Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Four years on a "new" Touch . . .

Four years after moving to a new house I just "discovered" (yes, I know) a box in the back of the garage with books from school days on top and . . . an unopened Touch beneath that I assumed was long-since-lost. So, what to do next in order to get it operating?

I have 2xBoom, 3xClassic and some of the player apps to access via phone but I haven't been engaged with the SB server versions/updates in several years although I actively use the platform. Any advice will be most appreciated . . . Thanks much!

You only need Logitech Media Server if you have a local music library to play. You can download it here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.2

Install and point it to your music folders.

If you only listen to internet radio or online music services, just log your Touch into your MySqueezebox account same as your other Squeezeboxes.

Value at auction?

Just a thought, but if it's unopened you should probably check what it might be worth to collectors in that state.

Great 'find' regardless. I bought mine when it was end-of-line and half price, a couple of months later new ones were being advertised at double RRP.
    No idea what they're fetching now.
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    You only need Logitech Media Server if you have a local music library to play. You can download it here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.2

Install and point it to your music folders.

If you only listen to internet radio or online music services, just log your Touch into your MySqueezebox account same as your other Squeezeboxes.
    There is one other option if you have a music library, and that is to use the built in "TinyLMS" in the touch. Plug a thumb drive, maybe USB HDD in the USB port of the touch. I have a no tech friend setup this way, but.....

With both TinyLMS and mysqueezebox.com, they only support http radio streams and many internet radio streams are only using or redirecting to https . Also, Tiny LMS works, but it can behave erratically due to limited memory and it's unsupported for years. I am building a pCP for my friend because he is running into trouble "losing" his favorite radio stations.

OP - curious/confused by your first post, you have booms and classics...in operation? I guess I am assuming they are in boxes as well

Regarding the resell suggesting, I watch these devices on ebay here in the US, and touch's are selling at a premium IMO. Radios are quite cheap. So much so, I bought more

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    There is one other option if you have a music library, and that is to use the built in "TinyLMS" in the touch. Plug a thumb drive, maybe USB HDD in the USB port of the touch. I have a no tech friend setup this way, but.....

With both TinyLMS and mysqueezebox.com, they only support http radio streams and many internet radio streams are only using or redirecting to https . Also, Tiny LMS works, but it can behave erratically due to limited memory and it's unsupported for years. I am building a pCP for my friend because he is running into trouble "losing" his favorite radio stations.

OP - curious/confused by your first post, you have booms and classics...in operation? I guess I am assuming they are in boxes as well

Regarding the resell suggesting, I watch these devices on ebay here in the US, and touch's are selling at a premium IMO. Radios are quite cheap. So much so, I bought more

Jim
    A word of caution for those who didn't know, installing the latest firmware for the Touch, removes the TinySC (TinyLMS) feature.

Name:  TinySC.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  10.5 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    A word of caution for those who didn't know, installing the latest firmware for the Touch, removes the TinySC (TinyLMS) feature.
    good to know! So, if my friend is running tinylms, and it says "new firmware available" and he selects it, will he be DOA? Sorry to have to ask, he is 250 miles away. I'll need to caution him.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    good to know! So, if my friend is running tinylms, and it says "new firmware available" and he selects it, will he be DOA? Sorry to have to ask, he is 250 miles away. I'll need to caution him.

Jim
    He would only get the option to update the Touch's firmware if he was connected to a recent LMS version, had installed the Community Firmware plugin and ticked the option to enable it.

Name:  commfirm.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  35.3 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    He would only get the option to update the Touch's firmware if he was connected to a recent LMS version, had installed the Community Firmware plugin and ticked the option to enable it.
    Thank you, he's safe. I have built a pCP server for him, but wont see him until April. I decided against shipping it to him

sorry to take this thread off topic, back to the OP's new discovery!

Jim

I bought a brand new sealed in the box Touch (dating from 2012) last year, all was good and fine - except the Batteries for the remote had turned to mush! Upon connecting it, it immediately updated itself, causing some problems documented elsewhere in this forum where it would suddenly develop a loud 'SSSHHHHH' noise. Eventual cure was to reinstall the update which must have had a hiccup somewhere along the line, and since then it's been perfect.

-F_D