Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC

from SB3 using optical link, just a touch warmer sounding than from CD player (Sony DVP-S9000ES) playback of same tune but in WAV format. I slightly prefer the 96k vs 192k (a touch softer focus) resampling rate setting (I suspect from resampling errors, i.e double vs quadruple)

RWA SB3 BNC to Bryston BDA-1 to Creek OBH-12 passive remote to W4S SX-500 monoblocks.
    Last edited by konut; 2010-07-10 at 16:11. Reason: Amp change.

dac

Hi, I just got a used sb and hooked up my Benchmark DAC one to my rig
    which is Rega transport/moon p-5/w-5 amps and Vandersteen model 5 with nordost
    red dawn cables. I tried alot of dacs and unless you spend over 2500 you will
    have a hard time beating this little thing. I had a 500 $ cable and a 30$ canare cable and it made no diff, that never ever happened before. Now I need to figure out the tech tricks to get this comp dac combo running to max performance. All help is welcome.

Andrew

Headphone rig: PS Audio DL-III

Living room rig: Channel Island Audio VDA-2/VAC-1

I love both DAC's.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I use a Benchmark DAC/PRE as both DAC and preamp for my system.
    Just took a look at the DAC1/PRE out of curiosity. As far as I can tell, the DAC/PRE does not have remote control. It's marketed as a digital preamp - how on earth can you sell a preamp in the 21st century without RC?
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

My SB3 is paired with MHDT Havana and it sounds much greater and better than the internal DAC. Awaiting for the HiFi Tuning Fuse and a WE JW 2C51/396A tube to enhance greater listening experience.
    2TB Synology 209+II ~ SlimDevices SqueezeBox Classic ~ Zu ASH 75Ω Digital Coaxial ~ MHDT Labs Havana ~ VdH D102 Hybrid MKIII ~ WooAudio 6 SE(M) ~ Stefan AudioArts Equinox Noir ~Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Just took a look at the DAC1/PRE out of curiosity. As far as I can tell, the DAC/PRE does not have remote control. It's marketed as a digital preamp - how on earth can you sell a preamp in the 21st century without RC?
    The new "HDR" model Benchmark DAC/PRE has remote control. Of course it came out about 3 months AFTER I bought the non-remote DAC/PRE...GRRRRR

I need the exercise anyway.

- Transport: Squeezebox Touch/Channel Island Audio PS
    - DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    - Linestage: Placette Passive
    - Power Amplifier: Parasound HCA-1500A
    - Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor

Lyngdorf TDAI2200 with RoomPerfect does the 'DAC' bit, fed by a Duet. It's pretty minimal, and it sounds great.

Until recently, I was using:

Transporter digital output connected to the digital input of my Mark Levinson 390S (but connecting directly to the pre-amp for higher resolution files); and

Squeezebox Receiver connected to the digital input of my 5103 (in a different system).

However, I have now purchased a Linn Akurate DS, and have moved the Transporter to the second system, and am now using its own DAC, connecting it to the line input of the 5103.

My impressions have been that, for 44.1kHz / 16-bit files, the ML DAC is somewhat superior, but that the Transporter's own is materially better than the 5103's.

(The ADS does not have a digital output, but in any of the comparisons I have done, it is significantly better than any of the other combinations I have tried in my main system.)

You sell them to...

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    the "purists"!
    Seriously though, the new Benchmark w/ RC is not bad, it has a motorised Alps analog pot but at $300 premium.