Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hi Pippin

After you great work on the iPhone, I am sure that you will come up with something great.

I am still exited about the iPAD, even if it just lies around the sitting room to control my arsenal of Squeezeboxes.

please make it fast and inituitive. With so much screen real estate we can have album art and syncing and playlist editing and .....

Sike

iPeng on Android - a better option

Go on i'll stick my head up to be shot at!
    i have been having the ipad debate today in the office and before i get blasted

* the iPad looks sweet (although expensive)
    * iPeng is remarkable on the App Store and iPhone - i use it

What i would like is a port of the iPeng app to either Android or other similar open o/s. My wife has an android app on her Hero for control of the squeezeboxen but it is not in the same league. The iPad will change the market even if it means smaller cheaper tablet style devices with a "mobile" os such as android...now those devices i would buy and multiples of them....

Just an FYI, 600x600 is about the mid-size of my artwork. Generally I only have smaller for things that I have been too lazy to scan when I haven't been able to find a larger size. I prefer artwork that's over 1000x1000 and some of my tracks have closer to 2000x2000 artwork.

You'd probably do well to have support for something around 600x600 but also offer support for larger in the case of a screen saver.

Copying the Squeezebox Touch interface is not the way to go.

I'd love to see multiple modes of picking albums, including a list similar to the current iPeng (but larger) and of course an album cover wall, even if it didn't have adjustable cover size.

You should probably strongly focus on making sure that you can access everything from either orientation. Forcing someone to turn the device is not a good idea. You can see this in the iPhone's own iPod app where turning the device is the only way to do cover flow - and it's the only thing you can do in that orientation. The new iPod app on the iPad looks a lot better than any of Apple's previous efforts, but it shouldn't be to difficult to make something even more spectacular for iPeng.

Also. A lot of people will use an iPod or iPad instead of a Squeezebox as soon as iPeng has playback support. Imagine the iPad in a cradle, even if a custom one to mount it horizontally, connected to your stereo system. That's a pretty nice Squeezebox Touch right there. Might as well buy two of them. One of them for playback and the other to use as a remote control.
    Last edited by MelonMonkey; 2010-01-28 at 10:42.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MelonMonkey View Post
    Also. A lot of people will use an iPod or iPad instead of a Squeezebox as soon as iPeng has playback support. Imagine the iPad in a cradle, even if a custom one to mount it horizontally, connected to your stereo system. That's a pretty nice Squeezebox Touch right there.
    yeauch! - oh no it isn't. iPad = great controller (potentially) but NOT a great playback device. At least, not while it runs an Apple operating system... and it won't even get close to Touch sound quality.
    Last edited by Phil Leigh; 2010-01-28 at 10:59.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

FYI please don't go crazy on your album art, adding 10MB huge scanned files to your tags like I have been seeing lately. This can cause some problems with the scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by MelonMonkey View Post
    The new iPod app on the iPad looks a lot better than any of Apple's previous efforts, but it shouldn't be to difficult to make something even more spectacular for iPeng.
    Hm.. I found that just a little bit too close to my well hated iTunes.
    But I did get a few _really_ cool ideas from some of the other apps. Just don't know whether they are feasible, yet.

Plus the general layout (categories on the side, content next to it) is probably the way to go.

@Andy (and all):
    We
    need.more.visuals.in.SBS!

I want artist artwork!
    I want more than one cover per album!

@Community:
    We need a good Lyrics plugin. Yes, I know there is one. But it only uses one source, which is one with doubtful legal status.
    Plus it doesn't have any CLI support so I can't get any info out of it for iPeng.
    Plus I can't replicate it's functionality 1:1 without getting thrown out of the App Store.
    We should have a plugin that looks for Lyrics on various locations among them at least a few licensed ones like Lyric Wiki.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

@Andy (and all):
    We
    need.more.visuals.in.SBS!

I want artist artwork!
    I want more than one cover per album!
    Agreed, need to get to my "rethink artwork" bug at some point.

Another thing I'd like to see Pippin - an option for big text that flows the whole width of the screen.
    One unfortunate thing about the iPad is the inability to dock it in landscape. That would be nice to do if you want it docked and playing music - and if the display was large enough to read across the room.

Since it can't multitask - what about the ability to show a slideshow from a selected album on your iPad while simultaneously showing the iPeng/now playing info? Maybe the slideshow on the bottom and the iPeng content on top in portrait mode?

BTW, it goes without saying, but iPeng is great!

Jeff

Look at itunes and the way it looks on the iPad...you can't go wrong with that, at least visually.

Rather than worry about visuals, my sugggestion is on adding functionality.

One feature on the LCD screen of my squeezeboxes which I find to be most helpful that adds to the listening experience is that when on the "Now Playing" screen, by clicking to the right, there is a new screen which adds choices to listen to the same or similar artists or the same or similar song or similar playlists on the other music apps, such as on Slacker, on Last FM, on Pandora and on Rhapsody.

This powerful feature allows me to explore and discover music from the competing services. Each service has its own take on what it considers to be similar music and they all interpret what is "similar" differently. I get a lot more choices with this feature.

I would love to have this feature added to iPeng.