Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Image caching on SqueezePlay and memory usage ?

Is there a risk that with multiple applets using image caching it could use a lot of memory ?

The issue I'm scared of is that you don't want to rely on MySB.com image proxy caching if you switch between different images pretty often, some kind of local short time cache seems appropriate. You can use the jive.slim.ArtworkCache object but that will potentially result in that each applet uses 8MB memory which will use a lot of memory if several of these applets are active.

Is there some logic that takes care of this so only the currently visible applet will use memory ?

Let's for example say that I use the switching Screen Switcher applet that switch between different screen savers continuously, would this mean that all these screen savers are loaded into memory and if they used the ArtworkCache they could potentially use over 8MB each ?

Or would SqueezeOS somehow throw out a specific screen saver including it's ArtworkCache instance as soon as it's deactivated and another screen saver is activated ? So my worries are basically unnecessary ?

Screen savers is just a sample, this could also be applets that provide other kind of functionality where the user use several of them.

I guess my question is really if I should just create an instance of jive.slim.ArtworkCache and don't worry about these issues ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Any comments regarding this from someone with deeper SqueezeOS/SqueezePlay knowledge than me ?

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Is there a risk that with multiple applets using image caching it could use a lot of memory ?

The issue I'm scared of is that you don't want to rely on MySB.com image proxy caching if you switch between different images pretty often, some kind of local short time cache seems appropriate. You can use the jive.slim.ArtworkCache object but that will potentially result in that each applet uses 8MB memory which will use a lot of memory if several of these applets are active.

Is there some logic that takes care of this so only the currently visible applet will use memory ?

Let's for example say that I use the switching Screen Switcher applet that switch between different screen savers continuously, would this mean that all these screen savers are loaded into memory and if they used the ArtworkCache they could potentially use over 8MB each ?

Or would SqueezeOS somehow throw out a specific screen saver including it's ArtworkCache instance as soon as it's deactivated and another screen saver is activated ? So my worries are basically unnecessary ?

Screen savers is just a sample, this could also be applets that provide other kind of functionality where the user use several of them.

I guess my question is really if I should just create an instance of jive.slim.ArtworkCache and don't worry about these issues ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )