Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A couple of squeezebox radio questions

Having a squeezebox in my living room, and loving it - I am thinking of purchasing one of these from Amazon here in the UK (unfortunately we have to buy "blind" as no-one stocks squeezebox on the high street).

My two questions are :

1) Is there a sleep function on it? ie can I program it t play a "gentle songs" playlists for, say, two hours before turning off?

2) Can I wake to my choice of radio or playlists?

3) Is the radio easy to use? I really can't get the hang of using the radio on my squeezebox in the living room

4) Will it work with iPeng?

Thanks in advance - I am ready to order, just need the confirmation on the above.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post
    Having a squeezebox in my living room, and loving it - I am thinking of purchasing one of these from Amazon here in the UK (unfortunately we have to buy "blind" as no-one stocks squeezebox on the high street).

My two questions are :

1) Is there a sleep function on it? ie can I program it t play a "gentle songs" playlists for, say, two hours before turning off?

2) Can I wake to my choice of radio or playlists?

3) Is the radio easy to use? I really can't get the hang of using the radio on my squeezebox in the living room

4) Will it work with iPeng?

Thanks in advance - I am ready to order, just need the confirmation on the above.

Cheers!
    Yes, to all of the above.

Be aware that there's no "quick" way to put the radio into snooze. Currently you must either navigate into the snooze menu through the home button on the radio or you can use iPeng to put it into Snooze mode.

Also be aware that you can't assign a playlist to a preset button, you must initially make the playlist a favorite from the web interface and then you can assign a favorite to the preset button on the front of the radio.

On the whole the radio is a really nifty product, with some room for improvement.

I never use snooze at all for me. So sounds like this is what I want.

Cheers

I think jmpage2 may have been referring to Sleep when he said Snooze...but I might be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    I think jmpage2 may have been referring to Sleep when he said Snooze...but I might be wrong

He definitely was. The same mistake made by someone else in another thread. Snooze is the act of turning off the alarm for a short period of time, say 9 minutes.

The snooze option, according to past information (maybe even the manual?) appears on the screen during an alarm event.

Sleep on the other hand is an option to turn on/play a device for a specific amount of time and have it turn itself off afterwards. Usually 59 minutes or an hour. Some products, like some TVs I've used, provide a sleep in 30 minute increments so you can go from 30 minutes up to a few hours. On the Radio a Sleep option requires going through the menu system (info from the other thread incorrectly about "snooze")

Quote Originally Posted by radish View Post
    Yes, I meant to say SLEEP instead of snooze!

daggnabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post
    1) Is there a sleep function on it? ie can I program it to play a "gentle songs" playlists for, say, two hours before turning off?
    If you run Squeezebox Server on a PC in your home, you can use my KidsPlay plugin to make any of the 6 numbered buttons start something like that. For example, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69864. You can program any simple sequence of commands, for instance you could add a command to ensure the songs play in random order, or add a command to ensure all the other Squeezeboxes (you won't settle for just one!) turn off, etc. -- all when you press a single button.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

sorry for the stupid question.

I dont really understand programming and plugins and stuff. Never got one to work so just tend to ignore them.

I can access a sleep mode, it is just a little fiddly is that correct? I have already ordered so need to cancel quickly if there is no sleep mode.

Thanks - I do appreciate the help.

You can add "Sleep" to the main menu, otherwise you have to dig into the settings menu. But it is there either way.

I wonder if Logitech realise what an asset this forum is to them????

Thanks everyone - purchase made.