Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Creating a subfolder in Duet's menu 'Albums'

First of all: everybody a happy new year!

I've a question about creating subfolders in the DUET's menu "Albums".

a) Present situation: all of my albums are in the menu-section:
    My Music\Albums

b) Desired situation: I've a lot of soundtracks. When I go to "Albums" I would like the Duet-controller not to show the Soundtracks immediately. Therefore (if possible) I would like to create a subfolder "Soundtracks" in "Albums".

If someone has an answer I would very much like to know!

Kind regards,
    Dennis
    (I'm using Squeezebox server 7.4.1)

Unhappy

Does anyone know how to create a subfolder in Duet's Remote Menu:
    My Music / Albums /...?

I'm pretty sure you can't with the standard software.

If you know SQL and XML you might be able to accomplish something with the third party plugin Custom Browse but even then it's going to be pretty complicated.

It's easier with Custom Browse if you are satisfied with having two sub menus, one for "Soundtracks" and one for "Other" but it sounds like this isn't what you want.

Or alternatively you can also with Custom Browse create a top level "Albums" menu that doesn't contain the soundtracks and a parallel top level menu "Soundtracks" that contains the soundtrack albums.

Please note that Custom Browse is currently not maintained so there is a risk this solution won't work in future Squeezebox Server versions.

If you like to accomplish it without third party plugins the only way is to use the Music Folder menu and arrange the music on the disk as you like the structure to be.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Wouldn't use of the Genre tag do this?

davep

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Wouldn't use of the Genre tag do this?

davep
    Correct, if you only have a few genres the standard Genres menu will probably work pretty good.

Alternatively you can setup multiple genres and have a "Non sountrack" genre that will make it possible to have a structure like:

Code:
    Genres
        Classical
        Non soundtrack
        Pop
        Rock
        Soundtrack
    The only disadvantage with this solution is that it will have an intermediate menu level with artists below each genre, I don't think there is a way to list all albums for a genre, at least not in the Controller interface.
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Question

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Or alternatively you can also with Custom Browse create a top level "Albums" menu that doesn't contain the soundtracks and a parallel top level menu "Soundtracks" that contains the soundtrack albums.

Please note that Custom Browse is currently not maintained so there is a risk this solution won't work in future Squeezebox Server versions.
    >>> I've 2 questions:

1) Using Custom Browse to create a top level "Albums" menu and a top level "Soundtracks" would be a good option.
    But: I've Squeeze Server 7.4.1 installed and I can't get Custom Browse to show up on the Duet's Remote. I've it succesfully installed in the Squeezebox-browser but it won't show up on the Remote?

2) Is there absolutely no way to list all albums for a genre in the Duet's Remote menu ? (instead of the default option: listing all artists for a genre)

Kind regards,
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by gimme_music View Post
    1) Using Custom Browse to create a top level "Albums" menu and a top level "Soundtracks" would be a good option.
    But: I've Squeeze Server 7.4.1 installed and I can't get Custom Browse to show up on the Duet's Remote. I've it succesfully installed in the Squeezebox-browser but it won't show up on the Remote?
    You probably just need to enable them as home menu items in "SBS Settings/Plugins/Custom Browse/Enabled Menus"

Quote Originally Posted by gimme_music View Post
    2) Is there absolutely no way to list all albums for a genre in the Duet's Remote menu ? (instead of the default option: listing all artists for a genre)
    Actually there is, I just missed it. There seems to be an "All Albums" entry below all artists.