Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah, sure. Who would want to see the time on an alarm clock if you can see a cover instead?

Logitech Harmony Employee Keymaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
    Yeah, sure. Who would want to see the time on an alarm clock if you can see a cover instead?
    I use it as an alarm clock and am -4.00 in each eye...empathy here...

I just like having the art go fullscreen on the Now Playing screen during the day is all...and the more the better ...

Keep in mind that you can set the "Now Playing" screensaver to be any of the available clocks, not necessarily album art anyhow (although I would agree that the alarm time should be displayed, not just the fact that it's set)

Three cheers for anyone who manages to get all that info into a lil' LCD screen

I'm hoping the new firmware will increase the actual screen size by two inches. Now that would be impressive!
    4 Squeezebox Radios
    2 Squeezebox Receivers
    1 Squeezebox Boom
    1 Squeezebox Classic
    1 Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro w/ Squeeze Commander
    2 Samsung Galaxy S6s w/ Squeeze Commander
    4 iPads w/ iPeng

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the two in your first post, but agree with aubuti that the progress bar is fine as it is now (except I would include the elapsed/total time numbers on left and right).

I installed 7.4.1 today and saw the new NP screen like in JJZolx post above. I'm all for bigger artwork, but HATE HATE HATE the chopped off top and bottoms, especially when it results in a chopped off head.

By the way, have you checked out Erland's custom clock screensaver? This is what I am using for now on the Radio, because I wanted to have the time readable from a distance.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

I think the new NP screen on Radio looks great. Now I get a little color & imagery without the goofy shrunken head thumbnail approach. I have no strong affection for official cover art, and this new NP screen very smartly uses the cover art to give some visual interest without making the screen look like the CD page of the Best Buy sale flyer. Nicely done!
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

I like the iPeng approaxh where some of the controls or other extraneous information only shows up if you tap the screen (or vice versa). This way you can choose (via a single tap) to have plain unobscured album art or have it overlaid with control/extra information.

Chopped album art is bad whichever way you look at it... as is a bedside alarm/radio where you can't read the time from more than a few inches away.

I think need a MusicInfo screensaver for the Radio/Touch (and I'd also really like to see visualisations too). Signing up for the bug in my signature so the developers can use the existing code without fear of being hung, drawn and quartered is quite important. Hopefully it'll help keep one of the original ideas of the SlimDevices company alive.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Another reason to open source the Now Playing screen and core screensavers. :-)
    https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194
    Anyone that wants a better Now Playing screen, please also vote on the bug report peterw mentioned.
    With the current source code license it's not possible for a third party developer to do a custom Now Playing screen without rewriting all the Now Playing screen code.

Basically, it would be pretty easy to optimize the Now Playing screen for various types of usage scenarios and with a specific design optimized for the Squeezebox Radio device. However, the problem for Logitech is that they would like to use a design that also works on the Controller and Touch and they prefer to not have too many different choices since that increase the maintenance and support. I completely understand this, but if they made the source available under a license that allowed redistribution of modifications it would be possible for third party developers to ...
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Although this thread seems to have been kidnapped by covert art fetishists, one more mockup for those who prefer the 7.4.0 progress bar over the classic one.

Note that less important info is displayed on the bottom: on the left are play options and play time. On the middle/right is the next alarm and the WLAN status.

I think I like this the best of my mockups. It displays every important info without looking too crowded.

And yes, I voted for Bug 14194 and encourage everybody else to do so as well if he/she is unhappy with the current NP layout.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
    Although this thread seems to have been kidnapped by covert art fetishists, one more mockup for those who prefer the 7.4.0 progress bar over the classic one.

Note that less important info is displayed on the bottom: on the left are play options and play time. On the middle/right is the next alarm and the WLAN status.

I think I like this the best of my mockups. It displays every important info without looking too crowded.

And yes, I voted for Bug 14194 and encourage everybody else to do so as well if he/she is unhappy with the current NP layout.
    I like it! But I still think it's more important to see the next alarm time. I wouldn't care if my alarm clock never showed me the date.

I've never been called a covert art fetishist before.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen