Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Cannot obtain IP address

Hi All,

Am having various problems with my squeezebox boom. When I do manage to connect to my wireless network (Netgear DGN2000 router) some 3 feet away, the radio always times out trying to obtain an IP address, saying "Cannot open DHCP server".

My router is set-to to assign IPs and I am sure it did work months ago when I first set up the radio, but no more.

Do I have to manually assign one? If so it asks for IP, gateway, sub masks etc. Where do I find these settings?

Also, on the router, which mode is best? "g & b", "Up to 130 mbps" or what? The connection seems very iffy, sometimes it connects, sometimes it does not.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by rjs1974 View Post
    Hi All,

Am having various problems with my squeezebox boom. When I do manage to connect to my wireless network (Netgear DGN2000 router) some 3 feet away, the radio always times out trying to obtain an IP address, saying "Cannot open DHCP server".

My router is set-to to assign IPs and I am sure it did work months ago when I first set up the radio, but no more.

Do I have to manually assign one? If so it asks for IP, gateway, sub masks etc. Where do I find these settings?

Also, on the router, which mode is best? "g & b", "Up to 130 mbps" or what? The connection seems very iffy, sometimes it connects, sometimes it does not.

Please help!
    If your boom cannot open DHCP server it is possible it is not connected to the network. I'd check first if it is associated with Netgear access point. Do you have enabled wireless security? Login to your router and check logs. There is some kind of wireless status page with information about current associations.

Default gateway is IP address of your router's LAN side. Subnet mask is also defined there. Usually it is something like 255.255.255.0.

I am sure you can safely use "G".

It says it connects to the Netgear router but when viewing "attached devices" in the router software nothing is shown.

Same happens when my wireless Canon printer connects. The router only lists my PC as attached - and that is connected to the router via Ethernet cable not wireless.

It seems the router is not assigning/issuing IP addresses to any device, even though DHCP is enabled.

Security is WPA-2, and I have tried "G", "G and B", and various different channels.

To be fair, connection from printer and squeezebox seem very hit and miss so I wonder if the router is the problem...

Could be router as well.... If you want to test, remove encryption from your wireless network and see how your router and other devices behave.

Update

Update folks: I changed the channel on the router from Auto to "6" and now the Boom connects and receives an IP address within seconds.

Seems that was all it was.

I had the same exact problem. Thanks for posting the followup, it was driving me nuts!

No IP address found

Quote Originally Posted by rjs1974 View Post
    Update folks: I changed the channel on the router from Auto to "6" and now the Boom connects and receives an IP address within seconds.

Seems that was all it was.
    Same thing for me. Still a valid fix 8+ years later! Thanks rjs!!!
    Last edited by “Big Eddie” Mustafa; 2019-01-13 at 10:52. Reason: Thank original poster