Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

The new Squeezeplay

So I just upgraded to 7.4 on the server side, and (apparently) had to upgrade Squeezeplay as well for it to work properly with the server. And I have a few questions about the new interface.

I used to be able to access the "now playing" screen by pressing 'h' twice (once to go to the root menu, once more for "now playing"). Now this no longer works. I have to press 'h' to go to the root menu, then reach for the mouse and click a button in the top right corner. Why?

And I used to be able to add music to the current playlist by pressing 'a' when browsing. Now the 'a' key brings up a menu. So I have to press 'a' and then reach for the mouse and choose to add the music from a menu item. Awkward! Why not stick to the old 'a' to add and 'A' to play next? (The latter still works directly for some reason!)

Now, I always find it annoying when new versions of software changes up shortcuts and the GUI. It takes a bit of time to get used to, but usually the annoyance passes quickly and I'm often better off with the changes. But this time it appears that Squeezeplay has gone from an interface that could be navigated by keyboard only to an interface that requires both keyboard and mouse. Why??? There's no way this isn't going to be slower to work with. The old Squeezeplay was the fastest way to access the Squeezebox system, in my opinion. Faster than the web interface and MUCH faster than the Duet Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaks View Post
    But this time it appears that Squeezeplay has gone from an interface that could be navigated by keyboard only to an interface that requires both keyboard and mouse.
    Don't you have arrow keys on your keyboard?
    It's all you need to get rid of the mouse...

Quote Originally Posted by sebp View Post
    Don't you have arrow keys on your keyboard?
    It's all you need to get rid of the mouse...
    Arrow keys don't work, which is the real problem!

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

The new Squeezeplay

> Arrow keys don't work, which is the real problem!

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14484
    turn off numlock for now.

-k

Quote Originally Posted by kdf View Post
    > Arrow keys don't work, which is the real problem!

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14484
    turn off numlock for now.

-k
    Thanks!!!

Ok, I see it's possible to navigate the menu with the arrow keys.

There are still big usability issues with the new SqueezePlay:

It's impossible to see which menu item is selected. I'm moving up and down with the arrow keys, but blindly!

It's impossible to go to the current playlist using the keyboard. h + h used to work with the old SqueezePlay, but doesn't anymore.

It's impossible (as far as I can tell) to see more info on the tracks. Pressing the right arrow on a track in any context (as far as I can tell) plays that track (this action already has the key 'x' assign to it). So there's no way to access the track info page.

Try pressing "a" to get more info on a track. It's worth going through all the keys ton the keyboard to find out what does what.

Keith
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, can't spare enough hours today for that 5 min job on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by KMorgan View Post
    Try pressing "a" to get more info on a track. It's worth going through all the keys ton the keyboard to find out what does what.

Keith
    Right, that gives the pop up menu. Thanks. That works, except that I cannot see which menu item is selected when I move up and down. Are you having the same problem?

In the main menu system, there's a grey "cursor" over the selected menu item. In the pop up menu provided by the 'a' key press, it's just black over black. If I move down enough, the menu scrolls, but I still have to make an educated guess which item is selected when I press enter (I can see the white text, though).