Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Benefits of Vortexbox over Ubuntu/Squeezebox server?

I'm currently running my Squeezebox Server on an Acer Revo (intel atom based pc with no cd drive) loaded with Ubuntu. This box is only used for squeezeboxes, downloading torrents and for storing photos to be access by other computers.

I've read a bit on these forums about vortexbox and was wondering if there would be any benefit running this instead of the ubunut/squeezebox server setup i have at the moment.

The Acer Revo has no cd drive so the automatic ripping isnt a big priority. What other benefit are there, if any?

FLAC mirror, Auto download of album art, VB player, Easy setup and update and so on.

I moved from Ubuntu\SBS to Vortexbox because i like the appliance idea.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by colincliff View Post
    I'm currently running my Squeezebox Server on an Acer Revo (intel atom based pc with no cd drive) loaded with Ubuntu. This box is only used for squeezeboxes, downloading torrents and for storing photos to be access by other computers.

I've read a bit on these forums about vortexbox and was wondering if there would be any benefit running this instead of the ubunut/squeezebox server setup i have at the moment.

The Acer Revo has no cd drive so the automatic ripping isnt a big priority. What other benefit are there, if any?

Few reasons

- flac mirror
    - vortexbox player - software player on box, I have this linked to wireless headphones and it works well
    - decent user community
    - MusicIP integration
    - Auto cover art

The auto ripping/cover art/re-indexing is the main benefit but there are a lot of other benefits in the box.

vortexbox is basically fedora linux so a lot of similarities with your current set-up

or get xbmc on your revo and hook up to tv hdmi and use the little revo to its full capabilitys!

http://xbmc.org/

Vortexbox

Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server ona laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
    If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .

Quote Originally Posted by tufana View Post
    Hello ,

Today I am using squeezebox server ona laptop with a cd and I have 2 receivers and Classic and one Duet .I do consider to buy a VortexBox .
    If I use vortexbox , will squeezebox run on Vortexbox appliance (Linux) and I can take laprop our from network ? Or both laptop and Vortexbox will exist in the network ? Thx .
    You no longer need your laptop once you have an VortexBox appliance. The appliance will rip CDs and you can play them on youe SqueezeBox.
    rip, tag, get cover artů All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Quote Originally Posted by colincliff View Post

VortexBox does all this including the torrents. It does not have a GUI interface only a web interface so if you want an appliance VortexBox is the way to go. If you want a PC you can browse the web from, run XBMC, etc keep what you have.
    rip, tag, get cover artů All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Oops, an old thread but exactly the question I'd like to ask. As it happens I don't need the Vortexbox ripping facility and if it's possible to run Ubuntu headless via the iPad that would be great.

However, I'm asking from the perspective of a superior sound quality (output via SOTM USB and all controlled by LMS via the Squeezepad app)

Much obliged
    CAPS 2.1e >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905's with PS Audio PPP & Wireworld/Vovox cabling. LMS controlled by Squeezepad/iPeng + every Android phone in the household!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dpaws View Post
    Oops, an old thread but exactly the question I'd like to ask. As it happens I don't need the Vortexbox ripping facility and if it's possible to run Ubuntu headless via the iPad that would be great.

However, I'm asking from the perspective of a superior sound quality (output via SOTM USB and all controlled by LMS via the Squeezepad app)

Much obliged
    there is no sound quality difference between using any server or OS, vortexbox, linux or otherwise. If your computer running LMS is working properly and your network is robust, all are delivering the bits to your SB players perfectly. I am a bit confused by the mention of output via SOTM USB. Sorry if I'm being basic about something you already know, but you do understand that LMS (running on whatever...) is sending the audio data to the SB players via TCP/IP over either WIFI or ethernet and not via USB or a soundcard, etc. That is the primary benefit of the entire SB ecosystem. Perhaps I'm missing the point of your question. Please clarify.
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Sorry if I'm being basic about something you already know, but you do understand that LMS (running on whatever...) is sending the audio data to the SB players via TCP/IP over either WIFI or ethernet and not via USB or a soundcard, etc. That is the primary benefit of the entire SB ecosystem. Perhaps I'm missing the point of your question. Please clarify.
    Many thanks for the quick response! Yes, the LMS controls the remote squeezeboxes BUT (as I understand it) in Vortexbox at least, it also turns the Vortexbox into a player too. I assume it will only be a case of adding an app to Ubuntu to enable "local" playback as well. The digital signal will then pass via a custom USB audio soundcard (the SOTM PCIe) and out to my DAC via an asynchronous USB data connection. Well, that's the theory anyways...
    CAPS 2.1e >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905's with PS Audio PPP & Wireworld/Vovox cabling. LMS controlled by Squeezepad/iPeng + every Android phone in the household!!!