Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

A couple of bugbears..

I'm using my radio as a bedside alarm clock and it works great.

However I have a couple of issues with it

Firstly, when the alarm goes off the display changes from showing the big time to showing the time in a tiny font along with text telling me I can either turn it off or snooze it. This means that in my half-alseep state I can't just glance at the radio to find out what time it is, especially without my glasses on. What is needed is a setting that keeps the clock BIG when the alarm activates. I know my alarm has gone off, and I know I can turn it off, so I don't need the screen to tell me that every morning.

And secondly it would be great to have a screensaver that shows the clock BIG but also has 2 lines of text to show Now Playing information. There is plenty of room on the screen to do this but currently I can either have the time displayed or I can have the album art displayed (with a microscopic clock)

Both of the above would greatly enhance the functionality of the radio as a clock radio alarm clock thingy
    Squeezebox Boom - dining room
    Squeezebox Radio - bedroom
    Squeezeplay on a Joggler - kitchen

I think Erland's custom clock applet is what you need as a screensaver ...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=custom+clock

Mitch
    2 * SB3, 1 * Boom, 2 * Radio and 1 * Touch
    controlled by IR, SBC [and iPeng on iPhone]
    7.5.4 r32171 on WHS on HP MediaSmart (EX470) upgraded to 2G RAM
    http://www.last.fm/user/digimich

Awesome. Looks perfect for my 2nd issue, thanks.

Still won't solve my first issue when the alarm goes off though
    Last edited by furtive; 2009-10-13 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMitch View Post
    I think Erland's custom clock applet is what you need as a screensaver ...
    Perhaps not until he figures out how to make it work as a When Alarm Playing screensaver: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68551
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    Firstly, when the alarm goes off the display changes from showing the big time to showing the time in a tiny font along with text telling me I can either turn it off or snooze it. This means that in my half-alseep state I can't just glance at the radio to find out what time it is, especially without my glasses on. What is needed is a setting that keeps the clock BIG when the alarm activates. I know my alarm has gone off, and I know I can turn it off, so I don't need the screen to tell me that every morning.
    I think this is captured in my enhancement request: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13602

Your second point is probably covered by a third-party applet - there's a couple of alternative screensavers. However, I don't think they can be set as an Alarm Screensaver currently.

Classic Squeezebox players have an Alarm Screensaver mode, so you can choose a different display. My preference would be for a Now Playing screen, displaying the current time, or an alternative screensaver, which displays the now playing info.

Besides 3rd party screensavers and plugins don't work if the Radio is not connected to a SBS. There should be a solution when connected to MySqueezebox.com.

I must be going mad. I can't see the Custom Clock plugin anywhere. It's not listed in the 3rd party plugins, and I've added Erlands plugin repository and his beta one, and I still can't see it.

So where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
    Besides 3rd party screensavers and plugins don't work if the Radio is not connected to a SBS. There should be a solution when connected to MySqueezebox.com.
    3rd party screensavers for the new gear -- Controller, Radio, Touch -- *do* work when connected to MySB; that's an advantage of the SqueezePlay/SqueezeOS platform. But the screen you see on Radio when an alarm goes off is not a screensaver. Currently there seems to be no way for a 3rd party applet to act as an alarm screensaver on Radio. Hopefully this will improve, just as the extensibility of the server-side logic for old players improved over the years.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    I must be going mad. I can't see the Custom Clock plugin anywhere. It's not listed in the 3rd party plugins, and I've added Erlands plugin repository and his beta one, and I still can't see it.

So where is it?
    You install in from the interface on the device, goto "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer".
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )