Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone explain File Format Conversion Setup ?

In the Filetype screen of the Advanced Tab in the Settings menu, there is a list of File Formats and corresponding Stream Formats and decoders.

As supplied, my squeezecenter has for FLAC

File Format......Stream Format......Decoder
    FLAC..............FLAC.....................Native
    .....................MP3......................disa bled
    .....................PCM......................flac

What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that FLAC is streamed as FLAC and decoded in my squeezebox, or does it mean that FLAC is decoded to PCM and then streamed to the squeezebox? I presume that if I disable one of the two settings that forces the other, but what if both are enabled as is the case with the standard installation. Is there a 'best' way of doing it?
    Last edited by JezA; 2010-02-24 at 04:38.

What are you trying to achieve with these settngs?

By default, FLAC is streamed as FLAC to players than can handle it.

For players that cannot (like the original SqueezeBox) PCM is the stream format and FLAC (specifically flac.exe on Windows) is used to decode the original file to PCM.

MP3 is probably disabled because you haven't copied LAME into your Squeezebox Server installation (not included by default because of licensing issues). Decoding to MP3 will be used for the origianl SliMP3 player or for remote streaming using http://<server_ip>:9000/stream.mp3.

You shouldn't need to mess with this, the default configuration is perfect for everything except really unusual setups.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

I'm not trying to achieve anything except understanding!

The first enabled option (reading down) takes precedence
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Cheers. I understand now - I didn't know about historical products, so couldn't understand why there were two options enabled for FLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by JezA View Post
    Cheers. I understand now - I didn't know about historical products, so couldn't understand why there were two options enabled for FLAC.
    In that case, this page me be of interest to you: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...wareComparison

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    My Squeezecenter default settings for WAV have as the first enabled option "FLAC sox", then "MP3 disabled", then "PCM native".

If, as you say, the first enabled option reading down takes precedence, does that mean WAV gets transcoded to FLAC?

Looking at the whole page, it strikes me that the Stream Format options are always in alphabetical order, so I'd be interested to know where it is written that the first enabled option reading down takes precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by JezA View Post
    My Squeezecenter default settings for WAV have as the first enabled option "FLAC sox", then "MP3 disabled", then "PCM native".

If, as you say, the first enabled option reading down takes precedence, does that mean WAV gets transcoded to FLAC?

Looking at the whole page, it strikes me that the Stream Format options are always in alphabetical order, so I'd be interested to know where it is written that the first enabled option reading down takes precedence.
    Yes, by default WAV is transcoded to FLAC - which is a good thing IMO. The alpha order is a co-incidence, caused by the fact that the options are always flac/mp3/pcm unless aac or aiff are involved.

If you don't believe me it's easy enough to prove it to yourself... just enable stream logging and play with the options.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Thanks Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Phil,
    Is there a way to override the precedence for force a particular stream to be transcoded instead of going native?

e.g. I want default of having wma to be send to squeezebox as wma native. However, selectively assign some streams to be transcoded. (This is because some mms streams could not be decoded natively. If I enable native, those streams could not be decoded at all. If I disable native, all streams will be transcoded.) It would be great if the squeezebox server could handle this automatically. i.e. if native does not work, switch to the next transcode.