Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thumbs up SB Radio - new user impressions

Took advantage of the Amazon deal so got the SB Radio for ú118 (I have got over my mild disappointment about no longer being on the beta programme!). Ordered 26/12 evening, despatched 28/12, arrived 31/12, via Super Saver delivery.

First impressions:
    - Excellent packaging
    - Great feel to the product - nice and weighty
    - Nice screen - like the way that it's just like the Controller in look and feel now
    - Setup was a doddle: wifi fine, straight onto mysb.com (not sure why, as I have a server on 24/7, but...), firmware update, then onto server, another firmware update, sorted.
    - Nice that pressing button 4 brought up Radio 4 straight away, as it is programmed so for my Booms.
    - Separate volume control, thank you!

Second impressions:
    - Screen is not too configurable yet, but the plugins for weather etc will no doubt come
    - Duh backlight! It's dark in my bedroom at night, why make it hard for me to find the buttons?

I had intended to use this in the bedroom as a clock radio, moving the Boom currently there into the TV room to act as a radio. However, the lack of weather and backlit buttons means I have changed my mind, and will have the Radio in the TV room. This may reverse again once the Radio is more configurable and I know the buttons off by heart!

Overall - good start, nice product. It does, however, make both Boom and Controller look expensive!
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    - Screen is not too configurable yet, but the plugins for weather etc will no doubt come
    There is a beta version of a weather applet here:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68386

- Duh backlight! It's dark in my bedroom at night, why make it hard for me to find the buttons?
    It would have been a lot better with backlight but you learn to feel your way to the most important buttons in the dark after a while.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Took advantage of the Amazon deal so got the SB Radio for ú118 (I have got over my mild disappointment about no longer being on the beta programme!). Ordered 26/12 evening, despatched 28/12, arrived 31/12, via Super Saver delivery.

First impressions:
    - Excellent packaging
    - Great feel to the product - nice and weighty
    - Nice screen - like the way that it's just like the Controller in look and feel now
    - Setup was a doddle: wifi fine, straight onto mysb.com (not sure why, as I have a server on 24/7, but...), firmware update, then onto server, another firmware update, sorted.
    - Nice that pressing button 4 brought up Radio 4 straight away, as it is programmed so for my Booms.
    - Separate volume control, thank you!

Second impressions:

I had intended to use this in the bedroom as a clock radio, moving the Boom currently there into the TV room to act as a radio. However, the lack of weather and backlit buttons means I have changed my mind, and will have the Radio in the TV room. This may reverse again once the Radio is more configurable and I know the buttons off by heart!

Overall - good start, nice product. It does, however, make both Boom and Controller look expensive!
    It took me about 2 days to learn the buttons by feel in the dark. No big deal. Most alarm clocks do not have any backlit buttons. You learn by feel.

It does, however, make both Boom and Controller look expensive!
    I actually paid more for my radio than my Boom :-S Boom was ú115 (from Amazon with a discount code) and my Radio was ú120 (ú150 with 20% off from Logitech). I got my radio for Christmas and I really like it. It has been bought for use with a battery (when I can buy one) but is already getting use connected to my server. With Information Screen and Custom Clock Applets I can get it just as I want it, it's great. There are a few niggles, but I knew there would be as I read this forum before buying.

CW
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Office), Radio x4 (Kids, Lounge and Bedroom)
    Server: 7.9.2 for PCP
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music Information Screen | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone6/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm