Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alarm clock issues...new ones!

It appears the alarm clock app has major issues, but I'm seeing issues I don't see discussed here. First, my alarms work, but they work 3 hours later than they are scheduled. I have an alarm set for 5:30am during the week, but it goes off at 8:30am. On weekends, it's set for 9am, but it goes off at noon. WTF???? I suppose I could set all my alarms for 3 hours earlier, but why would this even happen? Does it think I live on the west coast???

Also, for the last two weeks or so, my radio won't let me select the sound for the alarm clock. When I select that option, I see the "wait" animation, but the clock never shows me the next screen. It did at one time.

Are these known issues?

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks View Post
    It appears the alarm clock app has major issues, but I'm seeing issues I don't see discussed here. First, my alarms work, but they work 3 hours later than they are scheduled. I have an alarm set for 5:30am during the week, but it goes off at 8:30am. On weekends, it's set for 9am, but it goes off at noon. WTF???? I suppose I could set all my alarms for 3 hours earlier, but why would this even happen? Does it think I live on the west coast???
    That is exactly what it sounds like. Are you using SBS or MySqueezebox.com? If SBS, what OS?

On MySqueezebox.com, check 'account settings' at the top of the page and set your time zone.

Also, for the last two weeks or so, my radio won't let me select the sound for the alarm clock. When I select that option, I see the "wait" animation, but the clock never shows me the next screen. It did at one time.
    Dunno that one, and Radio is at work so can't see what it does for me.

Snarly....thanks for the reply.

I connect to SBS on my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo server, though when I first set the radio up, I was NOT using it, I connected to MySqueezebox.com. About two weeks after I set the radio up, it had connection issues, and told me I needed to upgrade the SBS software on my ReadyNAS...I didn't even think the SqueezeServer was turned on. Once I got the software updated, everything seemed fine, until about four days ago, when the 3 hour thing started.

Huh....maybe it all started at the same time. I looked at the timezone on MySqueezebox.com and it was right...but I just looked at my ReadyNAS and IT WAS WRONG! So the time is coming from the server, not the radio??? Wow...interesting.

Thanks for the pointer....bet my alarm goes off at the right time tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks View Post
    So the time is coming from the server, not the radio??? Wow...interesting.
    Actually the SB Radio does have an internal clock and keeps its own time, but it gets its initial time from the server. You probably didn't notice when you set it up that it didn't ask for the time, it just knew. If the Radio is rebooted it will check the server again for time -- I don't think it checks the server for time otherwise.

radio + server are always synced to the same time.
    Unfortunately not the same timezone, so the radio 'thinks' it has the right time, but indeed shows a different time.
    The alarm times are relative to the servers timezone which leads to those funny effects, when the radio shows 8 o' clock and the alarm rings 'hey I'm the 5 o'clock alarm right in timr, get up, stand up'

See this bug report https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14888
    Unfortunately it is scheduled to a 'Future' release, which currently translates to 'Never'.

I'd be interested if you try to ask your question at the logitech support.
    And if they know such a problem spot on or try wild stuff with you

To have even more fun, just start with 'My alarm doesn't fire at all', not mentioned that its 'just' late.
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2009-12-17 at 04:44.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    radio + server are always synced to the same time.
    Yes and no. Radio syncs to server time, and then runs on its own clock until it resyncs when rebooted. I know because my Radio drifts, losing almost 1 minute per week. To be fair, it's a pre-production beta unit -- I don't know if it is a problem with the final production run. This is in contrast to players like the SB3 that have no clock of their own and therefore *always* show the server time.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Yes and no. Radio syncs to server time, and then runs on its own clock until it resyncs when rebooted. I know because my Radio drifts, losing almost 1 minute per week. To be fair, it's a pre-production beta unit -- I don't know if it is a problem with the final production run. This is in contrast to players like the SB3 that have no clock of their own and therefore *always* show the server time.
    I can confirm that this is still the case with my final production retail purchased unit. The radio, unlike my other SB devices, sets the clock at boot time and from that point onward it will use its own low quality internal clock to keep time. I have seen mine drift as much as three minutes in a week which is wholly unacceptable.

The desired behavior would be that at intervals (probably 24 hours or less) the radio goes back to the server (either local or internet) and resets its clock so that it is always in synch.

I cringe to think what would happen if I let a couple of months go by plugged in without rebooting the radio, as the time would likely be off by 10 minutes or more, which is wholly unacceptable for a device I use to get me up in the morning.

This will be an even more noticeable issue when the battery pack is out as it will essentially make it so that the radio never reboots unless it is done administratively or you remove the batteries.

I'm pretty appalled at the state of bugs and issues with clock/alarm functionality on this device.

I currently have the #1 review for the SB Radio on Amazon.com. I have cautioned readers of my review that a lot hinges on Logitech fixing these bugs, and quickly. I am trying to be magnanimous and let them get through the next month or two with the constantly slipping release of the SB Touch. My patience has limits though and I tend to "tell it like I see it" so if these issues don't get fixed I will report them accordingly to the large Amazon marketplace. Don't take this as a threat Logitech, take it as motivation to get your $200 media player working as well as a $10 alarm clock.
    Last edited by jmpage2; 2009-12-17 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
    The desired behavior would be that at intervals (probably 24 hours or less) the radio goes back to the server (either local or internet) and resets its clock so that it is always in synch.
    I expect this should be easy to implement. It should be possible via cron and ntp, although I'm sure more elegant solutions exist.

I expect this should be easy to implement. It should be possible via cron and ntp, although I'm sure more elegant solutions exist.
    just plain ntp will do, adjusting its polling interval based on how accurate it thinks the clock is.

Would need to use something like pool.ntp.org if internet access was detected.

Not rocket science -- OpenWRT does it in less-powerful WRT54G wireless routers, as did the original software. Even my Netopia 2210 DSL modem knows how to keep its own clock sync-ed to NTP.

It is becoming clear that the "Alarm Clock" marketing bullet got about the same engineering attention as "available in both red and black" did.