Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: Are you interested in IR-over-IP?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd like to have IRoIP.

6 60.00%
  • No, I don't care.

4 40.00%
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by indifference_engine View Post
    A few people have expressed a wish for SqueezeIR to be able to be controlled over wi-fi.
    eg If I wanted to send the event bound to pressing the volume up button in the 'Lounge' profile I would embed a hyperlink that looks something like this:
    Code:
    http://<controller_IP>:<SqueezeIR_Port>/sendcode.html?section=profile&sectionid=lounge&type=key&typeid=volume_up&eventid=press
    Read up on CSRF. You don't want your amp turning on, switching to AM radio, and going to full volume just because you open an email with a few IMG tags...
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Read up on CSRF. You don't want your amp turning on, switching to AM radio, and going to full volume just because you open an email with a few IMG tags...
    Thanks for the info Peter, I hadn't considered any security issues. I read your article about CSRF and it does sound scary (I assume this forum is safe as it's based on vBulletin 3?). However, I don't think it's going to be an issue in this instance because the attacker wouldn't know the IP address of the Controller or the port that SqueezeIR is using. I could use a pin number that needs to be present in the url and must match the one stored on the controller before it does anything, would that be prudent? I don't want to make things overly complex by reverting to certificates/keys/https so I'd like to use a simple but effective workaround.
    Last edited by indifference_engine; 2010-06-26 at 04:26.

Failing that, as SqueezeIR now supports Sony's SIRC protocols, you may be able to plug the numbers from this site http://www.rockabilly.net/sony/ into SqueezeIR and get something that looks a bit like this:
    Hi indifference_engine,

I am controlling my receiver with the sbc now using the SIRC protocol. Works like a charm and makes things so much easier as I do not have to use my Harmony besides the sbc.

I had to rule out some errors in my config file though, which took me some time. Any plans for an editor, maybe as a sbs plugin?

I could use a pin number that needs to be present in the url and must match the one stored on the controller before it does anything, would that be prudent? I don't want to make things overly complex by reverting to certificates/keys/https so I'd like to use a simple but effective workaround.
    I think that sounds like a nice, balanced solution. The applet could generate a random 4 or 5 digit number first time it runs (store it in the persistent userprefs on the Controller), and the UI could reveal that PIN to the user.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by elektronaut View Post
    Hi indifference_engine,

I am controlling my receiver with the sbc now using the SIRC protocol. Works like a charm and makes things so much easier as I do not have to use my Harmony besides the sbc.

I had to rule out some errors in my config file though, which took me some time. Any plans for an editor, maybe as a sbs plugin?
    Hey, welcome onboard! I'm glad you got it working. As I don't have any Sony equipment I couldn't really test that part of the code and had to do a bit of guesswork but it looks like everything is good.

Everyone is asking for a write-my-xml-for-me-plugin but I don't know how to program in perl so I won't be writing one and there's plenty of free xml editors out there that will make the configuration process easier. Most web-browsers will parse xml and point out any glaring syntax errors for you (ie8 certainly does) which takes some of the pain out of debugging your xml. These should spot mistakes like missing brackets, missing termination elements (</...>), missing quotes round arguments etc.. All you would need to worry about is making sure the actions reference commands that actually exist in <remotes> and making sure the elements have the right names. Maybe an xml wizard could create a DTD for squeezeIR.xml to validate against?
    Last edited by indifference_engine; 2010-06-26 at 09:05.

A few people have expressed a wish for SqueezeIR to be able to be controlled over wi-fi...
    Hi again! As you may have guessed, I for one would be very interested in this functionality

Hi all
    Great work indifference_engine on getting SqueezeIR to now load from your repository!
    Just had my SBC replaced due to very low display brightness & after several unsuccessful hours reconfiguring it this evening, it suddenly dawned on me that the xml file now lies in a folder with the MAC address of the SBC, which I hadn't yet updated :-)
    Something I did notice while testing the new SBC is that I'm unable to adjust the volumes of either my Radio or Boom, instead it's sending out the volume command for my amp.
    To be honest I almost exclusively use my SBC with my Classic so have never noticed this behaviour before.
    My understanding was that having only one profile, called "Classic" in my .xml, that the SqueezeIR commands would only work when in that profile.
    Have I misunderstood something or made a mistake with my .xml file which I've attached.

Cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paden View Post
    Hi all
    My understanding was that having only one profile, called "Classic" in my .xml, that the SqueezeIR commands would only work when in that profile.
    Have I misunderstood something or made a mistake with my .xml file which I've attached.
    Not quite. If you only have one profile then it will be used all the time. I think what you are after is to have SqueezeIR controlling your amp when the Controller is connected to your Classic but inactive when connected to your other players? If I've understood you correctly then you need two profiles. First, ensure that your existing profile has the same name as your Classic. Now create a blank, dummy profile in your <profiles> section like this:
    Code:
    <profile ID="Disabled"></profile>
    Go to SqueezeIR>Settings>Reload Configuration then set the 'Default Profile' to 'Disabled' and ensure 'Use Player Profiles' is checked. Now, when you connect to the Classic, the player's profile will override the default profile and SqueezeIR will send ir codes but when connected to a different player the default profile (Disabled) will be in effect and SqueezeIR will do nothing (because the profile is empty), causing the Controller to behave as if it wasn't there.
    Last edited by indifference_engine; 2010-07-06 at 09:23.

Not quite. If you only have one profile then it will be used all the time. I think what you are after is to have SqueezeIR controlling your amp when the Controller is connected to your Classic but inactive when connected to your other players? If I've understood you correctly then you need two profiles. First, ensure that your existing profile has the same name as your Classic. Now create a blank, dummy profile in your <profiles> section like this:
    Code:
    <profile ID="Disabled"></profile>
    Go to SqueezeIR>Settings>Reload Configuration then set the 'Default Profile' to 'Disabled' and ensure 'Use Player Profiles' is checked. Now, when you connect to the Classic, the player's profile will override the default profile and SqueezeIR will send ir codes but when connected to a different player the default profile (Disabled) will be in effect and SqueezeIR will do nothing (because the profile is empty), causing the Controller to behave as if it wasn't there.
    Thanks for the fast response indifference_engine, that's my problem exactly!
    I'll give it a go when I get a moment :-)

Cheers, Paul

That seems to have done the trick!
    Many thanks :-)

Cheers, Paul