Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

ITUNNORM replacing track replaygain automatically?

Short version of question: Is there any movement toward restoring the ability of SC to read and use replaygain track values even when ITUNNORM is in the comment field?

Background: I noticed that SQUEEZECENTER uses the ITUNNORM soundcheck value for track gain on my mp3 files that have replaygain (album and track) AND also have COMMENT ITUNNORM (added by ITUNES). Searching here seems to confirm that this is the correct behavior of the current version of Squeezecenter. It seems odd to me that even when I do NOT have SC using any ITUNES library info, playlist, or anything related to ITUNES, SC still defaults to the ITUNNORM for track gain.

In my case, I use mp3tag to convert the ITUNNORM value to the "album replaygain" value. I do this, so that I have album gain values used on my IPOD (which I prefer in most cases, if I can only use one or the other). However, for a player that does recognize replaygain tags, I really prefer album gain for playing albums and track gain for playing random songs. I can understand why SC developers might have thought it was quite useful to pick up the ITUNNORM value as a track gain number for all those users who have NOT added replaygain tags. This makes sense. However, it would be nice if SC had an option to use either track replaygain or ITUNNORM value at the user's selection. The track replaygain value is still there in the file so this would seem to be not that difficult. One of the things I like about SC is the smart gain option!

All the fixes for this revolve around removing the ITUNNORM tags. This doesn't work for me as I want to use the ITUNNORM tag, but only within itunes/ipod. For all other uses (SC, foobar, etc.) I wish to use the actual replaygain track and album gain. And my 180,000 song database is simply too large to keep duplicate versions for SC and ITUNES.

You might want to vote for Bug #4362.

(Because there are people out there who have converted their RG values to SoundCheck and tagged both so they can use their files on their iPods.)

I can't seem to find any discussion about the end result of this issue. Am I correct that currently, if RG values exist AND ITUNNORM exists, that SB will automatically give preference to the RG values?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase View Post
    You might want to vote for Bug #4362.

(Because there are people out there who have converted their RG values to SoundCheck and tagged both so they can use their files on their iPods.)

MrSinatra
    ask that question in the bug.

i commented in that bug and would like to know that the issue is resolved and that RG tags are given pref over itunes ones and that they are never put together as an aggregate sum.

I've asked the question in the bug. I also agree that it would be nice to see the RG value being applied when playing ala foobar2000.