Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Using Squeezebox Boom as Wireless speakers for a video playback

I am looking for something that will play whatever my laptop is playing, aka *wireless speakers*. I need an audio boost for watching movies, video clips, youtube and more, but directly- I dont want to need a special radio/music player or subscription to Rhapsody. Can I do this with a Squeezebox boom? Or is it program-specific audio only?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Oleg BC; 2010-07-21 at 15:50. Reason: Typos :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg BC View Post
    I am looking for something that will play whatever my laptop is playing, aka *wireless speakers*. I need an audio boost for watching movies, video clips, youtube and more, but directly- I dont want to need a special radio/music player or subscription to Rhapsody. Can I do this with a Squeezebox boom? Or is it program-specific audio only?
    You would have latency issues with a boom unless you just used the AuxIn, but then that would not be wireless.

Latency isn't a big deal with audio only: but if you expect your movies to not have lipsync issues, no, you don't want to use a Boom for that.

There are companies who make "virtual cables" type things. They would by nature have lower latency.

Can you maybe recommend some devices that could either stream sound from my laptop to AuxIn on the Squeezebox Boom or just play sound through wifi without a delay?

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg BC View Post
    Can you maybe recommend some devices that could either stream sound from my laptop to AuxIn on the Squeezebox Boom or just play sound through wifi without a delay?
    http://www.amphony.com/products/wire...r-receiver.htm would work. I just googled for 'wireless audio' and took the first match.

There are tons of such things.

(I would avoid the FM ones, and there should be some attempt at error correction... but its not hard to send raw audio on a 2.4GHz or 5GHz link.)

I looked at that Creative set, but read some bad reviews of it, an it sounded... quirky.

A pair of these would work great - The Rocketfish stuff is supposed to be like Wi-Fi for Audio (you have several senders and receivers all at the same time). The other benefit is that they are bi-directional - you could send the audio FROM the Boom BACK to your Laptop (even at the same time).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...udio&cp=1&lp=1

I've got a set I never used I could give you a great deal on...

-Dan

Sorry bestbuy link isnt working

{{Update}}
    Got it to work. Have you tried it with a video? Is there a lag?
    Last edited by Oleg BC; 2010-07-23 at 10:14.