Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vortexbox - external USB drive

Hi I'm a total linux noob.

I'm installing votexbox right now.
    I have my music on an external usb-drive.
    How do I mount it the right way and make sure both SBS and windowsclients connecting with Samba/smb have the right rights.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

The best option is to copy the files over to your VortexBox machine.
    rip, tag, get cover art… All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Thanks for the reply.

It's not really an option. There is not eneough space on the pc's own disk. And I don't want to buy a new disk for the old machine I use as server.

I think I saw another thread where someone had managed it. I did say I'm a linux-noob. But I'm far from a novice when it comes to general IT skills. So even if it does require some work, I would prefer to try and set it up.

Vortexbox looks really good and from the few dozens of albums I copied to it it appears to perform quite a bit better than winxp on it.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

It's not really an option. There is not eneough space on the pc's own disk. And I don't want to buy a new disk for the old machine I use as server.

I think I saw another thread where someone had managed it. I did say I'm a linux-noob. But I'm far from a novice when it comes to general IT skills. So even if it does require some work, I would prefer to try and set it up.

Vortexbox looks really good and from the few dozens of albums I copied to it it appears to perform quite a bit better than winxp on it.
    I don't have a link to the specific thread, but check the Ubuntu Forum. Search on Vortexbox or USB drives, the thread is about how to make a USB drive show up under the same drive letter every time with the permission's set so programs can use the data files on the assigned USB drive.

IIRC, it was in the Ubuntu Newbie section.

Hope that helps.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Yes, you can create a sub folder under the music folder and mount the drive there. You need to do this from command line though.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Ok, thanks for the replies. I guees I'll have to study a bit )
    BR Mogens

So if I mount it under the music-folder, I wont have to fiddle about with permissions?
    BR Mogens

Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    So if I mount it under the music-folder, I wont have to fiddle about with permissions?
    Mount it under /storage/music/flac
    in the GUI select "get cover art" The get cover art process resets all permissions so that should work. I can't guarantee this will work since I have no idea how your USB drive is setup.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

Ok

USB drive is FAT32, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    BR Mogens

No FAT32, NTFS, ext3 should all work.

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox