Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wifi card for Boom

Hi all, I acquired a secondhand Boom real cheap (free!). It works great when hardwired to ethernet but I get the wireless card missing message and therefore can't use wifi.

Since this Boom obviously wasn't under warranty anymore I opened it up to see what's what. I noticed that there is a socket that appears to be a mini pci socket with no card in it.

My question is, what type of wifi card can I use in the Boom to restore wifi capability? I have access to a Broadcom 4318MP mini pci card, is this card compatible?

Thanks

Check out this thread:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73567

It talks about replacing the wireless card for an SB3 (aka Classic Squeezebox). If the SB3 and the Boom use the same wireless card (anybody out there know??), then you could get one of these. I think it is likely that the card is the same since the Boom and SB3 are built off the same technology.

BTW, it's pretty cheezy for somebody to sell one of these after they removed the WiFi card. It's not like WiFi was an option on the Boom. You might try going back to the seller and asking what the deal is and where is my WiFi card! Though I guess it would be hard to argue when you got it for free :-).
    Last edited by maggior; 2010-03-03 at 11:18. Reason: Didn't realize the OP got it for free
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Additional info:

It apparently was a demo unit in a store. When I first got it, it wouldn't work at all and kept looping through a demo message. I thought, it doesn't work oh well maybe I can use the speakers out of it! After I installed the server software it installed the updated firmware on the Boom and started working! Of course it only works on wired ethernet.

The model/sn sticker says demo unit not for resale.

The model# is X-RB2
    Part # is 830-000051

It didn't have a remote either but I see you can get one from Logitech cheap enough.

You're lucky that you were able to get it to work at all. Demo units of other models are not operational at all for real use. If you search "demo unit" in these forums, you'll see where people have picked up demo units that they had to toss because they just don't work.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Was nice of the 'seller' to not try to sucker you, some people have been swindled with demo units from ebay in the past. Demo units aren't supposed to be firmware upgradable so consider yourself even more lucky that you have a working unit. No wifi... well you get what you pay for.

Yes, I saw other threads where some paid money for a demo unit and could not get them to work.

I happen to work as a Logitech retail rep and late last year, Logitech told their reps to remove the SB displays from Best Buy stores and they could keep or trash the units. I kept one because I'm a pack rat when it comes to electronic stuff, working or not, for parts if nothing else! I automatically assumed it would be no good for anything other than demo till I started tinkering!

So I guess I need a mini pci card with the AR2413 chipset.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Was nice of the 'seller' to not try to sucker you, some people have been swindled with demo units from ebay in the past. Demo units aren't supposed to be firmware upgradable so consider yourself even more lucky that you have a working unit. No wifi... well you get what you pay for.
    It was no walk in the park to get the firmware upgraded. The SB complained through many reboots but finally gave in! I don't remember the exact sequence of events but it took several hours to get it working properly (no soldering involved!).

I just figured since I managed to get the demo unit working properly, why not 'shoot for the moon' and get the wifi working as well

Wifi card for Boom

If you don't want to mess around with the internals or just can't source
    the right parts, and it doesn't limit your usage of the unit (mobility,
    extra wires, etc.), you might consider going with an external WiFi
    adapter or going to a powerline networking scheme. Either of these would
    require some extra hardware but should get your Boom connected to your
    network.

Wifi card for Boom

webdev <webdev.479lzz1267648206@...> writes:

>
    >
    > andyg;522345 Wrote:
    > > Was nice of the 'seller' to not try to sucker you, some people have been
    > > swindled with demo units from ebay in the past. Demo units aren't
    > > supposed to be firmware upgradable so consider yourself even more lucky
    > > that you have a working unit. No wifi... well you get what you pay for.
    > >

>
    > It was no walk in the park to get the firmware upgraded. The SB
    > complained through many reboots but finally gave in! I don't remember
    > the exact sequence of events but it took several hours to get it working
    > properly (no soldering involved!).
    >
    > I just figured since I managed to get the demo unit working properly,
    > why not 'shoot for the moon' and get the wifi working as well
    >

Hi webdev!

I also just bought a Demo-Boom. For extracting the Display.
    But when I read this, I thought about "flashing" the Demo to life.

My one HAS a Wifi-Card installed an I managed to get into the
    network-settings by pressing the back-button when displaying
    the Demo-Countdown. I connected it via LAN first.
    The Boom is visible an configurable in my LMS 7.7.1 on my Zyxel NSA210
    and NSA325. But I dont get it to update the Firmware
    or to play anything from the Server.

Settings-menu and LMS say "Firmware Version 1" and I've no idea
    how I can force the update.

Can you try to remember how you did it?
    Last edited by borsti; 2012-06-05 at 06:26.

Updates?

Did anyone made any progress in getting demo units to work?

I┤ve also received one by chance. It has a Wifi card installed, it gets discovered by LMS... But as you know, nothing else is possible.