Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellen
    • Apr 2008

File Type settings in Slimserver 6.4

I am using an older thinkpad as a dedicated server with 6.4, hardwired cat 5 to one of my SB3's.

The majority of my files are FLAC with a few mp3 and WAV sprinkled in for good measure. Almost all are 16/44 though I do have some needeldropped 24/96 material. I am wondering what file type settings is best for sound quality.

I have attached a screen capture of my current settings.

TIA
  • Phil Leigh
    • Apr 2005

6.4!

Your 24/96 material will be being converted to MP3 for playback (from memory - it's a long time ago...) either that or it will be being decimated by dropping alternate samples down to 24/48...

Any reason not to upgrade? (to 7.5.1)

On recent (>7.5) the default file settings are best for sound quality and network usage...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• Kellen
      • Apr 2008

Hi, Phil.

I have tried 7.4.1 but it was sluggish with my thinkpad so I went back to 6.4.1

Does 7.x offer any improved sonics compared to 6.4?

Do the FLAC settings, as presently checked per attached picture, allow for conversion at the server or done via my SB3?

Comment

• Phil Leigh
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kellen
        Hi, Phil.

I have tried 7.4.1 but it was sluggish with my thinkpad so I went back to 6.4.1

Does 7.x offer any improved sonics compared to 6.4?

Do the FLAC settings, as presently checked per attached picture, allow for conversion at the server or done via my SB3?
        Sonics...yes on hi-rez (>24/48) as explained - 7.5 is better than 6.x

The file settings you have send FLAC from PC to SB as FLAC and then convert to PCM on the SB. There is nothing wrong with this and is in fact the best way to optimise performance and network bandwidth.

Except for your hi-rez files...
        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
        Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

Working...