Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I think it would be a good idea to dedicate the half of the screen to a Now Playing screen and the other half to a navigation/control screen. Possibly also a screen saver mode when it's placed in the docking station a a few meters away from where I'm sitting.

Things that would be nice when used as screen saver in the docking station:
    - Album art, large is good but I have a feeling it doesn't have to be a lot larger than it is on the touch.
    - Now playing information with larger font, artist, album, track.
    - YouTube video of currently playing track (only video, not audio)
    - Artist artwork, from LastFM or something similar. It's accessible through Custom Scan already today.
    - Big clock
    - Preferably the the possibility to select what "view" you like to show in different areas of the screen

When I have it in the hand it would also be nice to from the Now Playing screen have access to:
    - Play, pause, stop, fwd/rew controls (and other things needed)
    - Easily access to presets/favorites
    - Biography/AlbumReview plugin information about currently playing artist/album
    - Lyrics
    - Shortcuts to configurable menus (similar to bottom toolbar on iPeng on iPhone)
    - Current playlist
    - Track details of currently playing track

When navigating the library, we of course want things like:
    - Playlist creation with drag&drop
    - Information about currently browsed artist/album, compare with Custom Browse page headers in web UI
    - It feels like it might be good to use half the screen for navigation menus and the other half for artist/album information or possibly a Now Playing screen.

If something isn't supported in SBS and you need JSON support and can't get Logitech to implement it, let us know.

I'm getting more and more exited when I think about the possibilities, this is going to be great. Now, I'm just worried that I won't be able to get a a 3G version in Sweden until after the summer due to some stupid arrangements with 3G operators.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    If something isn't supported in SBS and you need JSON support and can't get Logitech to implement it, let us know.
    Lyrics (see my comment above).
    Lyrics
    Lyrics
    Artist artwork (will have a look at custom Scan).
    I'm getting more and more exited when I think about the possibilities, this is going to be great. Now, I'm just worried that I won't be able to get a a 3G version in Sweden until after the summer due to some stupid arrangements with 3G operators.
    Why do you want the 3G version? Do you plan to take this out of the house?
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Why do you want the 3G version? Do you plan to take this out of the house?
    I'm not sure, it just felt like adding $130 to get 3G would be worth it just to be safe for the future. I'd hate to buy a Wifi and a month later realize that I really need 3G. It could be nice when traveling instead of surfing on the small iPhone screen or bringing a separate laptop.

I don't really need a 3G subscription from the beginning, it would be enough to just know that I can add it later if needed.

Lyrics (see my comment above).
    Lyrics
    Lyrics
    Lyrics are supported in the database already if you have a lyrics tag, but I guess you mean automatic lyrics fetch? The problem is legality around this, that's why Logitech can't implement it.

How would this work anyway? Are you talking about automatic linking to some online artwork, like the Flickr plugin does? Same legal problems for us to implement it, other than the Flickr way.

It requires scanning with the LastFM scanning module in Custom Scan and I think it requires Custom Browse to access the cached image files.

After that you can use URL's like:
    http://x.x.x.x:9000/plugins/CustomBr...sts&artist=446

If we really want this I think it would be pretty easy to implement a solution that didn't require scanning, I just implemented it in Custom Scan because I needed other information (tags and similar artists) from LastFM which I had to store locally to make it possible to use in Custom Browse and SQL Playlist.

By the way, similar artists would be nice in iPeng iPad too.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Lyrics are supported in the database already if you have a lyrics tag, but I guess you mean automatic lyrics fetch? The problem is legality around this, that's why Logitech can't implement it.
    ...which is also why I can't...
    I would want Karaoke tags in the Lyrics, too, btw
    How would this work anyway? Are you talking about automatic linking to some online artwork, like the Flickr plugin does? Same legal problems for us to implement it, other than the Flickr way.
    Well, probably more reasons for a plugin...
    If I could just get an artwork for an artist from the server, that would already be nice... if it's not there, I just display some generic stuff...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Implementation of a feature isn't illegal unless you're thinking about ripping off copyright holders. There are plenty of companies out there ready to license data. Cost is and will always be the main factor.

Logitech has plenty of contacts and money to work on some additional licensing deals.

That said, it's easy enough to get lyrics into your tags ahead of time. But yes, I can see the appeal to fetching them and artwork on-demand, since after all this is a connected device.

ITunes sucks for many reasons. Its UI, when browsing local music, is not one of those. There is no music management app for any platform with as much functionality nor as usable a UI. I don't necessarily think it's the right UI for a media pad, nor does it make the best playback UI.

Whatever gets implemented, just make sure that there is a way to have the screen filled completely with an album art grid. In other words, if there's a split pane showing Now Playing make it able to be turned off/on. Also make sure there's a Now Playing that focuses solely on what's now playing and possibly some info of what's coming next, but not the previous grid navigation. In other words, this doesn't need to be a rehash of the web interface. Because one can already hit the web interface if that's what they want.

I'd have no problems paying $20 for a new version of iPeng if it supported playback on top of all this. And I suspect thousands of other people feel the same way. Imagine how many people are out there, currently without Squeezebox hardware that might be interested in being able to use iPeng as a player along with a server installation? No one is going to convince the mass-market that the audio quality out of the iPod or iPad isn't good enough. Most listeners here don't have the rest of the equipment to ever notice a difference either.

I've already got 2 classic SB3 and a radio on the way, and I can still appreciate and desire iPeng with playback support for use on either iPhone/iPod or iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelonMonkey View Post
    I'd have no problems paying $20 for a new version of iPeng if it supported playback on top of all this.
    I'd have no problems paying $20 for a iPad version of iPeng without playback.

Quote Originally Posted by MelonMonkey View Post
    And I suspect thousands of other people feel the same way. Imagine how many people are out there, currently without Squeezebox hardware that might be interested in being able to use iPeng as a player along with a server installation? No one is going to convince the mass-market that the audio quality out of the iPod or iPad isn't good enough. Most listeners here don't have the rest of the equipment to ever notice a difference either.
    I'm not sure about playback on iPad. It's very useful as a Squeezebox replacement when you have it in the docking station but is it really going to be that useful when the iPad isn't in the dock ?

The iPhone or iPod Touch is completely different because you can keep them in the pocket with headphones. I'm imagining that I'll want to use some other application on the iPad if I don't have it in the dock and as I've understood it, everyone assumes it won't support background applications.

Following this for 24 hrs and seeing the number of good ideas is very exciting. Reading the dialog between Pippin and Erland and thinking of the possibilities if these two combined forces (with the significant improvements that seem to be promised with v7.5 / 8.0 )to produce the plugin/app that delivered on just some of these features makes me wonder what Logitechs next product after the Touch might be. Clearly there are a lot of fans of iPeng who love the idea of a bigger, better interface and the concept of a great media player front end for the best digital audio players so far produced. This would catapult Logitech ahead of any other players out there IMHO. Sign me up.
    Squeezcenter running on ACER R1600 Windows XP
    Fileserver ReadyNAS Duo
    Main Listening Transporter / Controller
    Kitchen : SB3
    Bedroom : Boom
    Bath : SBRadio
    Study: Duo

Over.my.dead.body!
    As a long time iPeng user and fan, I agree. The iThangs (phone, touch, pad) will do many things differently than the SBTouch. Why hobble the UI?

Stuff I would like to see:

Currently, in the SBS webUI, URLs in COMMENTs are automatically parsed and rendered into links. It would be nice if iPeng could do this too and allow Safari to open the link. This ability goes way back to the 6.0 days, I believe.

E.g:
    Code:
    REM COMMENT "Bauer, Marion EugÚnie (b Walla Walla, WA, 15 Aug 1882; d South Hadley, MA, 9 Aug 1955). American composer, teacher and writer on music.; http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/subscriber/article/grove/music/02353?q=Bauer&search=quick&pos=3&_start=1#firsthit; Orchestral Works; Ambache Chamber Orchestra and Ensemble; "
    Also currently in the webUI, if a COMMENT or LYRIC tag contains html, the webUI renders this correctly and, again, allows the user to click on and open any links embedded.

E.g.:
    Code:
    comment[6]: LYRICS=<a href=http://squeezeserver/t_Post%20Modern%20Contemporary/Tenney,%20J/bio.html target=_blank>
    <h3>Tenney, James (Carl)</h3>
    <p>(b Silver City, NM, 10 Aug 1934; d Valencia, CA, 24 Aug 2006). American composer, theorist, educator and performer.</p>
    </a>
    These features were initially broken in the 7.0 'new default' SC skin when Michael started putting it together. I think it was almost a one-liner for him to re-enable this. Hopefully, it wouldn't be much harder for you to put the same functionality into iPeng. But I don't really have a clue, really, about what sort of a coding effort I'm asking for here.