Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Experience with Intelís Pinetrail dual core Atom as a Server

I thought I’d summarise my experience with Intel’s Pinetrail dual core Atom board as the basis for a dedicated music server for my Squeezebox family (currently 4 units). I wanted to replace my ageing Dell Optiplex with something a bit quieter and a bit more energy efficient (my Dell uses about 70 watts running and about 3W in S3 standby and I can just hear it from my listening position)
    I recently put together the following system

System components:
    Intel Motherboard D510MO with dual core atom processor
    http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...O-overview.htm
    Mini-itx case (Antec ISK 300-65)
    WD 2.52 320Gb hard drive
    2 Gb DDR2 RAM (Cosair)
    Slimline DVD RW
    Windows7 pro 64bit

I chose this system as it has only one fan in the Antec case which has 3 speeds: the power supply and processor are both passively cooled. I had a spare copy of Windows 7 pro else I might have considered an Ubuntu OS.

Assembling the system was easy but a bit fiddly as there’s not much room in the Antec case. Not too impressed with Antec - one front LED didn’t work and I had to take the front panel apart to align the USB inputs and make them usable.

Performance:
    The system handles Win 7 well with house-keeping applications running well. Boot time from S5 (off) is 70 s and from S3 standby to player use is 12 s. The Controller seems just as responsive as with the Dell in organising and changing playlists.

Library scanning:
    Using 7.5 (embedded version) a complete rescan of a 4000 song library (+ artwork) look just 2 min 35 sec
    Using the standard 7.5 build the same scan took 8 min 20 sec (still quite respectable)

The biggest difference between the Atom and the Dell is when I use Ice Mirror my library back up and compare tool. A compare with my master library took twice as long as the Dell.

Power consumption:
    Idle = 19W
    S3 standby = 1W
    Streaming to two players (one transcoding) = 21W

Noise:
    Inaudible from my listening position 3 m away; barely audible from 1 metre. I have to say that the Antec fan is not very good and replacement with a decent 3rd party fan would make the unit virtually silent.

I manage this system via remote desktop and to date it’s behaved flawlessly. I think I could have chosen a better case but on the whole the system works very well and I would recommend the MB as the basis for a server.

MS
    Last edited by MadScientist; 2010-03-13 at 09:59.

I also have one of these boards and it is superb, i have run a script in win 7 to shut down late at night and it restarts in the morning when set in the bios, can i ask what optical drive you have fitted.

I have this LG drive - nothing special

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...wAg#ps-sellers

I also start up and shutdown via bios and win 7 scheduled tasks.

MS

Thanks for that, was going to get an external one and use the space inside for another hardrive. I will get one of these now.