Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Napster Bit Rate

Hi

According to Napster FAQs and Napster customer support the majority of tracks are now being streamed at 192kbps WMA. Despite a lot of searching I have yet to find a track that shows up on the Squeezebox info as anything other than 128kbps.

Is this a display issue on the Squeezebox or are Napster telling porkies?

Keith
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, can't spare enough hours today for that 5 min job on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by KMorgan View Post
    Hi

According to Napster FAQs and Napster customer support the majority of tracks are now being streamed at 192kbps WMA. Despite a lot of searching I have yet to find a track that shows up on the Squeezebox info as anything other than 128kbps.

Is this a display issue on the Squeezebox or are Napster telling porkies?

Keith
    Napster streams were at 192kbps prior to the new format/pricing. All streams now are at 128kbps. You can still get 192kbps if you go for their 'Napster to Go' package for ú15.00 this allows you to download 192kbps drm protected wma files to your computer allowing you to copy them to a compatible player.

Japes

I've had a Napster sub for nearly a year now and the bit rate has been 128kbps throughout. By chance I looked at their FAQs today and read this,

The Napster music that is downloaded to your computer is in MP3 format at 256 Kbps stereo. The majority of tracks that are streamed from the Napster service are offered at 192Kbps. Tracks that are not available at 192Kbps are streamed at 128Kbps.
    It definitely used to say 128kbps. Couldn't find any tracks at 192 so I emailed support and got this reply,

At this time, the majority of tracks that are streamed from the Napster service are offered at a bit rate of 192Kbps. Tracks that are not available at 192Kbps are streamed at 128Kbps. We are working on upgrading all of our tracks to a higher bit rate, but unfortunately there is no estimated time table for every track offered in the Napster service.
    BTW it seems the To Go option has been removed from their tariffs with the new structure.

Keith

p.s. I've asked them to specify a track known to stream at 192kbps to see what my SB says.
    Last edited by KMorgan; 2010-01-13 at 14:35.

I'll go and look at their site again, but, everything I stream is at 128kbps.

I have 'napster to go' everything I download is at 192kbps.

You can get 'napster to go' is you call and ask for it!

Off to look at their blurb!

JP

Right I agree with your quote of what they say you'll get, but it's not what I've experienced. like I said I get 128kbps as a stream & 192kbps as a drm wma download.

If you google info on the revamped service, most articles seem to agree that the stream is 128kbps, many make comment of this against Spotify's 160kbps (free) & 320kbps (premium) services.

JP

Even if Napster started streaming at 192kbps, the menu would still show 128, because that value is hardcoded in there. At the time it was implemented, that's all they had with no plans to change. If you find a track you think is 192 let me know and I'll confirm.

Andy

Thanks for that. In that case I'll take Napsters word for it that most are at 192kbps.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Japes View Post
    Right .....like I said I get 128kbps as a stream & 192kbps as a drm wma download........
    My Napster downloaded music purchases are 256k MP3 and DRM free.
    Perhaps your lower bitrate WMA with DRM are from prior purchases when Napster employed DRM?
    Maybe regional? UK dl's are different licensing than USA?

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    My Napster downloaded music purchases are 256k MP3 and DRM free.
    Perhaps your lower bitrate WMA with DRM are from prior purchases when Napster employed DRM?
    Maybe regional? UK dl's are different licensing than USA?
    The DRM WMA's are part of the 'Napster to Go' deal. I get no DRM free MP3 download allowance on that deal. If I were to purchase MP3 files from Napster, then they would be DRM free MP3's at 256kbps.

On 'Napster to Go' I can download (to my hard drive) an unlimited amount of DRM WMA's to play offline. These are all at 192kbps.

http://www.napster.co.uk/ntg.html

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Japes View Post
    The DRM WMA's are part of the 'Napster to Go' deal. I get no DRM free MP3 download allowance on that deal. If I were to purchase MP3 files from Napster, then they would be DRM free MP3's at 256kbps.

On 'Napster to Go' I can download (to my hard drive) an unlimited amount of DRM WMA's to play offline. These are all at 192kbps.

http://www.napster.co.uk/ntg.html

JP
    OIC, thanks.