Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Comparison T500 versus Acer Revo 3610 versus QNAP 219

So yesterday I decided to buy an Acer Revo which would serve two purposes. The first one, multimedia on a plasma screen through HDMI, the second purpose was to run Slimserver on it instead of SSODS on my QNAP as I have it today hoping to gain speed.

Setup
    -Music Libray 8000 Flac songs to QNAP T219
    -Laptop is Lenovo T500 W7 64bit 4Gb Ram,CPU 8700 Squeezecentre 7.4.1 wired to network for the test
    -Acer Revo 3610, W7 64 bit 2Gb Ram,CPU, Atom 330, Squeezcentre 7.4.1 wired to network for test
    -QNAP running SSODS 3.18, running squeezecentre 7.3.2 also wired. (I am not putting myself to the misery of updating SSODS to go on 7.4.1)

Here is where the surprise begins:

Scanning:
    QNAP SSODS fastest, one hour
    T500 second 90 minutes
    Revo way way last 3 hours

Speed of the interface on SB3
    QNAP, extremely fast no lag
    T500, very fast but sometimes menu freezes
    Revo, fast but lags when scrolling through menus

use with IPENG
    QNAP, fast, will be a little slow if I load playlist with 500 songs (to be expected)
    T500, very unstable, kick outs, freezes, refreh rate is nothing to jump on roofs about
    Revo: unusable period. same as t500 but constatly frozen

Now the best part, on both the T500 and even worse on the Revo I had constant rebuffering issues (remember I am wired). SB3 would not respond to change in brightness, pause, play,. I also had 2-3 seconds to respond time. I was also monitoring the CPU and usage

T500 CPU 5%, memory 20%
    Revo CPU 33% memory 45%
    QNAP 6.6% CPU

As you can see the Revo is the most taxed but not enough to justify all these menu freezes and rebuffering

All this to say that I am returning the Acer as it is completly unsuable. I must admit that I am very suprised about these findings. I had also removed all the bloatware before doing the test.

So this was my first try at the 7.4.1. I was soooo happy to go back to the 7.3.2 version hosted on my QNAP.

So the common themes here are W7 64 bits and Squeezecenter 7.4.1, I cant really anything else beeing the culprit. Oh something else, my power setup on W7 was set a best perfomance so none of that power conservation thing. I have another old desktop Pentium 3 2Gb ram on windows XP and this one is rocket fast compared to all the settings above.

Anyway love my QNAP stiking with it. I have no intention to buy a boom or a radio or a touch, I am an SB3 fan of the original Slimdevices days.....

Cheers
    SB3 Silver│SB3 Black│SB Radio│SB Boom │QNAP TS-219 2X 1TB Raid1│IPeng,Apple Touch│(FLAC) Library│Media Monkey│Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Upgradealways View Post
    Anyway love my QNAP stiking with it. I have no intention to buy a boom or a radio or a touch, I am an SB3 fan of the original Slimdevices days.....
    Cheers
    I am surprised at your results with the Revo and T500 both with regards to scanning times and re-buffering. They are both running Windows 7, is this the source of your high scan times?

If you want to give the Revo another shot, try updating to latest 7.4.2 and/or install Ubuntu or some other linux on the Revo as your results aren't typical for people running an Atom based SBS.

Hi Upgradealways

That's very odd, I have recently switched to the Revo 3610 after my old Dell PC finally packed up and I've had no problems with it at all.

I am wired with the Duet Receiver, but have an SB3 and Radio setup wirelessly. I'm very pleased with the Revo, though I did have some initial issues with Wake on Lan. I did update the Bios to the latest version which fixed this problem for me.

I don't have any buffering problems at all with my Revo, even when streaming to multiple devices. Don't suppose you have anti-virus software running that might be causing the problem?

The only thing I didn't like was the amount of time taken to get rid of all the bloatware that comes with the windows7 version!

kantblue

Quote Originally Posted by kantblue View Post
    Hi Upgradealways

That's very odd, I have recently switched to the Revo 3610 after my old Dell PC finally packed up and I've had no problems with it at all.

I am wired with the Duet Receiver, but have an SB3 and Radio setup wirelessly. I'm very pleased with the Revo, though I did have some initial issues with Wake on Lan. I did update the Bios to the latest version which fixed this problem for me.

I don't have any buffering problems at all with my Revo, even when streaming to multiple devices. Don't suppose you have anti-virus software running that might be causing the problem?

The only thing I didn't like was the amount of time taken to get rid of all the bloatware that comes with the windows7 version!

kantblue
    Hi, yes my testings are indeed very odd, to say the least. So for the records I did not have any antivirus installed and all the awesome bloatware was removed. My music source for all tests is the QNAP. So maybie W7 with QNAP is the issue. I'll rerun some test with the T500 so see where this goes. Cheers
    SB3 Silver│SB3 Black│SB Radio│SB Boom │QNAP TS-219 2X 1TB Raid1│IPeng,Apple Touch│(FLAC) Library│Media Monkey│Win7

The only fair test would be to put your music on each respective computer

Scanning over the network is really slow , the NAS probably don't have the power to use the full bandwith off it's ethernet conection.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Got to be the network that is to blame.
    I have a similar server with ca 7600 tunes on a directly connect drive and from memory it takes about 15 min for a full scan.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Do you know how I would assess if it is a network issue. My network is fairly simple. I have a 2Wire router, one of the runs (all inwall cat5e) feeds a switch. My NAS is behind that switch along with the sequeezebox and an access point. The more I write the more I am saying to myself that the switch could be the culprit, mind you I dont know how well the 2wire router performs but I am forced to used this model by my telco carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Upgradealways View Post
    Do you know how I would assess if it is a network issue. My network is fairly simple. I have a 2Wire router, one of the runs (all inwall cat5e) feeds a switch. My NAS is behind that switch along with the sequeezebox and an access point. The more I write the more I am saying to myself that the switch could be the culprit, mind you I dont know how well the 2wire router performs but I am forced to used this model by my telco carrier.
    It's not only the hardware, but also consider the file sharing software's effect on scan times. I assume the QNAP is Linux-based, and if so it is probably using Samba/CIFS to talk with the Windows boxes. The QNAP's Samba could be configured badly, or W7's implementation of CIFS could be crappy, or both. And even if all of that is setup perfectly, it won't match the speed of a local drive.

Smile re did some testing and found the culprit

Everyone,

Well I think you were all right in your explanations. I since returned the Acer as I had found it was to slow all around. After reading all of your post I went and bought the same Revo but with 4gb of RAM (versus 2gb) and with a 500gb HDD which allows me to copy all my music locally.

The change is dramatic.

1-The scanning is fast
    2-The menus respond fast
    3-No more Linux (good for me I am not a pro)
    4-Music synch much easier
    5-Ipeng more responsive
    6-Complete scan is done in 15-20 minutes

I also since then bought a Squeezebox Radio. In the NAS config I could not even synch my radio with the other SB3 (constant rebuffering)now everything works great.

I guess my only disappointment is that I now have a relatively good performing NAS that will be under utilized (I had bought it for squeezebox integration). I guess a good old DNS-323 would do the same.

Now I am very tempted, I need to add two more devices to my setup, I hope the Acer will have enough workhorses to synch 5 units.

Thanks everyone for your input