Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

SqueezeBox Radio battery kit avalible

Tired of waiting for the SqueezeBox Radio battery? Build one yourself for $7.99.

I just built a battery for my SqueezeBox Radio. It works awesome but I need some specialized parts. The pins for the special 2mm connector that connects the battery to the SqueezeBox Radio had a minimum order of 1000pcs. So I decided to offer a kit to built the battery.

This kit included everything you need accept the batteries which are easy to get on-line or at your local battery store, RadioShack etc.

With the kit you get instructions, the 2mm spaced connector, and the temperature sensor that goes in the middle of the battery pack. That plus about an hour of your time and your ready to go.

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/S...queezepack.htm
    Last edited by agillis; 2011-01-27 at 15:32.
    rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

You must have good liability insurance to take the risk that following your instructions won't result in a fire or other problem. Especially with how funky rechargeable batteries can be.

I wish no harm to anyone. But if it has taken >6 months for the company's experienced hardware engineers to STILL not have finished this project with suitable performance and safety specs, how could a roll-your-own project be expected to be adequate?

Re: SqueezeBox Radio battery kit avalible

Well, if I read this forum correctly the problem is not in the HW but in the software so it will apply to the self-made battery as well.
    And it sounds like it's unlikely that it will ruin anything other than that battery.
    Unless, of course, that self-made battery causes trouble.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    You must have good liability insurance to take the risk that following your instructions won't result in a fire or other problem. Especially with how funky rechargeable batteries can be.
    I am not selling completed batteries just the parts to build them. I have seen people on this forum mod all kinds of equipment. You absolutely take a risk when you build something yourself. My battery has been running for a week with no problems and other people on the net have had similar results.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Questions about DIY Battery

I too built a battery. Major hassle finding the right connector and $5.99 is a very fair price. However, could I persuade you to share your instructions? I followed the instructions at

http://cms.diodenring.de/de/electron.../92-squeezebox

and there are a few ambiguities.

1. Packaging the batteries. The batteries won't fit in the SBR when using regular battery holders. I purchased two version, and they are both too big. What do you do for packaging? Solder directly to the ends of the battery? That would probably fit, but I'm unsure about damage to the battery. Perhaps use batteries manufactured with solder tabs? That too would likely work, but all the sources I could find charge about $4.00 per battery.

2. Battery taps. The referenced web site puts taps between cells 3/4 and 7/8. It appears to be a guess on the part of the author. Add to that another guess on my part - which tap goes to which connector pin and you've got some serious experimentation going on. My experience was good for a while. I connected the 3/4 tap to to pin 3 and the 7/8 tap to pin 5 (using the numbering scheme on the reference web site) Battery one is considered the first one in the series stack, where the positive connection goes directly to pin 1. The battery charged up normally (topping out at about 29 degrees C) and then I used it straight on battery power. After several hours (about 6) the battery was showning about one third remaining. Music continued to play, but none of the buttons would work. Not even the power or volume button. Pulling the battery connection reset the box, and it promptly did it again. It's now on wall power with the batteries charging again. Clearly something is amiss and I am hoping it is related to the battery tap connections.

Again, could you share your instructions?

Wooo Hooo. Thanks.

I used the instructions that you used and bought my batteries at battery junction. I held my batteries together with Duct tape just like the author of your article.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Quote Originally Posted by agillis View Post
    So I decided to offer a kit to built the battery.
    Do you ship to the UK and if so how much is the shipping, or is it included?

I tried to enter my UK post code into the billing details on your site but it is not accepted.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by elziko View Post
    Do you ship to the UK and if so how much is the shipping, or is it included?

I tried to enter my UK post code into the billing details on your site but it is not accepted.

Thanks!
    Shipping is included. I have already shipped some to the UK not sure what the problem with yours was.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox