Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Squeezebox Duet - Advise Please! - New Customer

I purchased the Squeezebox Duet from Amazon tonight and based on the reviews it had 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few complaints on Amazon but the general consensus was the product worked but required some initial setup time. I tend to research my products thoroughly and do admit the Squeezebox Duet was an impulse buy while watching Sunday football. The price attracted me in and the name Logitech meant they would stand behind the product. I am aware that Logitech had acquired the technology from a previous company.
    After making the purchase I was excited to learn more about the functionality and features the product has to offer prior to arriving. I then discovered this forum and started to read about the complaints:
    • Software upgrade issues
    • Wireless networking issues
    • Brightness on remote
    • Cannot connect to mymusic
    I personally would be using the Squeezebox Duet for Napster and Pandora. My product will be arriving in 4 days and I am seriously thinking about not even opening the box and returning it to Amazon and purchasing a SONOS ZP90 w/CR200.
    Are there any users out there who are enjoying the Squeezebox Duet?
    Any advice from the forum would be helpful……..
    FYI….I have strong technical background and understand networking.
    Thanks,
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by srgriff9 View Post
    I purchased the Squeezebox Duet from Amazon tonight and based on the reviews it had 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few complaints on Amazon but the general consensus was the product worked but required some initial setup time. I tend to research my products thoroughly and do admit the Squeezebox Duet was an impulse buy while watching Sunday football. The price attracted me in and the name Logitech meant they would stand behind the product. I am aware that Logitech had acquired the technology from a previous company.
    After making the purchase I was excited to learn more about the functionality and features the product has to offer prior to arriving. I then discovered this forum and started to read about the complaints:
    • Software upgrade issues
    • Wireless networking issues
    • Brightness on remote
    • Cannot connect to mymusic
    I personally would be using the Squeezebox Duet for Napster and Pandora. My product will be arriving in 4 days and I am seriously thinking about not even opening the box and returning it to Amazon and purchasing a SONOS ZP90 w/CR200.
    Any advice from the forum would be helpful……..
    FYI….I have strong technical background and understand networking.
    Thanks,
    SG
    Been enjoying it now for 5 months. I use it mainly for Pandora and Sirius.

Most problems reported here appear to relate to wireless network of the user. I have my duet receiver wired (not wireless) to my network, which likely is the reason I have no problems.

Secondly, others have problems if they do not keep a local computer on all the time to run the software. I do -- hence no problems.

You'll be fine if you can go wired, or if you have a good wireless network. Also, if you can, keep a computer running 24/7 with the software.

Recap to avoid most problems:

1. run duet receiver wired (if possible).

2. Run a computer 24/7 that has the squeezebox server software running on it.
    Last edited by eap; 2009-11-29 at 20:30.

If you do have a PC that you keep on all the time and want to play local music files goto www.mysqueezebox.com and download Squeezebox Server. It's free to use even if you don't have a squeezebox. That should get you familiar with it.

... and don't forget about SoftSqueeze Player. It's like virtual Squeezebox player. You could have it running on one computer and control it on Squeezecenter server side from the other.

Napstar

I use the Duet almost entirely for Napster (some internet Radio too). I have a wired and a wireless receiver both of which work really well and I have had few issues.

I would suggest getting it out of the box, getting it running and seeing how you go. You will find people on here very helpful. You will also only see the bad points on these forums - those who are happy are generally not posting. As you are technically literate you should be able to get things running and you will understand the issues when they arise.

BTW. I don't run squeezecenter on any PC as I don't have one that is on 24/7. I never have any issues related to this.

Thumbs up Green for me.

Despite the extended "Mysqueezebox.com" outage last weekend ( see that forum),
    I still think the Duet is more bang for the buck than anything else out there.
    Both the Duet and SB3 ( Classic ) performed as I expected for almost 2 years now.
    Browsing this forum you will see indeed many issues mostly due to the very different and sometimes complex PC/Network environment clients want to integrate Squeezeboxes into and there is nothing wrong in doing that by trial and error + a little help from the friends.
    Any forum is always biased towards what does not work - not many postings when everything is OK.
    The whole concept is still a winner in my view ( NO - I am not a logitech employee or stockholder).

I'm a Duet owner for some 3 months now, and have way too many painful and frustrating problems with it. This is balanced out by periods of superb musical enjoyment when everything is working properly!

I do use the receiver in wired mode, but I dont keep my PC running 24/7 (or the Squeezebox, everything gets powered on in the evenings/weekends only).

Overall I am sticking with the Duet a bit longer, I have gradually learned certain do's and dont's (including a new one today - turn on your PC - leave for few minutes, then turn on squeezebox - to avoid connectivity issues), and am hoping the next lot of software updates are going to resolve a lot of these issue.

But I am dissapointed overall, the number of problems has been far far greater than I would have expected. Dont expect an easy ride if you buy one of these, it will take time to bed it in.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've had my Duet for over a year, use it wireless without my PC being on and I love it. The times it hangs up I can usually just power it off and on and it once again finds the network. If that doesn't work, then I reboot the router and the receiver as well. But my wife and daughter use it to listen to online services, too, and they wouldn't have stuck with it if they had issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by srgriff9 View Post
    I have several different Squeezebox models, and enjoy the Duet very much. I've had it for a little over 2 years. Yes, there are a lot of negative comments here. That's because people tend to post here when they have a problem to solve (or sometimes just to vent), and not to say "it's all working fine for me..." It does have its flaws, and depending on your environment those flaws could be unnoticeable or they could be dealbreakers. Most of the complaints are about wifi connectivity with the SB Controller, and very often the problem is with the user's wifi network.

The SB Controller is not as foolproof as other SB models, but it's also more fun when it works. It almost always works for me, and when it doesn't all it usually needs is to be rebooted.
    Audio system in transition while still relocating from halfway around the world.
    Man-cave: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: SB Radio
    LMS 8.0 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (max2play), controlled using SB Controller, iPeng and Squeezepad

I have had 2 for 11 months with few problems.
    I like them well enough I bought another receiver and a Boom.
    My wife even likes them.
    Before I set them up I made a couple of changes to my network.
    I got rid of any 802.11b wireless gear and run only g or N.
    I checked the wireless 'neighborhood' and adjusted channels to avoid other networks.
    YMMV

Mark.
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Edifier S1000DB
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 6.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
    Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
    SqueezeAmp 3 ( speakers to be determined )
    HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.9.3