Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips to speed up squeezecenter formerly known as Squeezecenter formerly known as sli.

I have been putting up with it for the last few months, but it getting more and more a serious problem (and huge frustration).
    I run slimsqueezeboxservercenter 7.4.1 on the following hardware:

CPU:
    * Model VIA Esther processor 1500MHz
    * Speed 1.5 GHz
    Memory:
    * 1 GB
    Harddisk with music:
    * 750 GB Sata disk with 32 mb cache.
    * Debian

Library size:
    * 22100 songs. (give or take a few hundred)
    * 70% FLAC
    * 30% MP3.

Interface:
    * Default skin

Squeezeboxes:
    2x Squeezebox Classic (squeezebox3)

The interface of the squeezebox itself is fast enough and I really do like it.

The problem is the webinterface and rescanning the db.
    * It is _dog_ slow it takes ages to select and album and play it.
    * If in random song mode, everytime you move to the next song it can take up to 30 seconds to have the playlist correct again. in this 30 seconds it is completely useless as clicking on a song in the playlist will let you hear something different then is displayed. This is frustrating.
    * Database scan is dog slow, takes around 50 minutes. Previous software I used did it in a few minutes.
    * etc.

I tried using slimsqueezeboxservercenter on my desktop pc. (slightly bit more powerful (E8400 + 8 gig ram))
    It decreases the DB scan (it has access to the music on the above machine via NFS) around 5 times (45 minutes to around 8). However the webinterface is better, but still way to slow to be usable.

The slowness also seems to be noticeable in iPeng, especially on searches.

What can I do to make this dog-slow thing faster?
    (as I am on the edge of selling this squeezebox, not because of the box, but because of the center.)

Question

Which browser are you using?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

firefox 3.5 on a fast machine. (E8400, 8 gig ram)
    opera 10 beta on same machine
    chromium on same machine
    midori (webkit based browser)
    Safari 4 on mac mini.

Search the forums for some MySQL optimizations, which mostly just give more memory to the MySQL server.

Turning off the display of artists in the web interface (Settings > Interface > Show Artist with Albums) can speed up the generation of some pages in the web ui.

But ultimately, you may just need a faster server. Squeezebox Server is known to be a dog, but is tolerable on quicker servers.

I have already tried the mysql optimization. It does improve search a little. But the basic interface stays slow.

The server is not that slow. I only need the frontend the moment I have my main pc on (that is a lot faster) I know the gui is still sluggish there, but better.
    Can I run the webgui on another pc?

[QUOTE=qball;480400]
    Can I run the webgui on another pc?
    Do you mean the web server? No, it's built into the rest of the server.

For kicks, you might try installing and running the server on the other machine, just to see what's possible. You don't need to have the music files attached to the machine if you can share the music folder across the network.

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
    I tried using slimsqueezeboxservercenter on my desktop pc. (slightly bit more powerful (E8400 + 8 gig ram))
    It decreases the DB scan (it has access to the music on the above machine via NFS) around 5 times (45 minutes to around 8). However the webinterface is better, but still way to slow to be usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    For kicks, you might try installing and running the server on the other machine, just to see what's possible. You don't need to have the music files attached to the machine if you can share the music folder across the network.
    As I said in the first post I did this.
    Machine spec is:
    Ubuntu 64 bit

CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Memory:
    8 GB memory.

Music accessed via NFS on Gigabit network.

The DB scan results are a lot faster, (45 minutes reduced to 8-10 minutes).
    The Gui is noticeable faster, but still not what I would call usable.

Also larger playlists (a few thousand songs) slows things down, adding say 10.000 items gives you enough time to get coffee.

I might be spoiled with my previous MPD + GMPC setup that handled playlist of 500.000 items just fine, on noticeable slower hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
    As I said in the first post I did this.
    Sorry, missed that. Loading very large playlists has always been slow. I doubt that it's any slower in the web interface than in the player interface, but I never tried. I don't have any playlists with more than 50 tracks.

I don't know what else you can do. Keep the items per page relatively low. If you change it from 50 to 100 or somesuch it will be slower. I see times of about 3-4.5 seconds to generate pages with artwork when browsing albums in the web interface. Borderline tolerable, certainly not good by any stretch. You can't go bouncing from one page to another without some frustration. Server is a P4/3GHz/2GB/Win2k3 Server, 25k FLAC tracks, with a full scan taking about 26 minutes.

You can try Moose as a native Windows frontend for controlling and providing information about units connected to Logitech's Squeezebox Server.
    It does not resolve the slow scanning of Squeezebox Server but you will have a nice program that is a thousand times faster than the web-interface.
    Moose uses CLI commands to talk to the server and I cannot understand why Logitech still uses webtechniques which they cannot make faster.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...light=announce
    http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/
    Squeezebox: 2x Touch + 2x Radio
    squeezelite-1.9.9.1372: 2x
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists v2.10.247;Spicefly SugarCube v5.22; Trackstat v3.3.602
    NAS: QNAP TS-253D (2.00GHz; 4GB); firmware 4.5.3; QLogitechMediaserver 2.21.00 (Qnapclubstore): LogitechMediaServer 8.2.0
    Tagging: MusicBrainz Picard 2.6.2 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS); Puddletag 1.2.0 (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS)
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Sorry, missed that. Loading very large playlists has always been slow. I doubt that it's any slower in the web interface than in the player interface, but I never tried. I don't have any playlists with more than 50 tracks.

I don't know what else you can do. Keep the items per page relatively low. If you change it from 50 to 100 or somesuch it will be slower. I see times of about 3-4.5 seconds to generate pages with artwork when browsing albums in the web interface. Borderline tolerable, certainly not good by any stretch. You can't go bouncing from one page to another without some frustration. Server is a P4/3GHz/2GB/Win2k3 Server, 25k FLAC tracks, with a full scan taking about 26 minutes.
    No adding lot of items from SB is slow too.
    The slow web-performance is a real put down for my listen to experience, I _know_ it is not needed as I have seen software that managed todo this just fine.

Is there a good gui frontend (and I do not mean squeezeplay as that is very buggy on linux) for linux?
    I started writing my own, but I just do not have the time for it. (I kind of stuck to a small tray applet)