Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Audiocom mods? Veerrry Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Musical Fidelity X-DAC-V3+X-10 Tube Buffer+X-PSU (full Audiocom Mods)
    Dear Phil,
    I happen to have the v3 X-ponents as well. I have perused the Audiocom site a number of times and was interested in the superclock 4 and was wondering what mods you had installed and what you thought about them.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    buelligan
    Last edited by buelligan; 2009-12-07 at 21:24. Reason: changed ultra to super per Audiocom site

S/PDIF from my Squeezebox Duet player to a Cambridge 840C CDP/DAC. (The 840C has excellent sound and build quality, but as a CD player it doesn't the usuabilty of the el cheapo Sony players I've had. I mainly use it as just a DAC these days.) After that everything is balanced connections: 840C -> BAT 3iX -> Vandersteen high-pass filters -> Bryston 3B-SST -> Vandersteen Quatros.
    Last edited by Daverz; 2009-12-07 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by buelligan View Post
    Dear Phil,
    I happen to have the v3 X-ponents as well. I have perused the Audiocom site a number of times and was interested in the superclock 4 and was wondering what mods you had installed and what you thought about them.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
    buelligan
    Hi - I have the level 2 mods to DAC and to the X-10. Sound quality greatly enhanced to my ears. Doesn't sound "digital".
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

I second the CI Audio gear. I just put my VDA•2 DAC with VAC•1 outboard linear power supply up on Audiogon. The pair cost under $800 and has had some of the best reviews. I'm sorry to have to part with mine, but sometimes you can't control what you bring and where you go. It's come down to bringing one system and I'm choosing the TP over a separate SB3 and DAC + PS.

Here's a fairly comprehensive article on it: http://tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_017.pdf
    Last edited by kphinney; 2009-12-08 at 11:31.
    I like it, you may not. I understand and respect that.

Thumbs up Thanks for reply Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Hi - I have the level 2 mods to DAC and to the X-10. Sound quality greatly enhanced to my ears. Doesn't sound "digital".
    I'm getting excited about the prospect of modding my X-DAC v3. 468GBP (780 USD on our side of the pond) is rather dear but I'd probably do it in stages. Would you recommend the clock first (as Audiocom suggests on their site)?

Thanks,
    buelligan

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buelligan View Post
    I'm getting excited about the prospect of modding my X-DAC v3. 468GBP (780 USD on our side of the pond) is rather dear but I'd probably do it in stages. Would you recommend the clock first (as Audiocom suggests on their site)?

Thanks,
    buelligan
    Yes I would
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

So you folks who use the MF-XDAC-v3. Has the bug where the DAC would still sense a signal when the receiver was off preventing automatic input switching been fixed?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Twisted Pear, Buffalo ESS ES9008 Sabre24, aka Buffalo24.
    /avr300

External DACs

My main setup uses a DEQX / triamped Magnepan 3.6r. The DEQX does all the DSP as well as 3 D/A's per channel.

In another rooms I use a Cambridge DAC Magic for my Quad ESL-57's, and in another room a Musical Fidelity VDAC on Red Rose Music "Classic" speakers. Various tube, hybrid, and class-A solid state amps used- depending.

I also have two DAC/ headphone amp / preamps from Audio_GD- the COMPASS and the FUN, but I have not used these with speakers. Their A/D's are quite good and use all-discrete analog sections (no IC opamps) as well as fantastic power supplies. They might be excellent as DAC/pre's but I've just never tried them. Build quality on the Audio_GD line is fantastic. I'll get around to it some day. The Audio_GD gear is very reasonably priced, too.
    Last edited by milosz; 2010-07-10 at 15:33. Reason: add'l info

Cambridge Audio DACMagic.