Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hi, I got a little confused, I thought this script would allow to show my Squeezebox library on foobar, select the songs, and those would play on my Squeezebox hardware, but after understanding the web page, this works by using the local foobar library... and sending those songs to play on the Squeezebox hardware right?

Having said that, I got it to work as intended after following the instructions on the web page.

Windows XP.
    Foobar2000 1.0.3
    Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 (running on the same PC as Foobar2000).
    Squeezebox Classic (a.k.a. SB3)

Played a song on foobar2000, and I could hear it on the Squeezebox.

Thanks!, this is great stuff!, this sure will come in handy
    rip (eac) > convert (flac) > tag (musicbrainz/mp3tag) > normalize (replaygain/foobar2000) > albumart (www/firefox) > transport (winscp) > store (debian) > manage (squeezecenter) > control (ipodtouch/ipeng-app) > play (squeezebox) > preamplify (zpre2) > amplify (zampv3) > listen (axiomm2/sennheiser-hd595) > scrooble (last.fm) > enjoy (me :)

http://www.last.fm/user/pichonCalavera

Quote Originally Posted by pichonCalavera View Post
    Hi, I got a little confused, I thought this script would allow to show my Squeezebox library on foobar, select the songs, and those would play on my Squeezebox hardware, but after understanding the web page, this works by using the local foobar library... and sending those songs to play on the Squeezebox hardware right?

Having said that, I got it to work as intended after following the instructions on the web page.

Windows XP.
    Foobar2000 1.0.3
    Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 (running on the same PC as Foobar2000).
    Squeezebox Classic (a.k.a. SB3)

Played a song on foobar2000, and I could hear it on the Squeezebox.

Thanks!, this is great stuff!, this sure will come in handy
    Hi, yes that's right, the Squeezebox Server SQL library is completely bypassed. Actually the Foobar2000 media library is much faster to update and search. This solution will actually play any audio file whether it is in your Foobar2000 media library or not. There will be some more updates in a month or so thanks to Marae on Hydrogenaudio who is working on getting the Foobar2000 seekbar to work - his code is great but usually a little dirty so I will clean it up and tweak it before posting a revised binary.

I have made some further minor revisions to the binary today for further stability. I will start versioning these... this is v0.62.

A reminder of the web page howto instructions:

http://www.at-sea.com/FooSQ.html
    Last edited by stuffedspacedog; 2010-07-30 at 21:13.

Control your SqueezeBox or Transporter with Foobar2000

I was interested in this, but I have authentication enabled in my SBS, so use of the CLI requires a login command to be issued with username and password before any other interaction. Would this be possible to build into the script?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    I was interested in this, but I have authentication enabled in my SBS, so use of the CLI requires a login command to be issued with username and password before any other interaction. Would this be possible to build into the script?

Phil
    Sure. Done! Just a quick note to other readers: I'm not getting paid for this and cannot respond to every request. I happen to be mildly drunk and therefore of a warm disposition.

Phil, download this version of FooSQ: http://at-sea.com/work/FooSQ%20Secure.zip

Unzip the file, put FooSQ Secure.exe somewhere safe.

Right click on FooSQ Secure.exe and select "Create Shortcut".

Go to the shortcut, right click on it and select "Properties".

In the "Target" field you'll see something like this:

"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\FooSQ Secure.exe"

Edit it to look like this:

"C:\Program Files\foobar2000\FooSQ Secure.exe" alan atsea

Replace alan with your username, replace atsea with your password.... no speech marks please for user and password.

Click apply. Once you've followed the instructions on my web page and FB2K is loaded, make sure to run the shortcut, not the original .exe file.

I have tested this with Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 and it works fine.

I can incorporate this into the main script with no impact to users that do not have security enabled, please test it first though.

All the best, Alan
    Last edited by stuffedspacedog; 2010-07-31 at 10:20.

Okay, I gave it a try. The authentication mode worked fine.

Here's some observations though:

1. It doesn't bypass the SBS music library. When it plays a song, it still adds them into the SBS library, with all the metadata that is in the file. Therefore it can't be used for example to play a podcast with iffy tags once only, without affecting the SBS library. This will most likely cause problems for people playing a variety of tagged music, eg. it may not add compilation songs to the SBS music library correctly, and I'm not sure what will happen if the SBS music library is rescanned with files in the DB that are outside of the SBS music library path.

2. I have multiple players. When I started playing something in Foobar, it did play on one of my players, but chose one at random. I turned that player off (physically), but couldn't get music to play on another player.

3. The integration from Foobar, via changing the window title bar content and writing to a temporary file in C:\, is not ideal for my setup. I prefer my old Foobar title display format, for example.

But it does work, and may suit other people. I'm a fan of Foobar. Thanks for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    Okay, I gave it a try. The authentication mode worked fine.

Here's some observations though:

1. It doesn't bypass the SBS music library. When it plays a song, it still adds them into the SBS library, with all the metadata that is in the file. Therefore it can't be used for example to play a podcast with iffy tags once only, without affecting the SBS library. This will most likely cause problems for people playing a variety of tagged music, eg. it may not add compilation songs to the SBS music library correctly, and I'm not sure what will happen if the SBS music library is rescanned with files in the DB that are outside of the SBS music library path.

2. I have multiple players. When I started playing something in Foobar, it did play on one of my players, but chose one at random. I turned that player off (physically), but couldn't get music to play on another player.

3. The integration from Foobar, via changing the window title bar content and writing to a temporary file in C:\, is not ideal for my setup. I prefer my old Foobar title display format, for example.

But it does work, and may suit other people. I'm a fan of Foobar. Thanks for your efforts.
    1. Music library - the files that don't exist on the hard drive will simply be removed from the library the next time the database is scanned by SBS. I don't really understand your point about conflicting metadata and why this is an issue for something like podcasts, sorry.
    2. I can amend the script to allow a third command line parameter for playerID if you like, then you just create different windows shortcuts for different players.
    3. Can't do anything about that, the whole script is based on reading the FB2K title. If you don't want the file written to C:\ I can add a fourth command line parameter to change the location of nextsong.txt.

If this script is useful to you I will happily make the two amendments above, please let me know.

New version with functioning FB2K seekbar, v0.68.

You need to add

%playback_time_seconds%/

to the end of your window title for this to work properly.

Thanks to Marae at HA for the new code.

Updated to v 0.73. Tidied up the code a little more.

Change title field to this:

%path%/%playback_time_remaining_seconds%/%ispaused%/%playback_time_seconds%/

If you want seekbar to work.

http://www.at-sea.com/FooSQ.html

Updated to v0.78 for greater stability.

Thumbs up

Wonderfull, best of both worlds!

Thanks a lot for this.

You can even stitch it together with MusicIP, here's how: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...68&mode=linear
    Last edited by Swannea; 2010-09-19 at 05:50.