Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touch in a car

Touch in a car

Anyone successfully installed a Touch in thier car yet?

Using Touch in Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by audioch View Post
    Anyone successfully installed a Touch in their car yet?
    Yes, I am using a Touch in my Expedition. Search on Touch in Car or use Advanced Search and search post by iPhone.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

I have been thinking about this and as long as you use a FLASH drive and have RCA inputs on your in car system then there is no problem.

You could also update the music collection via wiFi when parked on your drive.

Caveats...

1. A HD drive may smash the heads into the platters going over bumps unless properly mounted.

2. The device runs off 5V so will have to be regulated down.

3. Check the standby current when off. It could flatten your battery if not driven. I have not measured it, but 3.6W in standby (posted here elsewhere) will completely flatten a 50Ah car battery in a week (and stuff your car battery in the process). It will not fully recover from a deep discharge. If your music collection is small, then you could turn off completly as a power on rescan should be quickish.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
    I have been thinking about this and as long as you use a FLASH drive and have RCA inputs on your in car system then there is no problem.

You could also update the music collection via wiFi when parked on your drive.

Caveats...

1. A HD drive may smash the heads into the platters going over bumps unless properly mounted.

2. The device runs off 5V so will have to be regulated down.

3. Check the standby current when off. It could flatten your battery if not driven. I have not measured it, but 3.6W in standby (posted here elsewhere) will completely flatten a 50Ah car battery in a week (and stuff your car battery in the process). It will not fully recover from a deep discharge. If your music collection is small, then you could turn off completly as a power on rescan should be quickish.
    Think more outside of the box. I use a 12V to 5V 4Amp DC/DC power supply that is wired to a switched hot IE key must be in the Start/On position for the Touch to draw power. No battery draw unless driving. I have had no issues using Toshiba USB powered USB Drives. Probably because they are portables and designed to take some knocking around as well as sitting on a small piece of memory foam in the lower cubby hole. And even if you don't have Aux In on your head unit, some factory units can have an adapter added to get the signal in though I highly recommend after market head units with Aux In.

Or one can just use a small Inverter to power Touch via the OEM PS and then even use external powered USB drive since one has the inverter to plug it into.

Could you update over WiFi, I guess so, but why bother. Its a USB drive, bring it in and do a direct update over a USB Cable.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Think more outside of the box. I use a 12V to 5V 4Amp DC/DC power supply that is wired to a switched hot IE key must be in the Start/On position for the Touch to draw power. No battery draw unless driving. I have had no issues using Toshiba USB powered USB Drives. Probably because they are portables and designed to take some knocking around as well as sitting on a small piece of memory foam in the lower cubby hole. And even if you don't have Aux In on your head unit, some factory units can have an adapter added to get the signal in though I highly recommend after market head units with Aux In.

Or one can just use a small Inverter to power Touch via the OEM PS and then even use external powered USB drive since one has the inverter to plug it into.

Could you update over WiFi, I guess so, but why bother. Its a USB drive, bring it in and do a direct update over a USB Cable.
    Updating over wifi would be nice though, since you could use something like synctoy on windows or rsync on linux/mac to do a quick update. You might even be able to do something automatic as soon as the device is seen on the network so you car system would always be insync with your home system. Course the trick then would be to figure out a good system to save battery power. Ideally would be to have some type of time delay circuit to cut the power after say 24 hours. That way for most trips the Touch will always be ready to go, and only need to do a power up if the car has been parked for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
    As iPhone suggests, just make sure a USB HD is designed for such use.
    I've had an Iomega eGo USB HD under my dash for several years, never skipped a beat (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    ....but why bother.......
    Indeed, why bother? Most newer cars, even inexpensive models, have one or more of the following: Aux-In plug, USB, Bluetooth, Ipod integration, etc. Getting one's music to the car's speakers has never been easier, why do it the hard way?

Or use a SSD...

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    As iPhone suggests, just make sure a USB HD is designed for such use.
    I've had an Iomega eGo USB HD under my dash for several years, never skipped a beat (pun intended).
    The prices for SSD's are coming down and some models have a USB port on them. No worries about bumps even if you drive off road.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    The prices for SSD's are coming down and some models have a USB port on them. No worries about bumps even if you drive off road.

Howard
    Absolutely, and looking forward to it.
    But until SSD's are more price competitive with USB drives it's not a viable option for many.
    320 gb Iomega eGo USB = $80
    32 gb SSD = $180

For many users SSD's don't have the capacity (at any price) for ones music collection.

Toby...

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Absolutely, and looking forward to it.
    But until SSD's are more price competitive with USB drives it's not a viable option for many.
    320 gb Iomega eGo USB = $80
    32 gb SSD = $180

For many users SSD's don't have the capacity (at any price) for ones music collection.
    Certainly more expensive than a USB drive, but for the car I would be tempted to either not carry my entire music collection or do what I do for my iPod and convert it to smaller files and different type files.

BTW, OCZ makes a very good 30GB drive called the Vertex for under $120. I use one for the OS on my server and a 1GB RAMDISK for SB server software. I can rescan 7,000 flacs in 4 minutes with that setup and rescan in 40 seconds. I love it.