if you have a DMC (like WMP12 or XMBC), then it is able to browse and find music via the Content Directory on any DMS that it can find on the network, and it is able to play that music to any other DMR that it can find on the network. The clever thing is that you can have any combination of DMC/DMS/DMR from many different suppliers, and the whole thing should just work together. Obviously this requires DMC/DMS/DMR to strictly adhere to the UPnP/DLNA specifications.

On a side note, you may be interested to know that WMP12 actually implements the DMC functionality and the DMS functionality and the DMR functionality. So WMP12 can talk to other instances of itself on other computers on the network, in order to browse (share), control and play music across any combination of PCs. It's rather cool...

Now you might ask where does Squeezebox fit into this picture? Well, to be blunt, it does NOT. The Squeezebox server software does NOT support either DMC or DMS functionality. And the Squeezebox players do NOT support DMR functionality. Slim Devices / Logitech chose (for whatever reason) to go for a proprietary system that is not based on UPnP/DLNA. However, to their credit, even though it is a proprietary system, it is at least an open one, and it is well documented too...

Now your final question might be: How to bridge the gap between the world of UPnP/DLNA DMC/DMS/DMR on one side, and the Squeezebox world on the other? And the answer is - ta-da - WHITEBEAR!! Indeed Whitebear implements two bridges: 1) UPnP/DLNA DMS <=> Squeezebox Server, and 2) UPnP/DLNA DMR <=> Squeezebox Players (I am bending the truth for simplicity here, since it actually commands the players via the server CLI...)

i am asking b/c i VERY MUCH want to use winamp to be able to play/control my music over slim hardware, (i don't like SBS). the problem is i don't know if winamp has what dlna features it needs, (or if it does DLNA at all).
    I know nothing about WinAmp. In particular I don't know if it implements DMC/CP functionality. But -- if it did -- then it would be able to: 1) talk with the Whitebear DMS and thus browse your Squeezebox server library, and 2) talk with the Whitebear DMR and thus play the music to your Squeeze players. (But please note that there is one big "but" in the middle of this paragraph...)
    Last edited by AndrewFG; 2010-09-02 at 01:50.
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Announcement: Whitebear Media Server(UPnP/DLNA) v2.0 released !!

>I have just released a much reworked version 2.0 of Whitebear Media
    >Server.
    >
    >You can download it on http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver
    >

Thought I'd try this out, but I'm having a hard time with it at the moment.

Installed 2.0.1.650 in application mode, and when it ran up, it continued to open up modal alert dialogs (several dialogs a second, beeping away): "Socket Error # 10053 - Software caused connection abort.". Can't close them due to the rate that they are generated at, so I wasn't able to get into the application settings to change anything - only option is to kill the process.