Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: balance?

One use for a balance control is for those occasional recordings where the balance is off.

balance?

Daverz wrote:
    > One use for a balance control is for those occasional recordings where
    > the balance is off.

And a more modern solution to this problem is to use an audio editor on
    the data file, and adjust it once.

My main audiophile amp does not even have a balance control. I don't
    think I've used a balance control once in the past 20 years.

When you were playing LPs or even CDs, you might need it. In the modern
    world, you can fix it once and be done.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    One use for a balance control is for those occasional recordings where the balance is off.
    Move slightly left and right until the balance is not "off."

Don't forget that the humans sometimes in their older years or after some damage in their youth lose some hearing and require adjustments left and right. Just sayin' that while it can sometimes seem like it's obvious to adjust the content the feature has some real purpose for some people.

balance?

pounce wrote:
    > Just sayin' that while it can sometimes seem like it's
    > obvious to adjust the content the feature has some real purpose for some
    > people.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you that for some people some of
    the time, a balance control can be useful.

It might even be a useful feature to add in some future release of the
    Touch software. So if you want, feel free to enter a RFE into the bugzilla.

But don't hold your breath waiting or it, there are a lot of things that
    will be more useful to more people more often already on the list.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    And a more modern solution to this problem is to use an audio editor on
    the data file, and adjust it once.
    Balance is very subjective and easiest done with a remote from the listening position. Not everyone is set up to do this conveniently with a DAW.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    Balance is very subjective and easiest done with a remote from the listening position. Not everyone is set up to do this conveniently with a DAW.
    Do you really adjust balance a lot/often?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    I don't have a balance control on my pre-amp! I bought into the whole audiophile purity thing, regrettably. No balance control, tone controls, loudness, etc. I did have a balance control on my older gear and did use it occasionally.

The thing is, you may never use a balance control often, but when you need it, you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Phil,

I'm curious if you are challenging the need for some people at all or you are trying to get a sense of the importance of it to determine if you believe the feature is one that should be added.

The device has a headphone out on it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think people might want or expect some of the basic functionality they seem to have in their other electronics that produce sound.

Now sure why so many people are defensive on the issue and are being so negative to the issue instead of just saying "Sure, I can see how people might benefit from this feature" and then just move on...

Killing peoples ideas and challenging them on their needs when you are a more Sr member alienates the new members. I'm just not sure why this community needs to say things like:

...But don't hold your breath waiting or it...
    I think it would be better for Logitech to be making this kind of statement unless we enjoy being totally negative and want to help give customers the impression (real or not) that development on this new product is poorly supported and that they should just return the device....

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by pounce View Post
    I think it would be better for Logitech to be making this kind of statement unless we enjoy being totally negative and want to help give customers the impression (real or not) that development on this new product is poorly supported and that they should just return the device....
    A product isn't really badly supported just because Logitech doesn't add more functionality AFTER you have purchased it. Most electronic products get no added functionality what so ever after the purchase, if you want more functionality you need to buy the next version of most electronic products.

Logitech (or at least Slim Devices) have historically been an exception to this rule, I think their oldest player still works with the latest version of Squeezebox Server even if it was release many years ago. Due to this it also have a lot more functionality today than it had before.

It would certainly be better if Logitech stated these kind of things but as a customer I'd honestly prefer that someone that has been around for a while and see the trends stated it than that no one at all stated it. I think most of the people that have been on these forums for a few years see the same trends as Phil indicates.

I don't think we should expect that Logitech will be adding a lot of functionality to this product after you have purchased it. Unless they increase the amount of development resources I strongly suspect that Logitech will focus on fixing bugs and implementing future products. If we are lucky some of the features implemented for future products will be reusable on the Touch but it's not always going to be the case.

However, the good news is that most of the software, both server and firmware, is released under an open source license. Due to this I also suspect that we will see a lot of added functionality through third party developers.

So to sum it up, the future is bright after all...
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )