Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Does one need router for SB3?

I'm about to sell my wired SB3 but it occurred to me that I may have a use for it if it can be plugged directly into the eternet port of a PC. Is there any need for a router if I have an ethernet port available?

Quote Originally Posted by gdg View Post
    I'm about to sell my wired SB3 but it occurred to me that I may have a use for it if it can be plugged directly into the eternet port of a PC. Is there any need for a router if I have an ethernet port available?
    It can be, you can probably use Internet Connection Sharing... of course, when you turn off your computer it will be useless.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by gdg View Post
    Another alternative is a "switch" rather than a router. Think of it as a six-plug tab (like power) except for ethernet connections.

If you have dsl/cable, your modem is probably giving out ip addresses so you could plug the modem, PC, and SB3 into the switch.

P