Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

About to buy, but a couple of questions

First post, and it's a bit drawn out, so apologies for that.

Definitely sold on the Squeezebox, and about to order my first one, however just want to clear a few things up in my mind, so looking for a few pointers.

I buy all my music on vinyl (I know ľ Luddite. There are a few hundred CDs in the house, mainly from a few years ago when for a short time I sold my soul to the devil, plus my girlfriend's 'music'), so as far as I can see I have two avenues to being able to listen to 'my music'. I either digitize everything I want to listen to and store it on mp3tunes, or I save myself the time and effort and pay for a subscription to Napster or Spotify, UK based so unfortunately think these are my only options.

I only have a laptop and so was hoping to use mySqueezebox.com rather than buy some more hardware to run all day.

I want to be able to listen to different music in different rooms, i.e. I want to be able to listen to the latest Sonic Youth album in the kitchen without having to be subjected to some Coldplay nonsense that my girlfriend is listening to in the sitting room.

I've already tested that I can achieve this using mp3tunes and a couple of copies of SoftSqueeze. As an aside, great piece of software - not often you get to try out a piece of hardware virtually before buying.
    Also tried out iPeng on my iPhone ľ very nice and saves having to buy a controller.

As far as I can see, I would have to run my own server to be able to access Spotify.
    Napster support is built in to mySqueezebox.com

Would I be able to listen to different tracks in different rooms with either of these solutions?

Being able to access the music when outside the house, i.e. at work, would be nice. Again would I be able to listen to different stuff there while my girlfriend is traumatizing my daughter with middle of the road nonsense ľ don't get me started!

Either way, I'll still be buying my new stuff on vinyl so not interested in having mp3s to download.

Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers,

Keith.

No problem playing different audio on each Squeeze player (Touch, Radio, Boom, Classic, Receiver, Controller, SqueezePlay) That's the default behavior. You can also choose to synchronize them if you'd like.

US based, haven't played with Spotify, so I've no guidance there.
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 7.9 on Raspberry Pi3 w/200GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer

If you used a vortex box or mac mini (anything linux/mac based) as a nice quiet low power server for squeezebox server you could use softsqueeze's built-in ssh tunnel support allow you to listen to your music remotely.

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/ssh.html

Another advantage to having a mac mini around is you could have it hooked up to the TV to play back "non-music"

Thanks for the feedback.
    So am I right in saying that with a Napster subscription and only mySqueezebox.com (i.e. no additional hardware) I could listen to as many different tracks concurrently as I have Squeezeboxes?
    Sounds like a winner to me.

If not, then I think its the vortexbox for me.
    They look rather nice.
    I'm fine with Linux etc, but really want something simple for other members of the family who just (quite rightly) want something that plays the music they want in the room that they want without having to boot things up etc.

Cheers,

Keith

With VortexBox you never see Linux. VortexBox has a web interface. You just insert your CDs and they show up on your SqueezeBox a bit later. You can listen to different music on each squeezebox or link them. As for all your vinyl you could rip all that to FLAC (losless) and put the files on the VortexBox for playback over your SqueezeBox.
    rip, tag, get cover artů All you do is insert the CD!
    http://vortexbox.org

agillis
    Lead Developer VortexBox

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by keif View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    So am I right in saying that with a Napster subscription and only mySqueezebox.com (i.e. no additional hardware) I could listen to as many different tracks concurrently as I have Squeezeboxes?
    Sounds like a winner to me.

If not, then I think its the vortexbox for me.
    They look rather nice.
    I'm fine with Linux etc, but really want something simple for other members of the family who just (quite rightly) want something that plays the music they want in the room that they want without having to boot things up etc.

Cheers,

Keith
    Vortexbox software is free. You can run it on an "old" pc. It only costs when you buy their hardware.