Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Squeezeplay now under BSD License

It is with great pleasure that I am announcing that we've gained final approval for changing Squeezeplay to be licensed under BSD.

I'm checking in the changes to the files right now on the 7.4/trunk branch, and will pull them up the ladder to 7.5 following that.

This is a big victory for us, and want to thank Andy, Michael, our past leader Matt Cuson, as well as several others that didn't give up on pressing for this approval.

I want to emphasize that we have a long way to go in building/rebuilding our 3rd party development community, and I've been having some discussions offline with some of you on how to strengthen that. I'm also getting some positive indications (really) from our new management that they are indeed interested in not only embracing 3rd party development but to doing it right. To do this right will take time and effort, and that's not going to happen until Squeezebox Touch is on the market. So for now I'd like for all to be cautiously optimistic. And patient.

On this particular issue however, the BSD license for Squeezeplay, I pressed (and pressed and pressed) that it was a critical olive branch worth doing immediately, and I really feel it's cause for celebration that this finally got approved.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Well done Ben, I really didn't think that would happen. So I for one see that as a very good sign.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Thumbs up

+1
    Congratulations, !
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Congratulations,

one small step for man, giant leap for ...
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Thumbs up

Bravo.

Rock n' Roll!

Well done Ben and the team. It is great to have some good news on this front.
    Congratulations indeed!
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Thumbs up

I think this is good news, that should restore faith in the productline for many users.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
    This is a big victory for us, and want to thank Andy, Michael, our past leader Matt Cuson, as well as several others that didn't give up on pressing for this approval.
    Congratulations. That's great news! And thanks to all of you for not giving up on this.
    I'm also getting some positive indications (really) from our new management that they are indeed interested in not only embracing 3rd party development but to doing it right.
    This is just as good news!

One more thing regarding the license:
    I understand that there are parts of the code that you can't sub-license so it will still not be possible to redistribute whole builds of SqueezePlay.
    For this reason: would it be possible to build SP, especially for the devices (Touch, Radio, Controller) in a way that you can distribute the "Core" with the 3rd party licenses separately from the higher level stuff that is purely Logitech (mainly the UI part)?
    This would making distributing modified versions of SP much easier since you could distribute not only add-ons but also changed versions.

This especially applies to the firmware update process. It would be good to have a way to not overwrite changes in the higher level part when updating the low-level stuff.

I understand this is not something we'll see for 7.5.0.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Smile Well Done

both to Logitech for seeing the light and Ben for perservering.

let's look forward to both the Touch and more collaboration afterwards.
    2 * SB3, 1 * Boom, 2 * Radio and 1 * Touch
    controlled by IR, SBC [and iPeng on iPhone]
    7.5.4 r32171 on WHS on HP MediaSmart (EX470) upgraded to 2G RAM
    http://www.last.fm/user/digimich

+1 here. I suspect an awful lot of effort went into this behind the scenes, which is appreciated (even by those of us who don't develop but just try hard to break things at the beta stage).
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen