Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Joining the NAS community.

Hey all,
    I took the plunge and bought a ReadyNAS NV+ with no disks. Overstock.com has them (NEW, not refurb) for under $400 with free shipping and no tax. Got 4 750G SATA ii drives ordered and am looking forward to getting it all up and running with RAID-x config.

Anyone else using this setup that wants to give me some tips, please do so!

Glad to be here.

Tom
    TomDac
    Hayward, CA
    www.martinloganowners.com
    MartinLogan Summits, Pass X250, SB3 w/iPod Touch as remote, Anthem Statement D2, Pass X5, Oppo BDP-83

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    Hey all,
    I took the plunge and bought a ReadyNAS NV+ with no disks. Overstock.com has them (NEW, not refurb) for under $400 with free shipping and no tax. Got 4 750G SATA ii drives ordered and am looking forward to getting it all up and running with RAID-x config.

Anyone else using this setup that wants to give me some tips, please do so!

Glad to be here.

Tom
    Sold mine a long time ago. My advice, if possible return it all and buy a PC or Vortexbox. Also RAID is useless these days (in this application, it just gives one the false sense that ones ripping labor is safe). RAID is not true backup. If the Server dies or takes a direct hit, then one ends up with nothing. One is better off using a purpose built server from an Atom board or PC and backing up to USB drives. This is true backup and protection. It will be more robust, more powerful, and only cost about $450 total and have true backup.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

I have had the NV+ running for a bit over a year and have had few issues.
    I play back mostly FLAC and mp3 files. I have seen folks complain about other formats( WMA , iTunes files ), but have no direct experience.
    The primary complaint I have heard is the speed of the web interface with SqueezeServer.
    It is slow. I only use it for maintenance so I don't find it a problem.
    You can backup the unit to an attached USB drive for safety.
    The backup disk works best( fastest) when it is formatted ext3.
    As with any system you count on, use a UPS.
    Upgrade the firmware to the latest, and follow the wiki pages for updating
    squeezeCenter
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...er_on_ReadyNAS

Turn off unused plugins in the SqueezeCenter settings.
    You might look into upping the memory to 1gb, I assume it came with 256mb.
    It can not hurt the performance, it probably will help.

As noted there are other paths to take if you are not satisfied with the NV+, but it does work.

Mark.
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Edifier S1000DB
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 6.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    SqueezeAmp 3 Monsoon MM-700 flat panels + Infinity sub
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.3

Thanks Mark! Sounds like I will be using it pretty much like you are.

Tom
    TomDac
    Hayward, CA
    www.martinloganowners.com
    MartinLogan Summits, Pass X250, SB3 w/iPod Touch as remote, Anthem Statement D2, Pass X5, Oppo BDP-83

Tom (funny running into you here!)... I've been using my NV+ for over a year now. No problems whatsoever, EXCEPT it's not powerful enough to run SqueezeCenter AND handle 24/96 streaming. For me that's not a major issue, as I run SqueezeCenter on my office laptop, and switch to the NV+ version only for the rare times my laptop is turned off. Nowadays, you can buy a Terabyte USB hard drive for under $100, so it's easy to have a spare backup of the NV+.
    Main system: Touch > Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB > Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expression 13A's. Audience AU24e cables. Secondary systems elsewhere in home: 1- Boom, 2- SB3's, and 2- SB Radio's. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society

Just to be clear, I am not saying it will not work, I am saying it is a poor choice money and performance wise. If one needs to use SoX for 24/96 files, buy something else. If you plan on having a huge collection of FLAC, again buy something else.

If its 1000 CDs ripped to MP3, sure it will work fine. I just think there are much better ways to go for less money and better performance.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    ... Also RAID is useless these days (in this application, it just gives one the false sense that ones ripping labor is safe). RAID is not true backup. If the Server dies or takes a direct hit, then one ends up with nothing. One is better off using a purpose built server from an Atom board or PC and backing up to USB drives. This is true backup and protection. It will be more robust, more powerful, and only cost about $450 total and have true backup.
    I almost completely disagree. RAID varies in the amount of security you are willing to live with, but it is immensely secure in even its most rudimentary forms (except RAID 0 which is meant to only improve speed, not security).

Search before you type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

How can something that requires user intervention to be more robust, more powerful as you say? RAID 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 0+1 all do this INSTANTLY.
    Last edited by kphinney; 2010-02-26 at 10:03.
    I like it, you may not. I understand and respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by kphinney View Post
    I almost completely disagree. RAID varies in the amount of security you are willing to live with, but it is immensely secure in even its most rudimentary forms (except RAID 0 which is meant to only improve speed, not security).

How can something that requires user intervention to be more robust, more powerful as you say? RAID 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 0+1 all do this INSTANTLY.
    I agree with iPhone. Most system failures I have seen are from heat or electrical disturbance. Both of these will kill all your drives. Also the more platters you have spinning the higher your chance of failure.

If you need a lot of space get one 2TB drive for your systems and another one for backup. Backup your data and put your backup drive in a safe place.

Also think about this if your NV+ fails you need another one of the same model to get all your data back. If you PC based NAS fails just hook your backup drive to your PC and theirs your data.

This is why I never use hardware RAID. If you controller fails you need the exact same controller or NAS to get your data back.

RAID is not backup.
    rip, tag, get cover artů All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    ... or takes a direct hit
    That made me LOL, you can't describe it better.

Quote Originally Posted by kphinney View Post
    ...and in the same vein, read your own reference before you trot it out as "evidence" to support your point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RA...ot_data_backup