Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

New Squeezebox Classic screen problem

I received a (Logitech) SB Classic for Christmas to compliment a couple of existing SlimDevices SB3s and a boom. I've been using it for the past day and have just noticed that the extreme left and right edges of the screen are faintly flickering (perhaps a column of 2 or 3 pixels at either end).

My two SB3s are running the same firmware (130) on the same wireless network connected to the same Squeeze Server, but don't have the problem. Presumably this is a hardware problem with the Classic?

Grateful for any thoughts or advice.

cheers
    Chippy

A couple of photos showing the right and left hand edges of the display...

The SB3 is supposed to be identical to the Classic - they just renamed it for marketing purposes.

Since you have an SB3 to compare against, you know what it should look like.

I'd say it's a hardware issue and you should look into arranging for a replacement.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Mine are the same way

So last night when I was going to bed and queing up some music on my bedside SB3, I noticed some flickering pixels on the edge of the display. I took a closer look and thought "oh, that looks familiar!". It looks exactly like what you show in your pictures here.

I also noticed my SB3 in my family room has the same behavior.

I found that I can only see it when the room is dark, otherwise it isn't visible.

Since I see this on 2 different SB3s, I'd say that the problem isn't hardware specific. It's either the nature of the beast, or a FW issue. I'm currently on 7.3.3.

I don't see this on my Booms.

BTW, my SB3s are from the Slim Devices days. If the current "classics" are displaying the problem too, it an issue with the design, not the current "classic" only.
    Last edited by maggior; 2010-01-01 at 19:40.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.

Interesting - thanks for the update.

Yeah - I definitely don't see the issue on my SB3s or Boom, just the new "Classic". I've tried with different amounts of text on the screen to see if that affects the issue (it doesn't). The problem does go away, however, if I use the lowest brightness setting.

As you say, it's not massively noticeable from a distance (it's just different to what I'm used to). I'm in the process of getting a replacement, but to be honest if that one has the same problem I think I'll just live with it.

cheers
    Chippy

It's normal for SB2 SB3 and Classic - they are basically all the same device.

It was filed as bug once I think, but it's never been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    It's normal for SB2 SB3 and Classic - they are basically all the same device.

It was filed as bug once I think, but it's never been resolved.

Thanks for the info - it's interesting to know.

The funny thing is that if this thread never came about, I would never have noticed it.
    Last edited by maggior; 2010-01-05 at 10:34.
    Rich
    ---------

I think it is an inherent feature of the display multiplexing itself, all my SB3s have it.

Years go we used this type of emissive display in a product, it had the same beginning and end of display slightly illuminated line. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Dave