Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I officially declare my HATE for 7.4...

...and it was a major embarrassment for the product.

My main SB3 now disappeared. It is not playing music even though it claims it is. But is is not showing up on SBS or my mySB.com. It's in limbo.

This is the worst SB showing ever. It never ever behaved this weirdly before. With a *cough* stable release.

Damn this. I am going back to 7.3.

And I am stating, as a SB customer since 2005, that I am not buying more squeeze products. My purchase plans are on total hold.

This was utterly embarrassing.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

For the record, this was my only time ever being so pissed off I knocked the SB3 to the wall with no regard as to whether it would ever work again. When it started playing again after I just powered it down I was disgusted with the fact that until that point of time it had claimed to be active and playing, and wasting my time troubleshooting every aspect of my main audio system making me fear something had blown a fuse. I really thought my $25k chain was broken when in fact this was uhm "just a case of 7.4 random behavior".
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub

And in case anyone thinks I am an irrational hater, I keep track of the fact that exactly 49 households I know got SB products based on my endorsement. And they may in turn have converted other people. So I am NOT the enemy. I just resent the fact for the first time EVER I was made to look like a total ass trying to entertain out of my main audio system, the "worship center".
    ...pablo

pski

Thank you for posting so many messages to yourself..

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I had to power off the SB3 and power it back up.

Utterly and totally unacceptable.

I have spent a lot of money of SB products, and I am now going to plan a migration strategy to another product.

This is totally *^%$$! ridiculous. This is NOT the way to my audio future, to have my main audio worship center disappear randomly until I reboot the system by powering it off and then up, while all the while it is claiming to be playing music.
    Thank you for your posting so many messages to yourself..

Over and out. Perhaps you will acquire a measure of technical ability.

P

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Thank you for your posting so many messages to yourself..

Over and out. Perhaps you will acquire a measure of technical ability.

P
    You are a fool. I have been a customer for years and have configured more boxes than you ever have on both Windows and Linux.

I can live with the fact uncritical SB groupies don't like my outburst. The simple fact is that it had never ever happened to me I could not play music on an SB3 while it was displaying it did.

It was only when I ran up upstairs to check the server that I saw the SB3 had disappeared from SBS and mySB.com. Very odd to see a SB claim it is playing music in front of your face...

Something is very broken in the guts of 7.4 for this to happen.
    ...pablo

I officially declare my HATE for 7.4...

pablolie wrote:
    > Something is very broken in the guts of 7.4 for this to happen.

I had a lot of problems with my Debian server during the upgrade from
    7.3 to 7.4, but since I am a beta tester, I could deal with it. But even
    with that, I was a bit surprised at the transfer. I expect that for more
    mainstream server OS, i.e. Winders, it was a lot cleaner.

I entered bugzilla entries, and most of it got fixed. I'm working fine
    now with all my SqueezeBoxen.

The Radio requires 7.4, but if you don't have one, I would recommend
    waiting a bit for things to settle down.

Until then, I understand.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

formerly known as Fletch
    Please maintain a proper amount of respect and decorum. If you are having problems and want to ask other users for help, that's what the forums are here for. Even if you just want to vent about something that doesn't seem to be working for you, that's fine.

Personal attacks however will lead to closed threads and banned users. Thanks for your understanding and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    The Radio requires 7.4, but if you don't have one, I would recommend waiting a bit for things to settle down.
    As a long time SB3 user I've learned the hard way to stay away from upgrades until they've had a good few months in the field. When it comes to enjoying your music there is no point in being an early adopter because it too often ends in the kind of frustration expressed in this thread. Even then, I test any upgrade using a separate instance of SBS before deploying it to my main music server. It shouldn't be this way with official releases, but unfortunately it is. Pablo, you have my sympathy too.

I am sorry I had to vent. I had to. What I experienced was shockingly frustrating. In many years, and with all the devices I have, I had never ever seen an SB3 claim it was playing music when in fact the SBS didn't even know it was present or active. Anyone's troubleshooting activity is going to be around the amplifier and DA if the SB3 claims it is playing music, at least for a while until finally it slowly dawns on one there is something very odd happening, and that the SB3 maybe is acting in a way it hadn't in nearly 4 years of ownership. And it is especially unfortunate given the fact that the SB3 is my most trusted playing device, and the one I expected to be the most stable. 7.4.0 has changed that.

These forums are for people to both praise (which I have done a lot in the past) and to vent (which I have done today).

There is no right or wrong way of using them, and no one can tell others what to write or not write.

But I do not like the fact that now I feel I can not rely on the SB3s to reliably play music the way it always have. It shocks me because it is no the SB universe I have always known. The SB3s have always been stable (as have been the Booms), occasional hickups excepted, but never claiming they play music when they are not even registered with the SBS.

And for someone to react telling me it was lack of technical proficiency on my part was unconditional SB groupiness and Logitech brown-nosing at its worst.

I am not happy that I have to complain and vent. But I think the development team needs to hear, loud and clear, that a long time supporter of the product line is, for the first time, ready to look for an alternative after the 7.4 experience and the fact that the SB3 has been treated poorly; because the one thing I can not accept is that my enjoyment of listening to music is ruined. The fancy pics and user interfaces and colors and what not... sure, it is nice. But never ever *ever* compromise the products' ability to play music. I have never bought HP products again after I was sourly disappointed by the way they started to discontinue driver support for 2 year old premium priced products, and if Logitech is going to stop supporting older products they should at least give customers the heads up and tell us to not upgrade unless we upgrade allmthe devices we own. In which case I will take a wider look at the market again. It is only fair.

And with this message I have ranted sufficiently. I have picked up the SB3 from the floor and am happy it didn't break.

And now I will observe,and next time know that I can not trust the SB3's display when it claims to be playing music. Sadly.

Rant over.
    Last edited by pablolie; 2009-10-17 at 22:53.
    ...pablo

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I am sorry I had to vent. I had to. What I experienced was shockingly frustrating. In many years, and with all the devices I have, I had never ever seen an SB3 claim it was playing music when in fact the SBS didn't even know it was present or active.
    Actually, I have seen that behavior many times going back to 6.3.

Reseting the box and/or Xilinx has fixed it.

It's hardly new to 7.4, but I've never been able to make it fail in a reproducable way.

There are numerous threads here about such failures, dating back years.. I don't think anyone else has been able to reproduce it on demand.

Being effectively a random occurence makes it a very hard bug to fix which is why it has been around for years.